Lewis7789 2002 Protege5 build thread (tons of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis7789

Evan aka "Lady Hands"
Contributor
:
1995 MX-5, 2006 MZ5, 2001 Yamaha R1
De-modded and sold. 03/2012 :(

Pic from 1/20/2012
g2.jpg

Pic from 9/23/2011
p5-4.jpg

Pic from 8/20/2011
p5-3.jpg

Pic from 6/20/2011
p5sidehigh.jpg

Pic from 4/10/2011
1247938827_vzh46-L.jpg

Pic ffrom 7/2010
4786537869_2b107ef765_b.jpg

Pic from Mid-Ohio 8/2010
4902490918_a4696cab3b_b.jpg

Pic from my driveway 1/2011 (brrrrr...)
IMG_20110120_165100.jpg

IMG_8940.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

2010-08-11174751.jpg

I get this question a lot "Where did you get that front lip?". Here's the How-To I wrote for it. :)

I have done all the work on my car myself (except for the window tint).

Engine;
When I was running the FS-DE; 115whp 110lbs of torque on a Mustang Dyno
AEM air intake, wrapped Spooled^Racing header, Corksport Power Series header-back exhaust w/ Magnaflow catylitic converter, Corksport Urethane exhaust hangers, MP3 ECU, VTCS removal, light Port/Polish intake mani, NGK long-reach plugs, AWR front/rear motor mount, Mazdaspeed 710 cap, HDD 4500k HID headlights, black valve cover, DIY oil catch can,

Now the KL; 168.9whp / 160lbs of torque on a Dynojet
2.5liter JDM KL"DE" (Mazda Xedos9 engine), JDM Mazda MX-6 5speed tranns, AWR motor mounts (all 4), custom air intake with K&N filter, wrapped OBX headers, Outlaw Engineering IM and TB spacers, knife edged intake manifold and hourglassed throttle body butterfly, ClutchMasters stage 1 clutch, Aasco lightweight flywheel, USDM KL47 ECU and MAF, tranny saver brace, MSP axles, MX-6 radiator, SPAL 12" and 10" slim puller fans, semi-gloss painted engine bay.

Suspension/wheels;
Rays Gram Lights 57D 18" with 225/40-18 Yokahama ParadaSpec2 tires, ASA Revolution 17" wheels and 215/40-17 Yokahama ParadaSpec2 tires (daily driving), Enkei RPF1 17" wheels and 215/45-17 Nitto NT-01 tires (track wheels), OEM 16" painted orange w/ 205/55-16 Bridgestone Blizaks (winter wheels), BC Racing coilovers, Progress 22mm rear sway bar, CorkSport front/rear strut bars, Hawk HPS brake pads all around, Brembo blank brake rotors, StopTech SS brakelines, Wilwood racing brake fluid, black Gorilla locking lug nuts

Exterior;
DGM CF hood, rear spoiler and side mirror covers, Blacked out headlights and badges, DDM Tuning HID's (35watt 4.5k), JDM tails, Tint (35% front 15% rear), OEM fog deletes, rear wiper delete, eBay shorty antenea, JDM Familia Sport20 rear badge and side decals, eBay front license plate bracket, painted OEM grille strip silver, bumper hole plugs

Interior;
Sparco steering wheel, AEM wideband and Prosport oil pressure gauge, Kartboy short shifter, CorkSport shifter bushings, TWM weighted shift knob, DaveB rings, Mitsubishi Evo8 Recaro seats, Alpine CDA-9805 headunit w/ iPod cable in glovebox, Alpine Type-S speakers all around, Infinity powered 100watt 10" sub, white LED map lights and dome light, Whistler radar/laser detector, gutted rear seats and seat belts.

