To roof rack or not to roof rack

typical of forums... simple post turns into pissing contest.

Back to original post... I think it looks nicer without roof racks. But, I too am considering putting roof racks on our CX9 so I can put a cargo box up there on longer trips. There's just not enough room in the cabin for all of our stuff on trips longer than a couple of days.

A triple on your roadie?

CX9 Sport Owner, what are you doing with a triple on your road bike? No roadie needs a granny ring? (bike)

Just kidding of course - to each his own

on the roof rack matter, you recommended the mont blac aero grippers to me a year or so ago and I really love them - light and easy to install/remove.

my cx-9 looks great with my Thule Atlantis aboard and the cabin space certainly benefits from not having my camping gear, golf clubs, luggage, etc inside (2 kids + 1 wife + 1 dog)

First, we have just been having a little fun with your '28lb' mtn bike.

I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about when it comes to bikes. I've been cycling longer than most of these guys have been alive. I was also an alternate for the boycotted 1980 Olympic cycling team. And, if not for a degenerative neuro-muscular disorder, I'd be retired now from professional cycling.

Anyway.....I upgraded my Cannondale MTB from the frame up, saving weight on every component. 13lbs

I also know enough about bikes to know that unless you're a downhill racer, rear suspension is an absolute waste of weight and money. All it does is add weight to the bike, and absorb pedaling energy, wearing the rider out faster and eliminating a lot of technical routes that they simply can't handle. I'll shove a red hot BBQ fork in my eye before I waste my money on rear suspension. Spending a fortune on a bike because the salesman was good at BS doesn't make you an expert.

Now, my Cannondale road bike weighs a whopping 20lbs, but that's because its a 27 speed (3 up front, 9 in the back), 105 group (not Dura-Ace), pump, aero bars, integrated 2way radio system, computer, and rearview mirror.

My problem here is not passion for the factory rack. It's with you. You're not simply suggesting a stronger rack. Heck, even I have done that in the past, if someone needs more capacity. You are insisting it's junk and not good for anything useful, which is simply not true. People come here for real advice, not sweeping, biased opinions based on nothing real.

Finally, In case I didn't say so before, my setup is actually stronger than yours, because the Aero bars are stronger then the standard tubes.

facepalm.gif
Oh gawd I don't even know where to begin with this BS. There is no way a HT with front suspension weighs 13 lbs. It's just not happening. Factory race bikes ar in the 19lb range and you're not saving 6 lbs anywhere. It's complete BS. Sounds like your opinions on rear suspension are stuck in 1980. If what you say where true I'd be on my Kona more than my Fisher. We actually have roots and rocks around here. Do you wear a tinfoil helmet with your 2 way radio equipped road bike? Maybe you need to venture off the rail trail.

Again, if you like the factory rack then that's great. My point is this, whatever you enhance it with, it's still going to have a 100lb weight limit. And, again, if someone does not have a rack on their CX-9 why not look at alternatives? Since this is a CX-9 forum I thought it helpful to post pictures of alternatives so others can make a decision. I scoured the net for a picture of a CX-9 with a Thule 450 on it and came up with nothing. So hopefully someone will benefit. There's a lot of people that have a lot of Thule components laying around like myself and this was the best option for me and increases load capacity according to Thule in addition to creating a less complex setup on my roof. I don't like the factory rack, it doesn't mean you need to feel the same way. Really man, make your own opinion and let people have theirs. It's not worth arguing over.

Last edited:
Hence the extra weight. I went to a triple because of my physical degradation, making it easier for me to still climb and go fast. (Although I never was a masher like Greg LeMond)

And catman, as indicated before, my knowledge of bikes extends beyond what a salesman told me, or what I read in a sponsored magazine. Rear suspension isn't needed if you know how to ride. My hardtail billy goat will go places your rear shock bikes can only dream of. And it STILL weighs 13 lbs.
I can't even count the number of times I've been passed on a trail by some newbie thinking his shiny new expensive full suspension bike was better than my hardtail, only to catch up with them because they are either exhausted from all that extra pedaling, or can't make it up a technical rock face, or both. Rear shocks are for DOWNHILL racing only. Everything else is marketing BS, no matter what new tech they put into them.

Don't call people liars because you don't understand enough about the subject.

I'm calling you a liar that your Crakenfail is 13lbs. I'm calling you out to prove it. You say its a HT with a Rock Shox front suspension. I'll also assume its not a single speed and actually has gears.

On a good day here are some reasonable weights:

Frame = 3 lbs
Fork = 3 lbs
Wheels = 3 lbs
Tires = 2.5 lbs
Tubes (if you are using them) = .5 lbs
Crankset with BB and rings = 1.5 lbs

We're at 13.5 lbs now. Shall we add derailleurs, shifters, brakes, saddle, post, stem, bars, grips, cables, chain, cassette, etc. Yeah I am calling you a liar, no doubt. The only way I would believe this is if it was a fully rigid bike with road tires. Even that would be hard pressed to get to 13 lbs.

