CorkSport motor mount insert install, gen1 vs gen2 speed3's

uoftguy

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3, Black Mica
I have a 2007 mazdaspeed 3 and ordered a set of motor mount inserts from the good people at CorkSport. I've noticed that my inserts came with instructions which are common with a regular mazda 3.

The instruction say to remove the two bolts of the mount and then "roll the engine up" using a pry bar and another person in order to get the mount out. Why is this? Is it because the bracket connecting it to the transmission is just "naturally" in the way of the motor mounts removal, or does something shift when you undo bolts which requires a prybar to move it back??
http://support.corksport.com/instructions/Axe-6-125-WEB.pdf

I looked at the vids and instructions for a gen 2, 2010 speed 3 and I notice those instructions say to remove the two bolts of the mount and then to remove the bracket by undoing it's 3 bolts as well (no prybar or aditional person involved for 2010).
http://support.corksport.com/instructions/Axl-6-125-WEB.pdf

Anyone know why the motor mount removal/install process differs for a mazdaspeed3 gen1 vs gen2? I thought the drive train was virtually identical. I like the 2010 process better cuz its likely that I will be installing it myself.

We used to tell people to move the engine out of the way, but it's easier to pull the bolts and pull the motor mount bracket. The only reason why we hadn't applied the new instructions to the previous generation is because we didn't have a decent photo of the mount bracket - the new ones are cast aluminum, the 1G is stamped steel.

Just use the unbolt method and use the same torque values from the new instructions - it's easier.

We used to tell people to move the engine out of the way, but it's easier to pull the bolts and pull the motor mount bracket. The only reason why we hadn't applied the new instructions to the previous generation is because we didn't have a decent photo of the mount bracket - the new ones are cast aluminum, the 1G is stamped steel.

Just use the unbolt method and use the same torque values from the new instructions - it's easier.

Thanks for the response. Especially considering its Sunday night! I will use the unbolt method.

I'm not sure about the stamped steel bracket though...I've found some other install threads for motor mounts that date back to 2007 and the photos show a bracket that looks to be cast aluminum, same as the 2010.

Maybe the regular 3 had stamped steel? I dunno. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. Especially considering its Sunday night! I will use the unbolt method.

I'm not sure about the stamped steel bracket though...I've found some other install threads for motor mounts that date back to 2007 and the photos show a bracket that looks to be cast aluminum, same as the 2010.

Maybe the regular 3 had stamped steel? I dunno. Thanks again.

Yep, that's probably the case. My photos of the first gen are of a 3, not a MS3. The 2010 3 does have a cast aluminum bracket. I was probably inferring incorrectly. You mind taking a photo of yours before you take it apart? Just something of the bracket/mount combo.

Thanks,

Jason

Yep, that's probably the case. My photos of the first gen are of a 3, not a MS3. The 2010 3 does have a cast aluminum bracket. I was probably inferring incorrectly. You mind taking a photo of yours before you take it apart? Just something of the bracket/mount combo.

Thanks,

Jason

No problem at all. I'll snap a few pics and post or email to you.

I probably wont do it for at least 2-3 weeks though. I'm waiting for all the snow to melt up here in Winnipeg, Canada. It's not fun working under a car that drips melting snow/slush!

Well, I finally installed my corksport motor mounts. I have to say, these are a must have for the price, AAAA++++

Wheel hop is pretty much gone. The car feels more solid and shifts way better under hard acceleration. Vibration increase is next to nothing and the little that I do feel (at only certain rpm's) will probably go away after a week. I actually wouldn't mind if they stayed.

I have no regrets on this purchase. Corksport is great. Fast shipping and good customer service.

The mount on a gen 1 2007 speed 3 is a cast aluminum piece as shown in my photo below. I followed the Corksport instructions for a 2010. The only thing I would change on those directions is that you dont need to remove the bolt holding the mount to the transmission bracket (red arrow). You only need to remove 3 transmission bracket bolts and the 1 motor mount bolt (blue arrows). Bolts came of easy with an 18" breaker bar. Guys complaining that they are hard to get off must be WEAK-SAUCE. Lol, jk.

IMG_0001-mod.jpg

ok nm...i downloaded the instruction manual...btw corksport, that watermark is very annoying lol...a bit too strong to read the instructions...

*I'm a visual designer.

ok nm...i downloaded the instruction manual...btw corksport, that watermark is very annoying lol...a bit too strong to read the instructions...

*I'm a visual designer.

lol, I know what you mean. But the content is very good! I recommend you go for it. Best bang for the buck in terms of mods.

Back