HID Confusion?

I have an 07 MS6 with factory installed HID's. The dealer wants $270.00 per bulb to replace them! My confusion is this, why are there websites selling bulbs for $40-$80? What is the difference between them? The dealer said that they didn't have a part number for the factory bulbs so they couldn't tell me what type they were, only that they could order them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

its definately not 2 minutes..

unless u have girl hands then yea but if u have man hands... u have very little room to work with

Def not a 2 minute job,
can do it thru the fender wells with small hands, but very difficult and you will get all scratched up.
Easiest but most time consuming way that I found is to remove front bumper and take headlight assemblies out. Passenger side plug is really short so it's kind of difficult to get the connection without an extra set of hands.

OK, so I must be a freak or something as I had absolutely no problems. I just retrofitted a set of TSX projectors in my 06 GT as the stock ones sucked. Used the HID bulbs that were in the tsx projectors, but turns out one was dead. Replaced it with one of the stock ones in just a couple minutes.

BTW, if you are using the stock projectors and HID's you really need to switch out to TSX projectors. They provide dramatically more output.

Tony

these dont "pop" out in minutes.. theyre fairly hard to reach.. if anyone says they did it that fast.. they changed to wrong lights.. ive got 8 up front total.. the inside ones are easy enough..

and since you switched the projectors is it even the same job to install these?? not knocking you, maybe you made a switch that makes changing the bulbs easier?? that would be nice...

these dont "pop" out in minutes.. theyre fairly hard to reach.. if anyone says they did it that fast.. they changed to wrong lights.. ive got 8 up front total.. the inside ones are easy enough..

and since you switched the projectors is it even the same job to install these?? not knocking you, maybe you made a switch that makes changing the bulbs easier?? that would be nice...
Wow, seriously, I know what I'm doing. I own a shop that designs parts and builds race cars for a living.

The outside one (Low beam HID) on the passenger side is easy to get to. The driver's side is a bit more difficult, but still easily possible without removing the headlight.

I retrofitted TSX projectors into the stock housings. The projectors are bolted to the stock projector plastic adjustment rings. The outside of the headlight is identical to stock. Actually, the TSX projector makes swapping the bulbs more difficult than the stock ones and it's still easy.

Tony

When you pull the plastic covers off the headlamps, the D2S bulbs are fairly easy to see. The tricky part is getting your hands in there to get the bulb out and plug the connector into.

As I said earlier, I did mine with the bumper off and pulled the headlights totally. 5 bolts, and took me 10 minutes per side with the bumper removed. Not tough. Even with the bumper on, you could get it off in 15-20 minutes taking your time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back