Anti-Freeze/Coolant

I just noticed my coolant was getting low and was wondering what type of coolant/anti-freeze would be best to buy and use, It's been a good while since I had the shop replace it and was kinda thinking they might have forgot what they used when we replaced our radiator. I don't need anything expensive just something reliable. Thank you ahead of time.

I would go ahead and do a flush if you've never done it before, mixing coolant when you're unsure of what's inside could lead to bad things.

i flushed mine a few months ago. several people on here told me as long as the coolant is green then you should be fine. i ended up using Peak coolant and haven't had any problems, and I'm sure Prestone would work great as well.

coolant color

I noticed that my coolant is orange/brown. A friend told me that some coolants are that color, I've only seen neon green. Can you guys comment? Also, glycol, dex cool, g12....what's the diff?

use the neon green stuff - don't use dex-cool, it's not formulated for our cooling systems.

follow up

how do you dispose of coolant? My local PepBoys said they don't take used coolant

edit: I found this http://www.dswa.com/, apparently they have pick up dates for coolant.

But I have a different question, is flushing coolant out difficult at all?

Last edited:
nopes not at all.
and i usually take it to the local school auto shop and he put its in his 50 gallon drum thingy for me for free.
but i think you can take it to like shops and htey will take it

nopes not at all.
and i usually take it to the local school auto shop and he put its in his 50 gallon drum thingy for me for free.
but i think you can take it to like shops and htey will take it

I asked PepBoys and they said no dice. I guess I should call around.

take it to a dealership. i take mine to honda, becuase i used to work there, but most dealerships shops will have ways to dispose of it. or pour it in your neighboors lawn.

Make sure you follow up to ensure you are not still losing coolant (indicating a problem).

I just noticed my coolant is kind of an Orange/Brown as well. didnt know if these motors were prone to having exhaust leaks into the coolant channels in the block. I am not losing any coolant, its been full for the last month, and I dont run hot either. I notice every once in a while I will get that sweet smell of coolant, but I just kind of blow it off and blame my aluminum radiator. have never had a car with one! any feedback would be great

try a flush and see if that still happens. cause i had that before and i flushed and it didnt happen anymore.
and i just checked, Autozone does free fluid disposals.

Back