Anyone noticed cruise control problems?

I'm telling you guys, keep a log of your problems! Also, if you have a good relationship with your salesperson, talk to him/her about it - they may advocate on your behalf with the service department to get something done. When I had the tranny problem with the Protege, my salesguy is the one who recommended keeping the journal and who got the service department to take my issue seriously and do something about it. It may not work for you, but it certainly can't hurt to try it!

I suppose i'll try it for a few. I'm already 11K in and over a dozen times now. Even though it sucks, that's still just about 1 time per 1000 miles. Unlikely anyone will bat an eye

Well, after an 1800 mile trip to Virginia Beach and DC, i couldn't even count on both hands and feet the number of times the cruise disengaged itself. It is ALWAYS after a steep-ish downhill, followed by an either slight OR steep uphill. Every time it happens, you can hear the car letting fully off the throttle while going downhill. It's almost as if the downhill causes the car to just cease all throttle operations for an undisclosed amount of time, reguardless of the new uphill it has just reached.

I would take it to our local Mazda dealer to have it checked out, but unfortunately we don't have anything even remotely called a downhill for a good 60 miles. On flat land there isn't the slightest sign of problems. EVERY TIME it is an uphill which was preceded by a steep enough decline to require the car to let off the throttle. It got EXTREMELY annoying after a couple hours (the intial drive was short of 12 hours).

Can anyone else check in with results of the problem? Anyone dared to have it checked out by a dealer? I find it almost impossible to believe this weird of a problem could be isolated since almost EVERYTHING in this car is ECU monitored so strongly. Something in the ECU is cancelling out the cruise and throttle. That just doesn't sound like any individual part such as the vacuum canister or vacuum itself.

hmmmmm....haven't really used the cc yet on our 3i touring. But we have a long (11hr) trip coming up where I will def. be using it. I'll report back with my experience.

i've read through this thread, and it almost sounds like the problem can be replicated, but not very easily. also, i feel its something in the programming that is messed up. remember, the later model mazda's use an electronic throttle. so, the cruise system does not have any vacuum references - its all electronic. when you set the controls, the ecu will monitor the speed and adjust the throttle accordingly. i agree that keeping a log with the conditions, location, etc. may be the only way to get the dealer to see that there is a problem. maybe a call to mazda corp, too.

That's what makes the electonic throttle such a buzzkill too...that being that if it really lies within the ECU, local dealerships probably won't even be able to do anything, as they all just turn wrenches as opposed to being programmers.

It really makes me wonder if the ECU of the latter 2010 MS3's had a different flash of the ECU, making a reflash benificial. Reguardless, i'm just curious to see who's all experienced it as well. The first couple times it happened I figured it was me, but after more then a dozen times, I KNOW this isn't in my head...it's a real issue with my car.

CTt3P5...i'll be curious to hear your results. The more mountains you hit, the more obvious it becomes. Not sure if it makes a difference, but so far other 2010 MS3 owners are the only people i've heard who've experienced it as well.

I have had this problem constantly on hilly roads. Whether it be large or small hills, it always fails to reengage but stays green like it is engaged. Ugh.

I asked the dealership about this recently wheni I was in for the popping clutch engagement noise and the tech told me that the reason it is disengaging itself at the end of downhills is because the yaw system is sensing that the transmission needs to downshift due to the change in load, however since the car is a manual tranny it isn't able to do so. Therefore that is the reason why is cancels itself out and turns off.

May very well be bull crap but they weren't even willing to look into it any further. Guess u take what u can get.

It could be it. I have never had a car that was DBW. But this never happened on my S2000, Civic, or Teg when I had the CC on.

Consider yourself on the lucky side of it then. Nothing more awkward then talking to someone with you while sitting on cruise only to notice your getting passed by everyone including semis. Kinda gets annoying after awhile.

DBW has some advantages, but i'll take the good 'old vacuum canister anyday of the week.

Well, i'm happy to announce that as of 12/13/10, a new flash of the PCM is available for early 2nd gen Speed3s. I'm not sure if it's the entire Mazda3 line that it applies to, but I know it was available to me.

While having my car in for a check engine code dealing with fuel line problems, they did the reflash...and FINALLY...the cruise control problems seem to have ended. I'd had a good month to test it out and i've yet to have a single downhill/uphill or otherwise disengage the cruise.

If you have had any problems with your cruise disengaging previously, head into your Speed dealer and have the reflash done. I also expected the range/average MPG to be fixed but it's still off by a good 2MPG.

Well worth the time, and FOR ONCE, I can say good job Mazda. 1 problem down...bout 3 more to go now.

First of all, this thread is a triumph of using the Search function. I'm having the same exact issue with the 2010 MS3 I purchased in February but it wasn't until a long drive on hilly roads (Taconic Pkwy) that I noticed it happening repeatedly. I need to schedule my car for service so I will discuss the reflash with them at that time.

mine does this. going down hills makes it forget what it's suppose to be doing sometimes. It just makes me laugh because I like to think it has a quirky personality

Back