Turbo Rotary Mazda B2600i Minitruck Build!

well god knows i would love a 20b swap, i mean who wouldnt. but its just not in the cards.

the goal here really inst power, just something extra for people to look at and be like wtf kind of motor is that? is that stock, ya know?

i think i will be happy with the stock numbers for now, but i am one of thsoe people that cant leave well enough alone ya know? so it will probably be upgraded eventually. i just want to get it in and running first.

i am leaning towards the 13bt out of the fc turbo II, but i would really loveto go TT. any suggestions on that if it will work or what i would have to do with a turbo mani or if it would work with the rhd conversion or not?
A lot of the guys actually end up ditching the twins. The stock system is a sequential system, which tends to bring a lot of unneeded complexity. It's been proven that a properly sized single will have just as good, if not better response than the twins.

As for turbo mani's, there really isn't too much out there. HKS makes a cast piece that is bolt-in and also a tubular manifold with a T4 flange. A-Spec Tuning makes some good (but pricey!) complete turbo kits for the RX-7. Aside from that, you're on your own.

If you really want to do something different, why not stay N/A and going with a bridgeport or peripheral port? Take a 4-port turbo motor, remove all the turbo stuff (and everything else), peripheral port and ITB's. Not only will you have a very minimalist engine bay, but you'll have pretty much the sweetest sound on earth coming from your engine bay.

I agree with magnum... you could probably just stay N/A with a 13B and bridgeport. It will be more than enough to scoot that little truck around.

A lot of the guys actually end up ditching the twins. The stock system is a sequential system, which tends to bring a lot of unneeded complexity. It's been proven that a properly sized single will have just as good, if not better response than the twins.

As for turbo mani's, there really isn't too much out there. HKS makes a cast piece that is bolt-in and also a tubular manifold with a T4 flange. A-Spec Tuning makes some good (but pricey!) complete turbo kits for the RX-7. Aside from that, you're on your own.

If you really want to do something different, why not stay N/A and going with a bridgeport or peripheral port? Take a 4-port turbo motor, remove all the turbo stuff (and everything else), peripheral port and ITB's. Not only will you have a very minimalist engine bay, but you'll have pretty much the sweetest sound on earth coming from your engine bay.
i have a friend, another honda guy, that wants me to go n/a with the 13b also, but i really want a turbocharged vehicle(im sure u understand the reasons lol).

i am pretty sure i am going to have to fab up a custom manifold myself or have a shop build me one(pricey either way, i know).

alright, so im hearing the same stuff over on this site as i am on a lot of others that i have been browsing.

looks like i will stick to the fc turbo II engine and go from there.

i appreciate all the help man. u have been the most straightforward and knowledgeable out of anyone that has lent words to my build!

I agree with magnum... you could probably just stay N/A with a 13B and bridgeport. It will be more than enough to scoot that little truck around.
i know the sound of itbs is great, bt nothing matches the sound of a turbo spooling imo.

thanks though

I am on here quite a bit...if you need anything let me know...
alright dude. any luck on that steering box?

imma send a few more emails today

alright, i got my taxes done yesterday so i am ready to order the swap.

anyone have any suggestions on where to order a turbo II engine that im not going to get screwed over on?

i dont have a problem paying a little more for an engine that is going to be lower mileage and more reliable..

any help is appreciated.

ok, well ive got some pics. noting special, so dont hate.

like i said the truck is back together for the most part. i just wanted to make sure everything mounted up right.

maybe ill get to tear back into it tomorrow...

anywho, heres it going back together. shaved cowl vents, just need to shave the windshield wiper hole..
4336335906_1986cc0507.jpg

its still really rough for the most part, but i have enough clearance for 20's now..
4336336818_97c68bf785.jpg

different angle. the whole fender is going to be boxed in over the trailer fenders. i just cant do anymore sheetmetal til i get the engine mocked up..
4336337876_0a77ef1169.jpg

i dont care what anyone says, that s**** low..
4335593263_3124c63ef4.jpg

bumper and grill back on. ready for a rotary? i think so...
4335618769_222f2c8dea.jpg

messy ass garage...
4335620437_693b348f2b.jpg

time to tear down again and finish the grinds and start some bodywork..
4336367598_786e4edfba.jpg

i have decided on an engine btw..

im going 13bt out of a 88-92 rx7 turbo II fc3s.

this makes the most sense since it is a single turbo and most everyone with the twin turbo eventually goes to a larger single turbo anyway.

its a 2 rotor, so its small enough to fit and look very clean in the shaved bay.

anyway, turbo, ya. thats about it..

