Dome light not working?

XK49

:
2003 P5 Yellow
The overhead dome light does not come on when I open the doors. The switch is set to "door", but no lights come on. The light does work so it's not burnt out(setting the switch from door to on). But on is on and not activated by the door. Is there another bulb for the switch door position that could be burnt out?

Does it not go on with a particular door or does not go on with any of the doors? If it is isolated to one door, it is most likely a door switch. If not, you may have to replace the entire dome light assembly.

None of the doors turn on the lights and no other lights come on. Complete dark when I open any of the doors with the dome switch set to "door".

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a bad front dome light assembly because the front dome light/map light when set to "OFF" it also controls the 2nd and 3rd row dome lights to turn off and not come on with the doors. You can turn on any of the three individually by switching it to the "ON" position but if the 2nd row and 3rd row are set to go on with the door but the front one is on "OFF" none of them will come on.

SportOwner, I don't think the lights on the door are in questions here if I understand you correctly.

The front row dome light switch is the master switch for the ones of the 2nd and 3rd rows.
Since the light still come on in ON position, so it is likely not the fuse.
It is probably, as Davicho said, the front assembly switch (the door setting) went bad.

By any chance, did you have someone installed an aftermarket alarm on your CX9.
The door sensor is usually used to trigger alarm. Sometimes, the guy messed up the wiring. Just another possibility.

Ok, I feel real stupid. I didn't realize there was front control switch. It was set to off. Since this overrides the rear setting, it's now obvious why the rear dome lights are not comming. I've only had the car about two weeks and only have driven it twice. Learn something new every day.

Yup, if you want the dome lamps (1st, 2nd, 3rd row) to come on when any door opens, always keep the front dome/map light in the "DOOR" setting. As ceric and I said, the front dome/map lamp is the master assembly that controls the rest.

Hi everyone. Got a 2010 CX-9 GT one month ago and love. It is so much higher tech than any previous new cars we've had. I have had to slowly teach myself new things like how to us keyless entry, satellite radio, automatic wipers, bluetooth, the list goes on.

This forum is great. I have learned tons from all of you. Thanks!

The domelights are controlled by the BCM.
Do you have courtesy light in passenger & driver frontdoor? They will go on if you open the door. They are powered from the same source so if they illuminate your circuit is working. In that case it could be the sliding switch in the interior center lights. I have had that the sliding switch was not making contact on the interior center lights. I had to remove module and could repair it easily.
Otherwise the BCM is that clever that it knows when a door was opened for longer than 30 min ago.. maybe one the door switches is broken?

Ok, I feel real stupid. I didn't realize there was front control switch. It was set to off. Since this overrides the rear setting, it's now obvious why the rear dome lights are not comming. I've only had the car about two weeks and only have driven it twice. Learn something new every day.

I thought so you have experienced the front main switch control problem. It is just how CX-9 was designed and they are all different by makes and models. I had the same question the first time I experienced it but shortly figured it out. Owners manual is always a good source for most of your questions.

Last edited:
Hi guys.
I hope somebody is still following this topic. :)
I have similar problem with my doom lights in my mazda 6 gg 2004.
Before ask about details, i would like to check first "front control switch" but i don't know what is this in my car o_O

Hi guys.
I hope somebody is still following this topic. :)
I have similar problem with my doom lights in my mazda 6 gg 2004.
Before ask about details, i would like to check first "front control switch" but i don't know what is this in my car o_O

it's the light switch on the front ceiling by the mirror, I believe if it's "off" the rear dome doesn't work either... not sure

http://www.sears.com/mazda-08-mazda-cx9-sunroof-switch-interior/p-SPM12796995019

should be set to "auto" (the center setting) so if door is opened at night, there's light automatically.
if the front light works but the back doesn't, then you probably need to change the light bulb.

update: OK, I just checked, sure enough, when I switched it to "ON" the front two dome lights
and even the 2nd row dome light lights up, When I switch to "OFF" both front and 2nd row lights don't light up.

Last edited:
I encountered the same issue: Interior lights would turn on with the switch in the "on" position, but not when it was centered in the "door" position (both front and back). Just before it stopped working, the lights flickered slightly when I wiggled the switch, but then it went dark.

So I pulled the front dome lamp assembly out (simple, two small screws in the sunglasses holder) and noticed there was a little black goop on one of the brass sliders. A little rubbing alcohol, and a bit of sandpaper got it off. It took some dexterity and patience. But now it's working again!

I also pulled out a nasty looking dead bug from the assembly, so maybe it was a dismembered body part wedged in there that eventually liquified. Gruesome, but it's working again and saved me from buying a new assembly. RIP dead bug.

Good luck!

Back