Bah.. I broke my toy...

Mazdaspeedgirl

Resident Autocrosser
:
99 10AE MX-5 | 2016.5 CX-5 GT
My stock speed3 was under boost at a high rpm (~5k) when the CEL started flashing, car started hesitating and bucking, then died. It won't restart. I'm waiting on the tow truck now to come pick it up to take it to the dealer.

Car has 58k, motor turns over, just won't start. No pinging or sounds of pieces of block flying out from under the car, so that's good. I don't think overboosting causes the car to not start. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I search the forums, but to no avail.

thx guys.

My stock speed3 was under boost at a high rpm (~5k) when the CEL started flashing, car started hesitating and bucking, then died. It won't restart. I'm waiting on the tow truck now to come pick it up to take it to the dealer.

Car has 58k, motor turns over, just won't start. No pinging or sounds of pieces of block flying out from under the car, so that's good. I don't think overboosting causes the car to not start. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I search the forums, but to no avail.

thx guys.

check all vacuum lines for a leak...i might also suggest checking to see if any of your pipes came off of your intercooler or turbo...just a suggestion could be a easy fix or could be expensive ....at least you didn't blow a hole through your block

I looked at it last night and none of the piping I could see was loose. The dealer's going to look at it today and call me.

The dealer said it's definitely internal motor which is covered by the drive train warranty. I'm ******* LIVID because I just bought this car! I just made the first payment and it blows up?!?! I'm REALLY having a tough time wanting to stick with mazda after the RX-8 and now this. The better honor their warranty, else lose a dedicated customer of 10 years. ><

Maybe prior owner modded the hell out of the car and then tried to bring it back to stock to sell it to OP with no disclosure? That would stink.

Let us hope it was stock and OP can get warranty coverage.

Maybe prior owner modded the hell out of the car and then tried to bring it back to stock to sell it to OP with no disclosure? That would stink.

Let us hope it was stock and OP can get warranty coverage.

Oh I hope it wasn't a heavily modded car prior to her buying it. :(

Best of luck!

The dealer said it's definitely internal motor which is covered by the drive train warranty. I'm ******* LIVID because I just bought this car! I just made the first payment and it blows up?!?! I'm REALLY having a tough time wanting to stick with mazda after the RX-8 and now this. The better honor their warranty, else lose a dedicated customer of 10 years. ><

you bought it used though, can't really fault Mazda if the previous owner was the culprit. Like others mentioned, it could have been heavily modded. Is there a lemon-law in your area? I'd maybe go after the dealer that you bought it from, should Mazda not cover it, although I can't see why not given it's (now) stock.

you bought it used though, can't really fault Mazda if the previous owner was the culprit. Like others mentioned, it could have been heavily modded. Is there a lemon-law in your area? I'd maybe go after the dealer that you bought it from, should Mazda not cover it, although I can't see why not given it's (now) stock.

if she bought it from a private party ...there is a chance that the previous owner may have gotten the warranty on the car already voided which would really suck for the OP

My first inclination is not to believe the dealer. No coolant leaking? No funny sounds? Turns over just fine but won't start. Did they pull codes? I'm calling fuel, ignition, ECU, or sensor type problem, not an internal motor problem.

Good luck. I hope it works out in your favor without you needing to spend money.

OK, the last time I tried starting it (once the tow truck dropped it off at the dealer) I do remember hearing some clunking for a second and the starter lulled to a stop. That makes sense.

The unofficial diagnosis (per the tech who was working on it): When the oil pan was dropped there were a few chunks of metal. Upon further inspection, a hole the size of a dime was found in the #1 piston.

They are waiting for the regional Mazda rep to come out and inspect it so he can give the approval to order the new motor and begin work. It is covered under the original 60k drivetrain warranty. The car has 58k. I bought it 45 days ago from the dealer as a certified pre-owned vehicle.

I made the previous statements about Mazda in anger. I still love my miata and love the speed3.

well if its covered thats badass. new motor for you.. i would push them to get you a new motor, replacing the pistion and machining the cylinder walls if there is damage is a quick fix but not the best fix. not to mention if the head received any damage..

well if its covered thats badass. new motor for you.. i would push them to get you a new motor, replacing the pistion and machining the cylinder walls if there is damage is a quick fix but not the best fix. not to mention if the head received any damage..

i would be suprised to see a good head from any blowup

I think this is the first report of somebody holing a piston I've read on this forum. Does anyone know if the slugs in these cars are forged or not? Seems ridiculous to me ( if they are not forged ) to have hyper pistons in a high comp, high boost motor but maybe Mazda depends on the DI to save them.

Back