I'd be very weary of purchasing any engine off of eBay. While you would in fact be getting a S5 TII engine, what you don't know is how long it was sitting there before you bought it. It's bad enough when a piston engine has sat, non-running for a while, but it'll pretty much render a rotary useless. There are a couple of reputable dealers out there. Mainly the RX-7 shops, and you'll end up paying more, but at least you know you'd be getting a properly running engine. Rotary Resurrection in TN occasionally has engines in stock and pretty much has the cheapest rebuild costs of anyone around.

I'd be very weary of purchasing any engine off of eBay. While you would in fact be getting a S5 TII engine, what you don't know is how long it was sitting there before you bought it. It's bad enough when a piston engine has sat, non-running for a while, but it'll pretty much render a rotary useless. There are a couple of reputable dealers out there. Mainly the RX-7 shops, and you'll end up paying more, but at least you know you'd be getting a properly running engine. Rotary Resurrection in TN occasionally has engines in stock and pretty much has the cheapest rebuild costs of anyone around.
good to know.

ya, ive done a few honda engine swaps, and its always a huge concern of mine on getting a lemon. i dont mind paying a little more for something thats not going to need rebuilt or whatever ya know?

i wouldnt buy an engine off of ebay, but i have found a few sites that seem pretty good with warranties and stuff, so i guess we will see when the money is in my hands what i decide to do..

I'd be careful buying an engine from any site honestly if you can stay away from it. All my friends who have bought rotary engines from any site have ALWAYS had issues. You can throw up a post on RX-7 club or craigslist for CO.

All that being said what are the plans for exhaust, ducting for the stock intercooler or front mount etc.? Just wondering if there's anything you need help with to make the motor last and get cheap power out of it if you want.

Oh, and by the way, just sick dude. The skills, and work you've done is rare these days, I can definitely appreciate the truck but now that I know you're sticking a rotary in it, it makes it 1000 times better.

I'd be careful buying an engine from any site honestly if you can stay away from it. All my friends who have bought rotary engines from any site have ALWAYS had issues. You can throw up a post on RX-7 club or craigslist for CO.

All that being said what are the plans for exhaust, ducting for the stock intercooler or front mount etc.? Just wondering if there's anything you need help with to make the motor last and get cheap power out of it if you want.

Oh, and by the way, just sick dude. The skills, and work you've done is rare these days, I can definitely appreciate the truck but now that I know you're sticking a rotary in it, it makes it 1000 times better.

i appreciate it man.
there are a lot of guys out there that still do some crazy fab work.

the club i am in is known for a lot of crazy stuff. www.severedties.com check it out. we have a guy in our chapter that has a crazy custom tacoma and is building a 4 door mitsu mighty max(ya, as u know mistubishi didnt make a 4 door mighty max).

anyway, i am planning a front mount for it. i just want to get it running and reliable. this truck doesnt get driven much since its really not practical on a daily basis.

i have done a lot of research on the rotary and such, but i still feel like i am way in the dark on this engine and exactly what i will need.

i have heard it is a relatively easy swap, but u always run into problems. i expect problems, and i also expect to figure out a way to make it work.

if i can get a complete swap that is going to be reliable for $1500-2000 i will be very happy, and will be able to purchase the engine soon if i can find one for that. with that being said, colorado is impossible to find an rx7 especially one that is low miles and being parted out for that matter..

i may just end up going with a reputable site and hoping for the best. if i have to have it rebuilt, i guess thats something i have to deal with since there are no rotary gurus around here that i know of.

there is still a lot of fab work to be done on this truck and i dont want u guys thinking this is what the truck is going to look like when done. im not just throwing a rotary in there and calling it a day. a lot more metalwork and possible a new back half for the frame. its gonna take some time. i really hate having the truck down for thew count but i am not going to rush this build one bit.

i do appreciate the help and all of the advice, and i would appreciate some help finding a quality engine thats going to save me time and money in the long run, so any help on that would be great.

also, any tips and tricks and things to look out for during the duration of the swap would also be very helpful.. the less i spend on this swap, the more i can dump into power adders and completing my paint and interior and such..

sweet man, thanks for moving it for me.

wasnt really sure where to put it and after i started it i realized i was in the way wrong section.

i will keep it updated for sure..

