To roof rack or not to roof rack

The stock crossbars hold up fine. I take it off when its not needed. Like NWCX9 said, it is very easy to take on and off. It does help to have an extra set of hands to get up there. Thule uses their quick grip mounting system, which is basically four claws that clamp down on your crossbars. There are four knobs on the inside of the box that you turn to tighten or loosen the claws. Very easy.

I only use the box for family vacations where we need to bring a ton of stuff. Like I said I have a couple little kids and the back fills up pretty quickly with strollers, bouncy seats, toys, you name it. I have no idea what it does to the mpg.

Thanks for the info! I had shy'ed away from the stock crossbars as they are only rated at 100lbs, but it seems both CNF and NWCX9 have used them with no issues. So, I am reconsidering them again, as they are not as obtrusive as the aftermarket bars I'm interested in.

Last edited:
I ordered a set late last week, they should be here later this week. I don't think they look as nice as the ones on the Australian Mazda site but the price is right and they look like they will be more functional than the OEM rack.

Is anyone with a moonroof using a fairing (Thule, Yakima, etc) with their roof rack? I haven't seen one in any of these pics, and I'm curious if it renders our moonroof useless based on where it sits. Pics, thoughts anyone?

Do you guys remove the Thule when not using it or just leave it on the car? Any idea how big of a MPG penalty there is when it is on?

I've debated getting one of those, but the only scenario I can see it being used is when I'm taking a long trip with 7 passengers (ie, no more trunk space). Or do you guys use it because even with the 3rd row down you still need additional space?

I put mine on only for trips. My wife ran into a low profile pkg garage at the airport and crunched it pretty good, so I had to actually buy a NEW ONE. :eek: No damage to the rails or mounts, just to the Thule. SO......be aware of the height restrictions.......and YES I was pissed off at the wife cuz its my rig....but accidents do happen. One just needs to be aware....

Other than that used it for many trips, loaded to the max. No issues....nice unit.

That's fine if you just need the crossbars, but they are selling the rails for $210.60. That's high.

We paid $199 for both when we bought ours, and included it in the financing. We learned from our last SUV to get the rack even if you think you won't use it. You can always leave it off, and use it to add value at trade in time.

If you just bought your CX9 (no vehicle info in your sig) , go back to your salesman and ask if he can get you a good deal on the entire rack.

Last edited:
That's fine if you just need the crossbars, but they are selling the rails for $210.60. That's high.

We paid $199 for both when we bought ours, and included it in the financing. We learned from our last SUV to get the rack even if you think you won't use it. You can always leave it off, and use it to add value at trade in time.

If you just bought your CX9 (no vehicle info in your sig) , go back to your salesman and ask if he can get you a good deal on the entire rack.

You're right. For some reason I thought CX9MD just needed the cross bars. Mine came with the rails and I added the cross bars when I purchased the box.

Guys, I have a 2008 GT so I'm looking allover on line for the best deal for both the rails and crossbars

Just an update, as I got these installed today... After much deliberation, I decided to go with the Prorack Whispbar and the Thule Atlantis 1600XT box. I like the Prorack Whispbar because of its low profile and aerodynamics. I went with the Thule Atlantis 1600XT because it just fits with no overhang, and is fairly aerodynamic in its shape.

Here are a couple of pictures.
5490068502_93af7fa666.jpg
5490068672_ba86060fbf.jpg

Hey everyone,
I just bought a CX9 and I need to extend my luggage space ...I wonder whether I can put side rails and that will be enough to out the luggage on the roof or should I purchase also the cross bars? I called the mazda agency and they said that I will need the cross bars because the side rails will not be able to bear all the weight while it seems to me that the cross bars depend on the side rails and the latter should be enough to strap all the luggage to?
Also I wonder if there is any place that is cheaper than mazdagear and mazdaparts for this kind of accessories.
Thanks

Because of shipping charges, I believe mazdaparts.org probably has the best price on the rack and crossbars.
Very easy to install yourself if you can handle screw drivers.
Put the corssbars all the way back to reduce wind noises when not in use.
Personanly, I think CX9s look more like tall wagons w/o the crossbars -- i.e. Toyota Venza.

My wife insisted we have the roof rails put on. We will never carry anything up there, but she likes the look. It is worth the $250 to make her happy! She also had to have the remote start, trailer hitch, etc....believe she has used the remote start one time in the past month!

Hey everyone,
I just bought a CX9 and I need to extend my luggage space ...I wonder whether I can put side rails and that will be enough to out the luggage on the roof or should I purchase also the cross bars? I called the mazda agency and they said that I will need the cross bars because the side rails will not be able to bear all the weight while it seems to me that the cross bars depend on the side rails and the latter should be enough to strap all the luggage to?
Also I wonder if there is any place that is cheaper than mazdagear and mazdaparts for this kind of accessories.
Thanks

If you don't have crossbars (and I suppose a cargo box as well), where would you put your luggage? Directly on the roof, then tie them to the side rails? I guess you could do that if you were so inclined, but that would risk damage to your roof and your luggage flying away, no?

My wife has around 1,100 miles on her 2011 CX-9 and last week she asked me about adding the roof rails. So, I asked my local dealer if they would match mazdaparts.org pricing and they agreed to. It's a very easy install and my wife loves the way her vehicle looks now.

Back