Cel p2187

sgtjones

:
07 Mazdaspeed 3 Cosmic Blue
I have a 2007 speed3 with 77000 miles. The CEL is on, code is P2187. Any thoughts? Any idea how much it is to fix? It wont pass inspection this way.

My car threw this code when i had a FMIC pipe on the hot side blow apart. Its taking in unmetered air somewhere. Check your stock inlet pipe to make sure its clamped tightly on to the turbo, they have a tendency to slip off. Check all your connections and make sure no leaks are present. Thats the only thing i can think of on a stock MS3.

I just went through a similar situation on mostly stock 2008.5 mazdaspeed 3

Enough that I made a chart that might be helpful, but ultimately your covered under warranty and shouldn't need it. Mine ended up being a bad purge valve, even though they first wasted a bunch of time/money shotgunning it with other parts like high pressure fuel pump, o2 sensor, maf sensor etc...

The information you provide the service writer when you pull up and initiate a repair request is critical. Especially on a vague code such as this one. Is your car generally lacking power and stumbling at idle? Does your car have a hard time starting when you get low on gas, does it stall repeatedly after filling the tank up with gas? let them know in detail how it is acting that is not normal.

all P2187 is, is lean at idle. It doesn't tell you WHY it is lean at idle. deductive reasoning would tell you that it is

1. Truly lean at idle, which would indicate air being ingested that is not being metered by the MAF = vacuum leak
a. Bad / leaking or stuck purge valve
b. clamp or connector loose somewhere on intake tract, would also account for boost not holding​

2. NOT truly lean at idle =
a. Air is not being metered properly.
1. Air straightener missing in aftermarket intake
2. Dirty MAF sensor
3. MAF sensor faulty​
b. A/F ratio not being measured properly = Bad o2 sensor​

Last edited:
Thanks.

I will look into those things. Mazda wanted $91.00 just to check which code it was showing. I told them what it was but they said that they would have to check to make sure and I would have to pay. BTW I now have 77500 miles on it, so warranty work it out...

Have you ever cleaned the MAF sensor?
Autozone can check and clear the light for you free.
If your doing this out of pocket, I would want to be absolutely sure your not throwing money on a shotgun approach like they did with mine under warranty.

Does it act up when running low on fuel or right after filling the tank up?

The purge valve is the cheapest part and is a common fault on both the regular 3 and the speed 3.

I would clean your MAF sensor. And make sure all your clamps are secure going to your bov. Check your intake hose to make sure its ok.

And as super unique mentioned autozone can check ur cel / clear code for free. Or you can buy a dashhawk and check your codes right there in your car.

im tired of this code, its been on for about a month. im ok with the CEL, but do not like the bouncing rpm. i put the the stock intake back in, but CEL is still on,but the RPM wasnt bouncing around with the stock intake?? what could it be wrong??

im tired of this code, its been on for about a month. im ok with the CEL, but do not like the bouncing rpm. i put the the stock intake back in, but CEL is still on,but the RPM wasnt bouncing around with the stock intake?? what could it be wrong??

Hoses are tight?? I had a leaking hose to my bpv and the rpms weren't steady.

i just had this problem a few days ago, exact same bouncing idle. when you put back your stock intake did you reset the ecu? my problem turned out to be a dirty maf. the thing was all black. you can buy maf cleaner spray for cheap and try that. after you clean reset the ecu by taking the positive side of battery off then reconnecting it after a few brake pumps. real easy to do. at least that was my problem. hope it helps. 1 more thing... after i cleaned it i put back my cai and it ran perfect again. so if it runs ok with ur stock intake than put back ur sri/cai!!!

Did you reset the ECU?

i did...and MAF sensor cleaned today. still the same. how do i to find out boost leak from boost gauge? im kinda curious, when idle boost gauge read-18 vacuum, i though it was -20? im not sure

thanks for the info, i realized it was peaking at 21.5 psi, now it only peaks 19 psi.....now i need to spend more time on that (scratch).

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Keep in mind our cars have minds of their own. Sometimes they peak higher than others depending on temp / etc.

Does anyone happen to have a part number for that purge valve and possibly a how to on replacing it? Thank you.

Thanks for all the info you all have provided. I traded in my 07 MZ3 earlier this week for an 07 MS6.

After only driving 100 miles I noticed a check engine light came on. I went to Advance Auto Parts and found the P2187 system too lean at idle speed code. As far as I can tell the car feels fine and the idle is ok. Funny enough, when I plugged the OBDII sensor in, the CEL went away. I didnt clear the code because I want the dealer to see when I take it in.

This car is bone stock other than the Mazdaspeed CAI. I'll check the MAF tonight and make sure all the connections are good.

I did notice that the idle of the turbo 2.3 is louder than my old NA 2.3. I can hear alot of air/vacuum noise (its a consistant sucking noise) and not sure if this is normal. The sucking noise seems to be coming from the front right passenger side of the engine bay near the pullys.

Sorry if this is too much detail but I figured someone hear could use this information and relate it to their own problem. Any suggestions?

Back