Mazda 5 and Thule fairing

am7555

Hi to all,

I have a Mazda 5, 2008 with Thule square bars on the roof. Since they produce too much noise, I decided to buy a thule Fairing. My bars(also Thule) are 50" long and the fairing is only 38" I asked if that was the right one for my car and the person at the store said it is the right one. I look at the car with the fairing on it and it seems quite small, it doen't even cover the towers that hold the bars. The part number for the fairing is 871XT.

The question is, if any of you has had similar experience? The noise is less but it looks funny. Oh, I don't have a sunroof.

Javier

Same experience as you. I found little reduction in noise and a slight increase in fuel mileage so I just took it off.

That doesn't sound very encouraging, Switek.

The only problem is that once it is assembled they - Rack Attack - don't accept returns.

I wonder if the 44" fairing would work effectively. Has anyone done it?

Javier

Yakima states the fairing size is 44". That's what I use for my 5 with the Yakima rack I have. I don't know what would be different if you're using a Thule rack by going with the 44" Thule fairing. My Yak fairing covers the distance from raingutter to raingutter.

Yakima states the fairing size is 44". That's what I use for my 5 with the Yakima rack I have. I don't know what would be different if you're using a Thule rack by going with the 44" Thule fairing. My Yak fairing covers the distance from raingutter to raingutter.

Is the wind noise gone?

I have the oem 2012 roof rack made by Thule

Really need a fairing as the wind noise is ridiculous

I have the OEM roof rack and a larger fairing, the 872XT. Old pic I've posted before is below. The wind noise is different, but not gone by any means, with the fairing. Also just be aware that you're going to see decreased mileage. Just put another 2500 miles on mine over the past two weeks on long highway trips and my best mileage was 24.5, but the average over that entire distance was 22.5 MPG. Granted this is on winter fuel, so mileage is even lower than it would be in the summer. You can expect similar mileage impacts while you have the rack and fairing on. Creates a lot more frontal area that increases drag and pulls your fuel economy down.

IMG_20131123_173023_737.jpg

Thank you

I guess I don't want a fairing then

I use my roof rack twice a year

Currently in winter gas
6 people
21 cubic feet Thule box filled
Winter gas
Outside temp 19F
I am getting 20MPg

I have the OEM roof rack and a larger fairing, the 872XT. Old pic I've posted before is below. The wind noise is different, but not gone by any means, with the fairing. Also just be aware that you're going to see decreased mileage. Just put another 2500 miles on mine over the past two weeks on long highway trips and my best mileage was 24.5, but the average over that entire distance was 22.5 MPG. Granted this is on winter fuel, so mileage is even lower than it would be in the summer. You can expect similar mileage impacts while you have the rack and fairing on. Creates a lot more frontal area that increases drag and pulls your fuel economy down.

IMG_20131123_173023_737.jpg

The fairing does help with wind noise. I bought the rack from a member here and drove it without the fairing and couldnt stand the wind noise so i bought a fairing a week after and reduced it. There is still noise but its bearable and i have the same size fairing as orangutan posted. Only complain about the fairing is that the 2 outer resting point doesnt touch the roof

The fairing does help with wind noise. I bought the rack from a member here and drove it without the fairing and couldnt stand the wind noise so i bought a fairing a week after and reduced it. There is still noise but its bearable and i have the same size fairing as orangutan posted. Only complain about the fairing is that the 2 outer resting point doesnt touch the roof
thank you

Maybe I can check it out in person since you are in La

Back