Flashing cel

gsmooth

CEL flashed maybe 5 or 6 times then stayed on.

My guess is either the coil pack or spark plug needs changing.

Coil pack and spark plugs were replaced and EGR valve cleaned about 2 years ago...i think its time again.

This would be the 4th time in 8 years I've cleaned the EGR.

Any other guesses or advice?

(2002, MP5, manual)

Get the code checked somewhere, it could be any number of things. If you don't have access to a OBDII scanner I'd recommend getting one off ebay. Where I live you have to shell out $50 to get your codes read, I found an OBDII scanner for $30 shipped on ebay. It's not the fanciest but it can read and clear codes which is all you really need.

ya, why guess and replace parts for no reason? get the code read or get a scanner...worth every nickel...

Auto Zone will scan for free but won't erase by law. So although you get the code and fix it, the CEL light might stay on. Soooo... you're better off buying one! My friend has a bluetooth one and is coming to test mine tomorow... Usualy it's a mass air flow alert.

Auto Zone will scan for free but won't erase by law. So although you get the code and fix it, the CEL light might stay on. Soooo... you're better off buying one! My friend has a bluetooth one and is coming to test mine tomorow... Usualy it's a mass air flow alert.

autozone erased my code every time. why would there be a law agianst it? if there is something wrong with the car the computer will just throw another cel. i finally broke down and got one.

The computer will also reset the light after you disconnect the battery and pump the brakes.

Or after 3 cycles of it not noticing the problem - it will turn off the light by itself.

Get those parts replaced soon or you're going to fry your catalytic converter.

And no, it is not usually a bad MAF like another poster said above. It's usually bad coil packs or spark plug wires.

Thanks everyone.
I cannot remember the exact name of where I purchased my coil packs last time. Autozone was suggested but I made the purchase on another site (I think Orions?)
Can anyone confirm the name?

guys, how do we know what the problem really is unless the code is read? we can guess all we want...spend the money on the right parts the first time!

Back