That's all I am going to say on the matter at this point because its obvious that you're just baiting. Rear suspension is not needed and neither is front suspension for that matter but you are using that aren't you? It shouldn't imply that it has no place on a bike. And for evey guy you pass on your "billy goat" there's someone on a full suspension that can drop you so your comments are totally ridiculous.(screwy)

Lance Armstrongs "Livestrong" Madone

1232542600022-1dsdk5ken99b8-798-75.jpg

Full specification

* Frame: Trek Madone 6.9, size 58
* Fork: Bontrager XXX
* Front brake: SRAM Red
* Rear brake: SRAM Red
* Brake levers: SRAM Red
* Front derailleur: SRAM Red
* Rear derailleur: SRAM Red
* Shift levers: SRAM Red Double Tap
* Cassette: SRAM OG-1090 (11-21)
* Chain: SRAM PC 1090 Powerchain
* Crankset: SRAM PowerMeter Pro, 175mm, 39/53T
* Bottom bracket: SRAM GXP Team
* Wheelset: Bontrager Aeolus 5.0
* Front tyre: Hutchinson tubular, 700x22c
* Rear tyre: Hutchinson tubular, 700x24c
* Bars: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 44cm
* Stem: Bontrager Race XXX Lite, 120mm
* Headset: Cane Creek integrated
* Tape/grip: Bontrager
* Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace
* Seat post: Integrated
* Saddle: Bontrager
* Bottle cages: Trek
* Computer: SRM
* Other accessories: SRM

Critical measurements

* Rider's height: 1.79m (5' 10") ; Weight: 75kg (164lb)
* Seat tube length, c-c: 500mm
* Seat tube length, c-t: 598mm
* Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 750mm
* Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 565mm
* C of front wheel to top of bars (next to stem): 605mm
* Top tube length: 572mm (horizontal)
* Total bike weight: 7.26kg (15.98lb)

Heavier than a Crakenfail HT MTB with front suspension? LOL

Last edited:
Did you personally design the OEM rack? Not sure why your so passionate about it. If its fine for you then what is the issue? What is the problem with suggesting a stronger alternative on a f'ing forum. Jesus! Did I suggest you throw away your stylish factory rack. Seriously man, no need for the diatribe, I get it. There's plenty of people like myself that may be looking for alternatives, that's why I posted mine up. No need to convince me otherwise, I think the factory rack was lacking and I did not like it. It's not necessary to change my mind man!

Just responding to your rant.....(rant) My opinion was just as valid as your's was......reason being? THEY'RE JUST OPINIONS FOLKS!!!

Time to move on......this is boring. Go thump on Sportowner.....he likes to play this game.....

I think SportOwner is cool, knowledgable and very opinionated...nothing wrong with this, it is after all a public forum. I stand by SportOwner, all you newbies need to stop getting your chonies (panties) in a bunch and stop being so hyper sensitive.

Everyone is entittled to their opinon, no one has to agree to it or like it.

AMEN!

If you have bratty kids and cannot control them, do not be alarmed they do make a vehicle for you. Please consider this as your next vehicle if you need a CUV/SUV that can control your bratty kids.

http://automobiles.honda.com/element/dog-accessories.aspx

The Dog Friendly Honda Element Package includes:
Rear car kennel
Kennel organizer
Pet bed
Stowable ramp
Dog-pattern seat covers
All-season "Dog-Bone" floor mats
Spill-resistant water bowl
Electric fan
Tote bag
Dog Friendly emblems (3)
A leash, collar and dog tag
Bag dispenser

Hell you'll even get that little paw print emblem on the side of your fender just to let others know what sort of occupants you are transporting...LMAO!

After mulling it over for a bit, I've decided to pick up a set of OE roof racks for our CX9. Interestingly enough, it is cheaper locally and my local dealer has 1 set in stock. I will then go w/ the Mont Blanc Aero bars as recommended by Sportowner, as a few seem to have good experience with this combo. Thanks all!

After mulling it over for a bit, I've decided to pick up a set of OE roof racks for our CX9. Interestingly enough, it is cheaper locally and my local dealer has 1 set in stock. I will then go w/ the Mont Blanc Aero bars as recommended by Sportowner, as a few seem to have good experience with this combo. Thanks all!

FYI - I scored mine on Ebay for a fraction of the dealer asking price. It was a distressed box type sale. Nothing wrong with the racks at all, just dirty box and was taped up to repair box damage. Came with Mazda instructions, hardware, etc. Just missing the plastic bolt covers.

I just had to pick up the OEM cross bars and found them on Ebay too for $85 a pair. All in all I think I invested less than $175 for the whole setup with shipping. All I had to buy as I recall was the cover plates to hide the lockdown bolts on the inside.

If you look long enough there are deals to be had both on Ebay, Craigslist or just dealer sights looking to offload excess stock.

After having the roof racks on for a couple of days. I still think the CX9 looks better without them. But, I am starting to get used to the look with them on. So, for me, aesthetically, I still think our CX9 looks better without. But practically, with the limited cargo capacity when the 3rd row is up, having the roof racks (+cargo box) will make it easier for us to pack for road trips.

Any recommendation on cargo boxes? :)

After having the roof racks on for a couple of days. I still think the CX9 looks better without them. But, I am starting to get used to the look with them on. So, for me, aesthetically, I still think our CX9 looks better without. But practically, with the limited cargo capacity when the 3rd row is up, having the roof racks (+cargo box) will make it easier for us to pack for road trips.

I have the Thule Atlantis 1600 on factory racks + rails. I have little kids so its great for storing strollers and all their other crap.

p631415351-5.jpg

p1000766990-5.jpg

I have the Thule Ascent 1500. Seems perfect for a family of 4. Opens on either side. Very stable mounting to stock crossbars. Installs or removes in just 5min!!

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/CargoCarriers/Boxes/29706.aspx

Do you guys remove the Thule when not using it or just leave it on the car? Any idea how big of a MPG penalty there is when it is on?

I've debated getting one of those, but the only scenario I can see it being used is when I'm taking a long trip with 7 passengers (ie, no more trunk space). Or do you guys use it because even with the 3rd row down you still need additional space?

Back