Anyone noticed cruise control problems?

Stavesacre21

:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
Has any 2010 Mazda3 or Mazdaspeed3 owners had problems with their cruise control working correctly?

I've had problems with off/on issues on a number of different conditions with the cruise engaged.

First time I noticed it was when I was sitting in cruise while going over hilly areas, and after a long downhill that headed back uphill, it was still engaged, but the car would slow down almost 7-10 MPH before speeding up again. Other times, it wouldn't even re-engage. The Cruise light would stay green but it just wasn't keeping the speed.

Another situation arose after I tried to resume cruise and the light turned from yellow to green but it didn't actually resume...just continued to decel. After about 10MPH, the cruise light turned back from green to yellow and apparently disengaged itself.

Has anyone else here experienced any problems even remotely similar to this? I would take it in but it totally sucks because you can't get it to do it everytime...its hit or miss for no reason. I can see it simply being a case of "cannot reproduce the problem" then just getting my car handed back.

So anyone else have this issue?

I haven't had any problems with mine either. I would take it too the
dealer if its something that can be reproduced easily.

I have had a chance to use the cruise on some longer trips with hills and haven't experienced any problems. It is a Mazdaspeed 3 model.

-Derrick

Sounds to me like i just got the boobox this time around. It's not reproduce-able enough to take to the dealership since it's just about once every 200-300 miles but it's annoying enough to always have you turning the cruise off then on after every hill because you never know it if will resume or decellerate to 5-15 MPH before resuming...if it does. Fanfriggintastic.

Thanks for the feedback though guys.

Stavesacre21,

I have done a majority of my near 11k miles on the highway going back and forth to central PA and to baltimore, md (from pittsburgh) and I most certainly HAVE experience this before. The first time I thought maybe I did something (bumped the decel button/tapped the brake/etc.), but its happened on occasion other times and I now realize something is off! Like you, it's not every time, so diag will be a problem with the dealer...but it is frustrating/annoying. It can be unnerving when you look down and all the sudden your speed drops when you are expecting continued acceleration. Such is life I guess...I still love the damn car!

I have a 2010 Speed3 and have notice this exact same problem. I took in into the dealer yesterday, and had a long talk with the tech there about it. He had no problem getting it to happen after I explained it to him, and he talked to Mazda about it.

According to Mazda, this is a feature of the cruise control programming, and not a problem with any of the sensors or systems. This is the way Mazda programmed the cruise to work.

This of course, is stupid programming and totally sucks, but the dealer could do nothing about it unless Mazda rewrites the cruise control software. I plan on calling Mazda customer service every day and complaining until they do something about it.
That and investigating class action lawsuits.

ckb

Sorry for the away time. Just caught up with this forum again.

Wow, if it really is the way the cruise programming has been implimented...i'd say a reflash is in order. I mean seriously...the program serves but ONE perpose...Sit on the same speed until either a pedal is pushed or a button is pushed. If this is truly the reason, Mazda has got me shaking my head more then ever.

In a sad but very true way, it does make me feel better to realize that i'm not alone on this. I swore I was losing my mind at first.

Stavesacre21,

I, too, have had this prob. I can't believe it's part of the programming b/c that would be too stupid for words. I haven't taken it in to the dealer to complain, but I will, at some point.

Patrick.

Welcome aboard! Yeah, it's extremely ridiculous but i'm starting to learn to live with it. That a some creaks/squeeks from both the dashboard and the back hatch area.

As others have stated, the worst part of it is that you can't reproduce it at all, so unless you catch a MASSIVE lucky break, they likely won't find it. And even if they do, they won't have an answer for ya. I'd like to think that a reflash could fix this issue, but who really knows.

I just wouldn't get your hopes up if you do drop it off at the dealer. I know that's the toughest part of all is when you get all pumped that something will be fixed...and not only do they not fix it, but they claim that they think you're doing something wrong to cause the car to "malfunction". sigh.

Agreed, I wouldn't bother to take the car to the dealer just for this prob b/c they probably won't find it. But if I have to take it in for something else, I'll ask them to look for it.

And I should point out that my "too stupid for words" comment wasn't intended as a slam against ckb. It was intended as a slam against the dealer who said it.

I have had no problems with the cruise on my 3s Sport.

I highly recommend that you start keeping a journal of each time you notice your cruise problem, including the date, duration of problem, and any other relevant information. I had a '99 Protege LX that had a problem with the tranny that was very hard to replicate, and I was able to get it replaced under warranty by turning in my journal after a month or so of entries.

I like the idea of the journal, but I don't know if that same situation would be as useful with the CC. Unlike a tranny, which can be pinpointed and easily replaced, the CC could be a dozen different components from the vacuum canister to programming in the ECU. Even if you bring it to them, it's not like they can agree with you and just replace something specific. However, anything's possible with Mazda I suppose.

If you'd happen to have a reason or correct diagnosis, definately pass it along.

I do 100 miles a day highway and I do not experience this.., For those of you who do simply take it to the stealership, im sure they would fix it or atleast diagnose it...

wow, even the shores know no limit on this problem!

Indeed! And it's just as hard to get Mazda to do something about it down under as it is in the US.

Perhaps the next step should be to speak with Mazda's PR people and threaten to take this ongoing issue to the media (Toyota have not enjoyed the recent media attention on their cruise control issues).

In my opinion, this is quite a safety concern. I'd hate to have a truck bearing down on me at 70MPH whilst my car is gradually slowing down without me noticing it.

If there was a way to get this into the public eye a lil more, it probably would be fixed a lil sooner. The sad truth of the matter is that (as you can tell), there just aren't near as many people that seem to have or notice the problem here. We've got some, but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

Hopefully we'll get a few more onboard.

Back