***A/C Compressor squeals TERRIBLE - compressor clutch smoked ***

-Batman-

Well as most everyone is familiar with the flickering a/c problem, in case you didn't know (which most do...) when that light comes on - the a/c compressor comes on, when that light turns off - the a/c compressor turns off.... when that light flickers like that it is TERRIBLE for your compressor, especially if the electrical switch problem is left un-fixed for however many miles

When i picked up my '02 P5 a few months ago i discovered that i, like most, had the a/c flickering problem.

Whoever had the car before me never fixed the problem and thus let the compressor short cycle on and off like that for who knows how many thousand miles. (fyi i'm an air conditioning service technician for commercial and residential applications (cars are different animal...) and just so that everyone gets the point, if you were to turn your house a/c on and off like that it would burn up the compressor/electrical components so fast your head would spin - thus basically blowing the a/c's "engine" so to speak....yeah, NOT good and EXPENSIVE as fu#$)

needless to say i really love this car but that problem pushed me to the point of HATING the car terribly. i've never flip-flopped on loving/hating a car SO BAD in my entire life (eek2)

so what i'm gonna do is fix the a/c fan selector switch that is stated above in the forums, the one where you solder the wire connectors to the prongs on the switch....

BUT that leaves me with a fixed initial problem - but with a compressor that squeals bloody murder and A) pisses me off REALLY bad (rant) and B) a REALLY EXPENSIVE part that is bad. (still works great but cant STAND the squealing. and no its not the belt - i already put ALOT of time into figuring that out + a new belt)

SO WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS:

I've observed that the controls in my p5 are identicle to my wifes old ford ranger truck...

That being said is there a replacement compressor i could get off of ANOTHER vehicle, be it another version of protege, a 626, millenia, ford ranger, mazda truck equivalent to ford ranger, etc.???

i seriously will probably just get rid of the car rather than pay for a new $425.00 part UNLESS i can pick one up from another doner car at the junk yard.

(rockon) Thanks for your help

i eagerly await your response....(couch)

Last edited:
Bump! (rant)

i'd really prefer to not spend X-hundred dollars on a new compressor if i can spend like 30 bucks to go take one from a junkyard

Last edited:
little Red wagon is parting out his car, he might have a compressor, PM him

Well as most everyone is familiar with the flickering a/c problem, in case you didn't know (which most do...) when that light comes on - the a/c compressor comes on, when that light turns off - the a/c compressor turns off.... when that light flickers like that it is TERRIBLE for your compressor, especially if the electrical switch problem is left un-fixed for however many miles

When i picked up my '02 P5 a few months ago i discovered that i, like most, had the a/c flickering problem.

Whoever had the car before me never fixed the problem and thus let the compressor short cycle on and off like that for who knows how many thousand miles. (fyi i'm an air conditioning service technician for commercial and residential applications (cars are different animal...) and just so that everyone gets the point, if you were to turn your house a/c on and off like that it would burn up the compressor/electrical components so fast your head would spin - thus basically blowing the a/c's "engine" so to speak....yeah, NOT good and EXPENSIVE as fu#$)

needless to say i really love this car but that problem pushed me to the point of HATING the car terribly. i've never flip-flopped on loving/hating a car SO BAD in my entire life (eek2)

so what i'm gonna do is fix the a/c fan selector switch that is stated above in the forums, the one where you solder the wire connectors to the prongs on the switch....

BUT that leaves me with a fixed initial problem - but with a compressor that squeals bloody murder and A) pisses me off REALLY bad (rant) and B) a REALLY EXPENSIVE part that is bad. (still works great but cant STAND the squealing. and no its not the belt - i already put ALOT of time into figuring that out + a new belt)

SO WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS:

I've observed that the controls in my p5 are identicle to my wifes old ford ranger truck...

That being said is there a replacement compressor i could get off of ANOTHER vehicle, be it another version of protege, a 626, millenia, ford ranger, mazda truck equivalent to ford ranger, etc.???

i seriously will probably just get rid of the car rather than pay for a new $425.00 part UNLESS i can pick one up from another doner car at the junk yard.

(rockon) Thanks for your help

i eagerly await your response....(couch)

Back