The Infamous MSP Clunk: Info & Solutions

You should fix it yourself, it's very easy to do! I had a hell of a time getting the endlinks off but the replacements I got will be easier to remove, you can use a wrench to hold them as you loosen the nut.

I also can't stress enough you need marine lithium grease, any other normal grease will only last about a week before it squeaks again.

You should fix it yourself, it's very easy to do! I had a hell of a time getting the endlinks off but the replacements I got will be easier to remove, you can use a wrench to hold them as you loosen the nut.

I also can't stress enough you need marine lithium grease, any other normal grease will only last about a week before it squeaks again.

I seriously don't understand how you guys have so many issues with the bar. Mine squeaked every winter, but in the summer it was always fine. I replaced my bushings once in 38K miles.

Yeah I'm gonna have to do it soon, mine don't SQUEEK at all, it sounds like a damn midget is back there with a hammer..

I hope mine last that long, I have put over 10k miles on the bushings so far. The stockers were absolutely trashed after almost 100k miles.

Yeah mine are squeaking bad... sounds like someone is ripping my car apart! It was gone for a week with the lithium grease I put on there initially, but I am going to try to find some marine grease and give my suspension a facelift.

I never saw the Marine grease until one day I was at a motorcycle shop and they had a bunch of it. Apparently its very popular for dirt bikes.

Necropost... o_O

I have the clunk fix bracket and I love it, but, recently, unbeknown to me, one of the screws backed itself out. I imagine it was a week or so ago because an increasingly persistent noise I had been meaning to investigate mysteriously ceased. In the interim, while leaving a parking lot, I scraped pretty badly, striking one of the brackets (the one missing the screw, naturally) and bending it completely backwards. It's in one piece, but it's misshapen and I don't have the equipment to bend it back into shape...

Which bolt backed out? Was it the drivers or passenger side?

Any pics?

Did you get it fixed?

I just installed new bushings and about 3 weeks into the new ones, they started clunking and squeaking worse than the old ones did! What now!? Should I just lube them up? Also one of my end links is out which is really getting me pissed... I saw the ones from AWR and they're only 100 bux. Are there any cheaper ones? I would rather not have to replace anything because I'm in school and have no time and no cash, but I would also like my car to perform like its supposed to.

The grease-able bushings are the best option. After lots of testing it became the longest lasting solution provided the bushings were greased every 5000km (3000 miles) with a lithium water repellant compound.

I still sell the bushings on my website.

http://www.autoxracing.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,5/Itemid,25/

Is there an update with regards to the clunk fix?? I can't buy the bracket anymore!! HELEEEP

I have the clunk fix, but clunk came back like 6 months later. So used Teflon tape works like a dream!

Found this recently when doing research at work.
Looks like LR had a way to fix the customer clunk complaint with adding a rubber spacer and re-bolting down the strap.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic30622.html

Thought maybe someone would like to try this. (buy rubber from mcmaster or something)
I may try this if and when I decide to undo those brackets again.(or when I buy grease-able bushings).

At this point with no chance, so it seems, of getting brackets... I am willing to try anything! I am tired of pulling the bushings off every few months to re-grease. Once it warms up I will try this. I had success with swapping out the bushings with poly bushings but that only gave a few months of relief before the clunk came back. Highway driving is fine still, but when cruising through town... gotta love that sound...

Please someone make some brackets! HAH

Last edited:
Will the Protege5 rear subframe fit on the MSP? If so, what are some thicker rear swaybar options for the Protege5 (minus the MSP racing beat one). If the p5 rear subframe fits on the msp, I'll be glad to swap it out and look for protege5 rear swaybar options.

probably mentioned already but make sure you guys really torque down the endlinks. I actually just installed my clunk fix that i bought a couple years back and it felt great till after an autox i had a huge clunk and it just got worse. Greased them again with no change, removed the sway to isolate the problem but while doing so noticed it was pretty easy to remove the bar. Torqued it back up and never had a problem. Have had 2 msps with stock location and stock bushings, never greased them, they squeaked but never clunked. So far the only clunk i got was from loose endlinks not bad bushings.

I replaced my rear sway bushings about 4 years ago and just started getting a clunk about 6 months ago. No clunk bracket just poly bushings and marine grease.

Back