09MS3 - clunking/knocking noise when cold?

binz

hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has noticed or addressed a knocking/clunking sound from the front end (and sometimes rear too) when it is cold outside (-5 celsius or colder). it doesn't usually last very long only for the first few minutes of driving and then goes away.

i was going to take it to the dealer as its still under warranty but feel like it might be a waste of time since its pretty intermittent and now the weather is starting to warm up.

any feedback or input is appreciated

thanks,

:)

You are not alone on this issue. However, I haven't taken it to the dealership yet. And now that it is getting warmer, I do notice it less and less. But I do have a scheduled maintenance service due next week and I will let them know. I will post here with the dealership's feedback (if any)...

You are not alone on this issue. However, I haven't taken it to the dealership yet. And now that it is getting warmer, I do notice it less and less. But I do have a scheduled maintenance service due next week and I will let them know. I will post here with the dealership's feedback (if any)...

thanks skallen. i did some searching on the forum and found that a lot of people have mentioned problems with their sway bar links and from the noise i hear it could certainly be that. i will try to get these checked this week and will post if it resolves the problem. look forward to your feedback too.

cheers

i had the suspension checked and everything is tight. swaybar links are good. they said it could be the shock mounts but see nothing that would indicate it.

(dunno)

i guess i'll have to wait until next winter now...

Clunk

Have your front srtut mounts examined at the dealer. I believe there is a TSB out for this problem and the techs are aware of it. My dealer changed both under warranty and that particular noise is gone now.

I had an issue where the car would clatter/rattle excessively for the first second or two when starting up. Once the RPMs settled, it was fine. I took it in to Gunther Mazda and they informed me there was a TSB out on a Cam Gear/Valve Tensioner (or something similar, I don't remember). They replaced a few parts under warranty and the issue seems to have been resolved. It's been about a month now...

Maybe it's related to that?

thanks guys. i will get the dealer to check the front strut mounts and mention the TSB's.

>>mill0048: i didn't really hear any noises at start-up but more so for the first few minutes of driving and only over divets/potholes so i'm not sure if the tensioner would be the issue but i will mention that too.

thanks

Back