vibration in reverse at idle

c4racer

Is this caused by a worn out motor mount?

Does not vibrate at all in D and idling, but does in Reverse.

idle speed seems the same either way.

Which motor mount would cause the vibration in reverse only?

BTW - motor was just swapped, so I had all the mounts off. I did not replace them. Expensive little suckers.... Car has 120K miles and is a 2003.

if i spent the money on a new motor i would spring for some new mounts. thats just me though

Well - I have no issue replacing them, but I wanted to make sure the replacement motor ran and was reliable before spending any more $$ on the car. So far so good in that dept. If there was a certain mount known to cause a vibration in reverse but not drive I would replace that one first. Eventually I will probably go ahead and replace them all. Although that rear lower mount can't be a lot of fun with the motor in the car. In retrospect I should have ponied up for that one during the swap...

Well - I have no issue replacing them, but I wanted to make sure the replacement motor ran and was reliable before spending any more $$ on the car. So far so good in that dept. If there was a certain mount known to cause a vibration in reverse but not drive I would replace that one first. Eventually I will probably go ahead and replace them all. Although that rear lower mount can't be a lot of fun with the motor in the car. In retrospect I should have ponied up for that one during the swap...

I don't think there's any one mount that has much more effect than the others - it's most likely just a cumulative effect.

I don't think there's any one mount that has much more effect than the others - it's most likely just a cumulative effect.

OK - thanks. figures. I'll get round to it eventually. It isn't too bad. I had a co-worker with me today at lunch and mentioned it to him and he thought it was hardly noticeable. Wife might complain after driving our new G37 around for the last two months tho (lol2)

Need some suspension refresh too now at 120K miles.

Back