16 minute transmission fluid change

And for those of you that don't know, the "FOMOCO" fluid that they're talking about is:

Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

I've been using this stuff since back in my Focus days, and I've found it pretty hard to beat as far as manual transaxle fluids go.

true meicalnissyen. I know fluids come with the pump. THe one i have for my scooters gear oil is going on like 20 years old. lol but i can sit right there and pump watch to see if it comes out. lol not ragging. We once used a tube, and a guiness bottle for a funel. I have apic somehwere! lol

What is the mainanence schedule fo rthe tranny in our cars?

true meicalnissyen. I know fluids come with the pump. THe one i have for my scooters gear oil is going on like 20 years old. lol but i can sit right there and pump watch to see if it comes out. lol not ragging. We once used a tube, and a guiness bottle for a funel. I have apic somehwere! lol

What is the mainanence schedule fo rthe tranny in our cars?

Q30K

BUt I am a huge fan of the 500 mile initial change most of the actual wear of metal to metal moving parts occurs very early as the get aquainted, and knock off high spots

a magnetic plug, and an early change gets the resulting debris out of the system

And for those of you that don't know, the "FOMOCO" fluid that they're talking about is:

Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

I've been using this stuff since back in my Focus days, and I've found it pretty hard to beat as far as manual transaxle fluids go.

YUP,
And strick was kind enough, over the phone,to fish that number out of the forum while i was standing at the ford part counter, getting dumb looks from the parts guy

17 and change per qt

Dunno if it is 2.5x as good as RP, or redline, but it does feel good

im pretty sure the manual calls for 2.6 quarts, if you are just filling it with all 3 or untill it starts to pour out, you are over filling.

im pretty sure the manual calls for 2.6 quarts, if you are just filling it with all 3 or untill it starts to pour out, you are over filling.

Step 7 Fill the differential until the fluid starts draining back out of the hole.

where are you getting your steps from??

the innanetz, that one came from some GM truck diff manual

but the principal is the same.

the fill port is placed so that you can't overfill it, the excess will just run out

the innanetz, that one came from some GM truck diff manual

but the principal is the same.

the fill port is placed so that you can't overfill it, the excess will just run out

lol, go read the mazda specs i know that normally every diff and tranny you just fill up till it runs out...but if you read the repair manual it says like 2.6 quarts or something ill post a screenshot of it if you want.

The correct allowable level of the transmission fluid is a range shown here from the shop manual.

TrannyOil.gif

HIGH full is "till it runs out", LOW full is "ABOUT 10mm below that level".
All that is presuming the car is level.
The 2.6 quarts is somewhere between those two and is really a number to give you an idea how much to buy, or how much to expect to put in.
It is not rocket science.

But like I said, make sure you can get the fill plug out BEFORE you drain.
It is not a "real" bolt, and is EASILY rounded off if it is in there tight and you are not careful.

Last edited:
The correct allowable level of the transmission fluid is a range shown here from the shop manual.

TrannyOil.gif

The 2.6 quarts is somewhere between those two and is really a number to give you an idea how much to buy, or how much to expect to put in.

It is not a "real" bolt, and is EASILY rounded off if it is in there tight and you are not careful.
genau Recht

THANK you for the research

TrannyOil.gif

Thanks for posting. So assuming you put in ~2.6 qts. There's no way to verify that you're between the high and low mark in the diagram is there? It's probably an educated guess? Or wait till it oozes out and then syphon a little bit more out?

what i did is i put about 2.5 and the stuck my finger in as a dipstic up to my first knuckle then proceded to pump from there..i actually probably put 2.8 in

Thanks for posting. So assuming you put in ~2.6 qts. There's no way to verify that you're between the high and low mark in the diagram is there? It's probably an educated guess? Or wait till it oozes out and then syphon a little bit more out?

You are making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

If you don't want to fill until it oozes out (what I and most people do), then your finger is your friend.........
You are putting some lubricant in a hole.
A fill hole that is specifically designed in the side of the case.
It is designed that way so that it is virtually impossible to overfill if the car is level.
It would take an idiot, going out of his way to defeat the built in overfill protection, to **** this up.

You are making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

If you don't want to fill until it oozes out (what I and most people do), then your finger is your friend.........
You are putting some lubricant in a hole.
A fill hole that is specifically designed in the side of the case.
It is designed that way so that it is virtually impossible to overfill if the car is level.
It would take an idiot, going out of his way to defeat the built in overfill protection, to **** this up.

(mswerd)

Back