The Infamous MSP Clunk: Info & Solutions

Wagonbacker9

:
2004 'Hoe
So, as a collection of the info on the infamous MSP clunk has yet to be made... I'm going to start one here.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the rear sway bar on the MSP makes a funny noise after about 12K miles on the bushings. They wear prematurely because of a design flaw in the mount placement/bar design. This can be resolved by swapping bushings (AWR makes a urethan set that is fairly cheap) every 4 oil changes or so... or by installing the highly-recommended AXR Clunk Fix Bracket Kit.

Please feel free to add any useful info to this thread as you see fit. I'll add it to the first post.

Factoids:
Enlinks between the MSP and standard Protege are not interchangable
OEM Endlinks tend to wear out

Last edited:
I will be upgrading both front and rear sway bars to the Mazdaspeed/Racing Beat bars on my Protege5. Do I need to be concerned with the MSP clunk? If so will the AXR Clunk Fix work on my car?

Last edited:
yes, and yes. its inherant to the MSP sway bar design. you also may want to look into endlinks, depending on what struts you're using.

The bars are used and include the original MSP rear links. Currently I have stock struts but I am planning on upgrading to Tokico Blues. Will I need front links as well?

Last edited:
the rears are the bigger deal... I don't believe standard endlinks will work with the MSP sway bar.
They do .... but I wouldn't advise it. the Reg. endlinks are shorter than the MSP ones. You would have to put a major load on the rear suspension to get them to meet up the the mount holes. ( I know this the hard way LOL. I was sold the wrong ones at first. )

yes for the most part. The only thing I changed was the springs. I went to some lowering springs and had to cut off the stock swaybar links. When i got the new ones in I noticed they were shorter than the ones I just took off. after I installed them of coarse!

how much does it cost to get the noise to go away?
Depends. If you decide to just keep replacing the bushings .. then it'll keep costing you money each time you replace the bushings.

The AXR Clunk Fix Kit is $215. I bought one for my MSP and it was one of the best mods I ever put on the car.

Assuming that is true, 4 really.

Find the AXR kit used.
Make your own.
Keep replacing bushings.
Generate enough interest for a GB of them that would get them to do another production run.

So after seeing the price of the AXR fix and learning they might no longer be making them, I can't help but wonder.

Would it be better to just shop for an entire new sway bar with endlinks and whatever else is needed to install? I'm sure it would cost more, but if you're saying the MSP design is not so good then maybe it would be worth it.

edit: what about GT Spec? I searched their website a few weeks ago and wasn't sure if they make a rear sway bar.

I don't know of GTSpec making a sway for our cars, but the AWR bar is another alternative. There may be others but that exist but the AWR is pretty affordable and a fair upgrade even over the RB bar.

Assuming that is true, 4 really.

Find the AXR kit used.
Make your own.
Keep replacing bushings.
Generate enough interest for a GB of them that would get them to do another production run.

I am considering making a small run for those that sat on the fence too long. Start a list and see what interest u can get.

This next batch will b powder coated a special color. (Probably Red)

If there is significant interest I will order Aluminum Collar clamps to ship with the shinny red brackets.

I will contact the shop and get the new price for 2010.

I will come back in a few weeks and see how much interest there is and present you with the price.

I still have the clunk after installing the AXR clunk fix?? any suggestions??

Back