Anyone's timing belt snapped and bent valves?

dropped the head off yesterday. Right there he told me it'd need to be resurfaced and definitely needs a valve job. I get to find out for how much today.

*RESULTS ARE IN!*

I have two bent exhaust valves (yeah only two? huh weird) and need valve guide seals replaced and head resurfaced

So now we're at interference if motor is at a certain rpm? or certain load on motor when it breaks? Sometimes it is sometimes it's not? Doesn't make sense..........(unamused)

^^ now remember, it DEFINITELY didn't look bent until they had it all apart. the only thing I can really think of (and this doesn't make much sense to me either) is they came in contact with some carbon deposits at just the right time and bent them just enough. No idea.

ok finally got the head back, 2 new exhaust valves installed, valve job performed, calibrated, and resurfaced and we're good to go :) $334 later that is. eh not TOO bad.

So what DOES a bent valve look like? this. LOL. so bent you can't even tell it's bent:

P4010008.jpg

note the new exhaust valves in the first and second cylinder domes at the top left of each one (technically 3 and 4)
P4010010.jpg

P4010013.jpg

P4010014.jpg

and a lil sneak preview of my painted engine parts (less the intake mani. that still needs white paint too :)

P4010011.jpg

Digging the gold valve cover! Sweet paint job. Glad you got it back together. Still wondering what bent the valve though...

Way offtopic, sorry, but just gotta say.. You have a Ford Focus with a AWD Subaru drivetrain???

^^ I started to get way off topic anyway. oh well.

I was getting there.... got to the point where the engine itself had to be pushed so far forward I would have had to cut out half the front frame in order to get the front wheels to be driven, that I had no choice but to stop. that and the engine I was going to use was a junker 2.5 with maybe 160hp and needed to be rebuilt AND I didn't have any of the accessory components.

So yes it's misleading. I didn't realize that and I've been needing to change the siggy now.

Lucky me though, I've been finding a few Evo V complete drivetrain swaps (into other mits of course) for around 2-3K and that's like 230hp turbo'd awd stuff, and I know for a fact I can make it fit and run so I'm going to that now. so it's not a total loss, I'll just miss the boxer rumble I could have had. lol.

I know I'm pretty late to this thread but I broke my timing belt going about 70 mph and no bent valves. Knock on wood.

Bent valves are near impossible to see in most cases, its just enough to keep the valve from seating completely. From what I've seen with old engines is the valve seats are corroded and need resurfaced before you'll ever see good compression. Also if the engine has been sitting for some time you need to put oil in the cylinders to seal the rings up otherwise your just spinning it for shiggles. A good way to see if a valve is bent is to slap it in a drill press or drill and just spin it. If it wobbles its toast.

^^ neat idea...

thought I'd bring you guys in to a little update at least........I'd put this off for quite awhile, but I just drove the damn thing to the car wash and around for a bit today. sure, the tag is three years past expired but I had my work gear on so I was testing it.

btw it's not a bad little vehicle..... had a little hiccup today with it idling at 6k rpm. took it for a drive and when I got back it idled where it needed to be. must have needed to let the ecm re learn its parameters.

still have a little more work before selling it, but not anything big. (also just realized I didn't take a pic of the engine since it's been running now.....)

but it LIVES!!!!! live to be sold for the other one, which, to my surprise needs a fuel pump replaced AGAIN after sitting for only 6 months (lol)

before and after at the car wash, and another next to my DD

1281936714.jpg

1281936712.jpg

1281936710.jpg

(little imagery of the one I'll be driving....with a mid 90's 626 spoiler.)
1281849092.jpg

A little late but here ya go..

The Protege, 626, etc were non-interference. I'm not sure about the VVT engines on the 01 Miata.

All of the Mazda 3, CX-7, Speed 3 etc are interference.. The chain tensioner is oil pressure operated, so if they skip timing (from people running them low on oil) then yep, you got a valve bender..

I had a timing belt snap on my Probe GT (2.5 mazda engine) and it was just fine.. In the 13 years I've worked for Mazda I've never seen a Protege t belt snap and bend valves.. (shrug)

At this point, it's pretty futile to argue in either direction. There's documentation on here from people whose valves were supposedly bent, and documentation from people whose valves were supposedly not bent.

The point is this - change your timing belt as directed, and you won't have any issues.

It is the point.... However it seems that there are so many variables that there really shouldnt be a solid conclusion.

There are many that have broken the belt and been fine. I bet if i hadnt taken the head off it more than likely would have ran fine. That was a big mistake on my part for listening to my shop teacher.

However, as youve hopefully read back a page or two, i clearly had bent valves, two of them. Not horribly but they were bent.

Im guessing a lot of people break the belt and put a new one on and its fine, but had a couple valves bent, but barely.

yeah, if they get hot and the springs are strong enough it can probably seal well enough to have decent compression, especially if the rings are worn and letting a lot of oil by.

DUDE! is that a GT hatchback? Looks like its in great condition. Hold on to that one those things are bullet proof and fun. I've owned about 6 88-91 626's and MX6's, they are great cars. My brothers non GT hatch (which I sold to him) snapped its timing belt, we tried to start it spinning it like crazy, and I just threw on an old good belt and it fired up and is still going with 30+ mpg and 215k miles. Love em.

Last edited:
^^ it is a GT hatchback. it's an 88 with I think it was, what, 163k on it? definitely has the 2.2 turbo though.

having a little trouble getting it started. re-replaced the fuel pump I did back in november, and unfortunately it's looking like the fuel injectors are stuck shut, as I can spray ether in and it will run. I also took the top fuel line off (from the filter) and it sprayed hard.

now my problem is getting the rubber part that goes to the throttle body to get back ON to it. It seems I cannot move it with the charge piping and all. lol.

so I gotta ask though, do you really notice the boost? I hope so.....

stolen from wikipedia lol...... it looks just like this, same color, but just a bit more beat up paint job. I'm thinking I might go black on black.
800px-%2788-%2792_Mazda_626_Hatch.jpg

Last edited:
bent valves on dohc non-interference engines

Resurrecting this old thread after my friend's 01 2.0l protege broke a timing belt and bent valves. While they are not piston to valves interference engines, these dohc engines are likely valve to valve interference...

this video explains it clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvF08aRCfic

Resurrecting this old thread after my friend's 01 2.0l protege broke a timing belt and bent valves. While they are not piston to valves interference engines, these dohc engines are likely valve to valve interference...

Pretty sure that's not the case with the 2L FS engine.

All our engines were non-interference engines when they left the factory.
Some engines, with time and wear, would evolve into an interference engine.
Slack was created on the connecting rod and the piston would get thrown a tiny bit further and hit the valves.

It is extremely rare and I know of only one guy here on the forum who has bent valves. (and maybe you, if the 01 Protg has the FS engine.)

Last edited:
Back