Just traded my 2007 CX7 GT for a 2010 Mazda5 Sport MT

ljmattox

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
That's what I get for "stopping by for a test drive".

My CX7 lease was up in May, so we'd been shopping for a replacement. Our needs had focused considerably from three years ago: we adopted a GSD puppy who's now 120+ lbs and does police dog training, and we needed a vehicle that can accept his training kennel (40 x 30 x 27).

You'd be surprised how many SUV'ish vehicles can't hold a 30" high kennel.

Anyhow, not wanting to buy some leviathan, we tape-measured a 5 finally at the car show...and it would work. I'd never driven a manual-shift Mazda5, found a dealer with several, so we stopped by for a test drive during the lunch hour.

So we had a blast driving it...and when we returned, the folks there kept putting numbers on the table till we said "done".

I put the first 100+ miles on it this morning, very enjoyable. It's quieter than my CX7, I'd say rides smoother, of course it's far roomier, found a comfy seat position. I'm eager to see how the fuel consumption works out for our normal driving "patterns".

One unexpected surprise was this morning: I called Sirius to have the radio subscription for the CX7 cancelled. The service agent said they'd send me a refurb'd Starmate5 for the new car if I'd keep the subscription. Sure, why not? I want to install a NAV/Bluetooth/Sirius HU in the future, so it'll be swell not having to pay 200+ for Mazda's Sirius unit that I'd only use for a short while.

That's what I get for "stopping by for a test drive".

My CX7 lease was up in May, so we'd been shopping for a replacement. Our needs had focused considerably from three years ago: we adopted a GSD puppy who's now 120+ lbs and does police dog training, and we needed a vehicle that can accept his training kennel (40 x 30 x 27).

You'd be surprised how many SUV'ish vehicles can't hold a 30" high kennel.

Anyhow, not wanting to buy some leviathan, we tape-measured a 5 finally at the car show...and it would work. I'd never driven a manual-shift Mazda5, found a dealer with several, so we stopped by for a test drive during the lunch hour.

When I eventually replaced my Mazda5, one of my strong preferences is the cargo area must be tall enough to fit my 54cm bike in upright with the front wheel off. I've never measured it but the many times I looked at the CX7 cargo area, it just didn't seem tall enough as you've already eluded to. SUV'ish vehicles have way too high a ground clearance cutting into the cargo area height and I don't want anything bigger like a CX9. Since I don't like the new Mazda5 design, I might have to consider another make altogether when the time comes (possibly an Element). Anyone know if the new Forester cargo area is as tall as the Mazda5?

When I eventually replace my Mazda5, one of my strong preferences is the cargo area must be tall enough to fit my 54cm bike in upright with the front wheel off. I've never measured it but the many times I looked at the CX7 cargo area, it just didn't seem tall enough as you've already eluded to. SUV'ish vehicles have way too high a ground clearance cutting into the cargo area height and I don't want anything bigger like a CX9. Since I don't like the new Mazda5 design, I might have to consider another make altogether when the time comes (possibly an Element). Anyone know if the new Forester cargo area is as tall as the Mazda5?

This is what you meant to say, right Prof?

Back