Removing headlights

mglavina

R3VO 3VOM
:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
What is the easiest way to remove the stock MS6 headlight? and I mean the entire headlight assembly from the car, not just a bulb. Is there any way to do it without removing the front bumper? Or is it easier if I remove the front bumper? Are there any links/guides to removing the front bumper because I'm not 100% sure on how to do that, and I don't want to start unscrewing random bolts and clamps, lol. I'm also not trying to open the headlight assembly to get into the housing (I'm not baking them), I just wanted to remove it from the car to do some work on them without having them on the car and working through the tight engine bay.

I tried looking around but most threads were on changing the bulbs, installing HID kits, upgrading HID bulb temperatures, ect, ect, ect. I was hoping to get a response as soon as I can because I wanted to take off my headlight to fix my small issue this weekend because of the nice weather that's expected.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have the regular mazda 6 but to install my Hid's I had to take the whole bumper off. There should be a few tiny pins connected to the light above that just need to be popped off with a screwdriver and two main screws below the light to get the whole light unit off. Im pretty sure the assemblence from both the regular 6 and the speed6 are very similiar. good luck

-Gingersteeze-

Remove bumper first, then there are 5 bolts holding each headlamp in place. The main electrical connector on the back is the only other thing to remove before pulling them free. I did this when I installed the new HID bulbs for my low beams & fogs last fall.

ahh, so I see the bumper must come off. Taking off the headlight doesn't seem too complicated but removing the bumper... well that's going to be another story.

Any previous threads on taking off the bumper or guides?

all you need to do is remove the screws by the fender liner(3-4), then the one securing the bumper to the fender, then the screws (6 i think) that are connecting the bumper with the under tray. then slide it forward, have a friend help you.

Yeah, I'll have a friend and my dad help me... doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the help :).

all you need to do is remove the screws by the fender liner(3-4), then the one securing the bumper to the fender, then the screws (6 i think) that are connecting the bumper with the under tray. then slide it forward, have a friend help you.

I'm just starting to disassemble an '02 P5 that I am parting out. There are TWO bolts holding it to each fender - once just inside the wheel skirt and a second up inside just back of where the headlamp starts. One was missing on one side of this car - the other was a surprise! Also there is a little bump on the underside of headlamp that a tab on the bumper sits over - be careful or you will break the tab on the bumper.

Back