How hard is it to chnage the front and rear rotors?

sounds to me like you might need the rotors cut, when was the last time you had them done?

Never. Everything is still original except for the tires and bushings. So new pads for the front (have to check the rears) and rotors turned. Is turning much cheaper than new ones?

I'd replace the front rotors if they vibrate at high speed brake application. Usually means you have a "hot spot" which can sometimes be seen by ispecting the rotors for a blueish reflection.

Make sure you seat the pads after you replace it all as well. They usually throw instructions on that process into the pad box, so I won't repeat that here.

Ah, so I do have to bleed the brakes, it's been so long since I've done it myself, I wasn't sure. The steering wheel pulsates at high speeds when applying the brakes but I don't recall any associated pedal movement. Also, I didn't notice any lip on the rotor's edge. Do the rotors need to be replaced?

Be sure to use the "Brake Quiet" on the back of each pad........ I purchased the Wearever Silver Brake Pads from Advanced Auto; Part No. MKD 1044, Pads; Semi-Metallic; Orig Equipment Replacements for $21.99. The last pair went for about 45,000 miles which is what I got out of original brakes. For me the only reason to turn the rotors would be if they are not smooth (worn brake pads down into the rotor). Rotor's are not that hard to replace, but in all the vehicles I've owned I've only replaced one (1) pair and that's because they failed the inspection (too thin) and that was at 247,000 miles, so needless to say and this is just my personal opinion, don't replace them unless they need to be replaced and again that's my personal opinion. Nice thing about Virginia is the annual vehicle inspection.

Thanks. So you paid $50 for the front pair? Wow. If I took the rotors off, would a shop turn them for me, and if so, what is the general cost? The reason I need them turned or replaced is the vibration I have when braking. As I understand it, that's related to the rotors.

I am not a professional but from what I understand rotors are not smooth to begin with, they are... can we say wavy?
when you have the rotors turned it puts the waves(not visible to the eye) back in the rotors after the pads have smoothed all the waves out. The waves are put into the rotors as a way to aid in the opening of the calipers when you stop pressing on the brakes and are just coasting or accelerating.
Rotors should be turned everytime pads are replaced.

At least this is the way it was put to me many years ago, If we have an ASE certified mechanic on here please set me straight if I am wrong as I would not like to share inaccurate information.

It ain't like the old days when we could just resurface each time we did a brake job (Used to be a certified mechanic... 25 years ago). (cheers2) Now the rotors are made to a certain spec. They need to be measured to ensure there is enough left to turn. Most people refer to those waves as grooves. Most people refer to waves as the inconsistancies that make a rotor imperceptively wobble... causing a pulsing action in the brake pedal or a wobble in the steering.

I've done a lot of non-certified work on cars since leaving the auto industry. Most rotors are designed to be replaced with the pads these days.

I am not a professional but from what I understand rotors are not smooth to begin with, they are... can we say wavy?
when you have the rotors turned it puts the waves(not visible to the eye) back in the rotors after the pads have smoothed all the waves out. The waves are put into the rotors as a way to aid in the opening of the calipers when you stop pressing on the brakes and are just coasting or accelerating.
Rotors should be turned everytime pads are replaced.

At least this is the way it was put to me many years ago, If we have an ASE certified mechanic on here please set me straight if I am wrong as I would not like to share inaccurate information.

Those huge wheels make the brakes look tiny.

Honestly you have to see my brothers Mirage with 19's...those rotors look tiny...Honestly the 5 has some of the bigger breaks I've seen on a compact anything...They are bigger than the brakes i had on my 96 Dodge Caravan
( Dont know if you can tell but I love these wheels...lol )
3971190019_large.jpg
19" Mille Miglia EVO5 on 225/40 tires

picture.php
19" Sport Edition KV5 on 215/35 tires

Back