I bought my 2002 P5 in October 2007 from Cascade Mazda/Porsche/Subaru dealership for $9500 with 85k miles on her. I was looking for a car I could fit my acoustic upright bass and gear in but something that was still a little sporty. I've owned 3 Honda Civics and I've done all the work on those myself as well. (no rice, not to worry) but I kept telling myself I would keep this car stock... riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So her I am and what I have to fit into my car. It's a big girl... So my options of vehicles are rather limited and I didn't really want to buy an SUV. I was looking at Honda Accords and even a Honda Element but I've always really liked Protege5's and wanted to stick with a Japanese car. But I'm still very happy with my P5. By the way, I'm 6-1" so these instruments are not small... heh-heh
l_32f9ce3d2d9b4958902d5abebc3035-1.jpg

Here is the dealership photo;
stu5rdf.jpg

Last edited:
This is the KL updated section and this pic pretty much says it all. haha;
IMG_20101109_134829.jpg

Swap time...
motors.jpg

265163_10150288141060056_629440055_9574285_4992319_n.jpg

Me doing work. I do all this stuff myself. (with the help of some close friends, of course...)
meinthebay.jpg

IMG_8900.jpg

Video; (Made by member name PrinceValorum)
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cI0iVebmzbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video; just a local highway on-ramp.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jmgupWv5dRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Purchased parts;
-JDM "Millenia" KL curve neck from VTEC Motors on eBay (Sunrise Motors in Canada) = $904 shipped
-JDM MX-6 5-speed transmission from VTEC Motors on eBay (They gave me a deal) = $300 shipped
-partial KLZE wiring harness and JDM KLK1 ECU (came with the motor)
-KL47 MAF and USDM KL47 ecu = $560 shipped (* means from a '96 Millenia) from jonridinhi
-all four O2 sensors *
-complete engine bay wiring harness *
-new distributor *
-MSP axles = $205 shipped (from ScratchNSniff)
-Tranny brace = $24 shipped (from eBay)
-Outlaw Engineering IM and TB spacers = $123 shipped (from Outlaw direct)
-Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch kit, Aasco lightweight flywheel and SS clutch line = $626 shipped
-OBX headers wrapped with black DEI wrap= $330(new) shipped
-KLZE passenger side motor mount bracket = $30 shipped from a ProbeTalk.com member)
-MX-6 radiator and hoses = $125 (O'Reileys autoparts)
-power steering hose and plastic adapter = $15 (Autozone)
-adjustable temp fan relay kit = $35 (Autozone)
-miscellanious nuts, bolts, wire, solder, heat shrink tubing, etc = $40

Parts waiting to be purchased;
-turbo. Wait, what?
-MFactory LSD

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I'm putting Brembo blank rotors and Hawk HP pads in the rear next week. Then waiting for spring for it to be warm enough to paint my valve cover wrinkle red, remove the VTCS and install my rear motor mount, and install my MAM catless midpipe.

Dude... I didn't know you owned a car.. That's awesome!

Yeah. But i just have one. I'm not cool like you rocking two cars...

Your p5 is very clean, I had seen it in some of phen's photos...the VC will really add to the engine bay. One thing I would recommend is to pull your side moldings off, looks so nice.

DSC_7754.jpg

Oh, and the RPF1s look great!

Hey, us silver wagon owners gotta stick together (yippy)

Thanks. And the side moldings are on the list to do in the spring too. Thank for reminding me though! Your P5 looks niiiiiiice. I wanted a white one but they are hard to find up here. What kind of wheels are those?

What, Jasen? Dude, you're car is spotless and freakin sa-weeeet. Will you put up a pic of your MS3 so I can drool on my keyboard for all eternity?

Oh stop, the front has all sorts of paint chips and what not. Looking at the pic you have up there shows how flawless the paint is. That I am extremely jealous of.

Thanks. And the side moldings are on the list to do in the spring too. Thank for reminding me though! Your P5 looks niiiiiiice. I wanted a white one but they are hard to find up here. What kind of wheels are those?

Borbet LV5s. They look nice, but are kind of heavy, and only 15's Good for winter though, especially with blizzaks. And thanks for the compliment, I really like white cars too :)

I bought this MAM catless midpipe used from a friend last fall. But I was just wondering about the exhaust flanges. They are both welded on at an angle tilted the same way. It came off a MSP so in theory it SHOULD fit, no? I just don't remember my header or cat back being angled like that. Anyone have any info?

Last edited:
sweet car dude! looks really awesome with those rims on. wat is the spec on those wheels? And how hard was the vtcs removal?

Thanks, mang. The wheels are 17x7 +45 offset. I haven't done the VTCS removal yet, I'm waiting till spring when my garage is a bit warmer. heh-heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back