EGR valve location

Rotus

:
07 MS3
I searched and did not find any posts relating to the EGR valve and the MS3.

Can anyone tell me where the EGR valve is located? I pulled that code and I really don't want to have to replace it, so I'm going to try and clean it.

TIA

BTW, do you know if anyone has successfully cleaned one of these?

The mechanic who diagnosed mine tried. It didn't work very well. Once the mechanism siezes the first time, it is never quite right afterwards. You can certainly try though. Expensive damn part. Dealer wanted $435 for it, although I found it online for $100 less. If I had an AP I'd seriously considering just blocking it off and tuning the car without it.

Cool. Do you remember where you got it? I'll save the time for $100 and just replace it.

Last edited:
Finally scraped up the money for the part and it arrived today. With a little luck I'll find time to install it this weekend. I'm due for a coolant refresh, so I'll dispose of the old stuff and fill up new while I have to drain it anyway.
Good time to tighten everything up and check the plugs while I have the engine stripped down.

I guess some of the refund money will be going to this. Good thing we bought a house last year!

I stopped by the dealer and they quoted me $400+. I asked if they discounted or price matched and they don't. Can't fault a guy for trying. I'll be ordering from your link soon.

Were you having really rough idle? I always thought it was the dogbone I installed.

idle doesnt change. u will just save your motor from a s*** ton of soot and carbon buildup. tear that fucker outta there!

I guess some of the refund money will be going to this. Good thing we bought a house last year!

I stopped by the dealer and they quoted me $400+. I asked if they discounted or price matched and they don't. Can't fault a guy for trying. I'll be ordering from your link soon.

Were you having really rough idle? I always thought it was the dogbone I installed.

As it turned out, I didn't save all that much. After shipping and tax it was a little over 400 bucks. The dealer quoted me $435 and I would have paid tax on that so it was cheaper, but not as much as I had hoped.
I have never paid tax on an internet purchase before, so I was caught off guard by that.

My idle hunts more now and drops low which makes it stumble and feel rough. I have a MM too, and that might transmit the roughness more, but it sure as hell isn't going to make it hunt.

Tax on internet purchases ( and mail order, too) depends on where you live. Same state as the shipper, you betcha. If the shipper has a warehouse in your state or if the shipper's state and your state have an agreement to enforce, you will pay. There are some companies that get around this (tigerdirect) somehow, but I'm not sure how they do it.

So your idle hunts with the bad egr on it? Mine hunts a bit, but nomally holds steady at around 900 rpm. It is so rough there (machine gun), but if I just barely put my foot on the gas and take it to 100rpm, it's much smoother. I thought this was because the egr only functions at idle and when off idle it is bypassed.

There are times when there's a rough start and that trips the CEL.

My idle hunts more now and drops low which makes it stumble and feel rough. I have a MM too, and that might transmit the roughness more, but it sure as hell isn't going to make it hunt.

idle doesnt change. u will just save your motor from a s*** ton of soot and carbon buildup. tear that fucker outta there!

So is there a blocker plate you need?

I wasn't wondering if the idle rpm changed, but the quality of the idle (roughness).

Tax on internet purchases ( and mail order, too) depends on where you live. Same state as the shipper, you betcha. If the shipper has a warehouse in your state or if the shipper's state and your state have an agreement to enforce, you will pay. There are some companies that get around this (tigerdirect) somehow, but I'm not sure how they do it.

This may be changing soon. Obama wants to fund some internet safety program by taxing internet purchases now. There is a lot of opposition but it's on the table.

Well, odd request for your birthday, but on Saturday I finally had a day to myself with no one around to get in the way of working on the car. Installed the new egr valve. Pulled the plugs and inspected them. Checked the tubes for oil. Everything looks good. With the new egr valve installed I have not had any hard starting in the last few days.
I got a good look at the recirc hose and in an effort to make it last a little longer I swapped back to the factory bpv. I don't feel any difference. If anything it's a little smoother, but that might be my imagination or the properly functioning egr valve.
Thinking of which, who the hell designs a car with no radiator drain cock or cap on the top, or are they just camouflaged?

Back