This looks like an awesome build man. Ive got an 86 b2000 sitting in my backyard with 45000 orig on the odometer. I want to start building it and make it into a drag truck but I think you may have swayed me a different direction. A friend of mine has a '99 b3000 thats bagged and under construction right now. Too bad you dont live on the east coast in the mid-atlantic. HUGE truck show with drag comp in august every year. Check out pics from it, Carlisle All-truck nationals is the event. Some sick pics and maybe some more ideas for you. Keep us posted and great job so far!

This looks like an awesome build man. Ive got an 86 b2000 sitting in my backyard with 45000 orig on the odometer. I want to start building it and make it into a drag truck but I think you may have swayed me a different direction. A friend of mine has a '99 b3000 thats bagged and under construction right now. Too bad you dont live on the east coast in the mid-atlantic. HUGE truck show with drag comp in august every year. Check out pics from it, Carlisle All-truck nationals is the event. Some sick pics and maybe some more ideas for you. Keep us posted and great job so far!
we try to hit a lot of shows.
we went all the way to bentonville arkansas two years ago, but normally stay on the wast coast.

man, honestly another bagged mazda is always a good thing, but u cant mess with going fast. i just personally would rather go fast on a track than in a straight line.

i have built quite a few decently fast(for a honda) cars but it got old just bolting on parts. i like to cut stuff up...

glad to see im not getting hated on for having a mini on this site...

Glad to see a fellow mini trucker on here, im in the process of putting a miata engine in my b2200,good luck with the build

thats so weird...

thats the truck that brought me to this site...
a member on another forum that i am on posted a pic of ur truck and suggested i check out this site..

thats nice man!
ever thought of going 5 lug?

i appreciate it man.
there are a lot of guys out there that still do some crazy fab work.

the club i am in is known for a lot of crazy stuff. www.severedties.com check it out. we have a guy in our chapter that has a crazy custom tacoma and is building a 4 door mitsu mighty max(ya, as u know mistubishi didnt make a 4 door mighty max).

anyway, i am planning a front mount for it. i just want to get it running and reliable. this truck doesnt get driven much since its really not practical on a daily basis.

i have done a lot of research on the rotary and such, but i still feel like i am way in the dark on this engine and exactly what i will need.

i have heard it is a relatively easy swap, but u always run into problems. i expect problems, and i also expect to figure out a way to make it work.

if i can get a complete swap that is going to be reliable for $1500-2000 i will be very happy, and will be able to purchase the engine soon if i can find one for that. with that being said, colorado is impossible to find an rx7 especially one that is low miles and being parted out for that matter..

i may just end up going with a reputable site and hoping for the best. if i have to have it rebuilt, i guess thats something i have to deal with since there are no rotary gurus around here that i know of.

there is still a lot of fab work to be done on this truck and i dont want u guys thinking this is what the truck is going to look like when done. im not just throwing a rotary in there and calling it a day. a lot more metalwork and possible a new back half for the frame. its gonna take some time. i really hate having the truck down for thew count but i am not going to rush this build one bit.

i do appreciate the help and all of the advice, and i would appreciate some help finding a quality engine thats going to save me time and money in the long run, so any help on that would be great.

also, any tips and tricks and things to look out for during the duration of the swap would also be very helpful.. the less i spend on this swap, the more i can dump into power adders and completing my paint and interior and such..

First off, great choice on the front mount. The stock top mount is a heat soak and never works too good.

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2ndgen/index.html

This site has a lot of good information on it for easy things to do to the motor and make it more reliable if you get a chance to look through it.

Unfortanetly, I've never bought a motor from one of these sites so I can't tell you a good source, but I can tell you some sites not to buy from... Tiger Japanese I have never heard a good thing about them I had a friend who went through 3 motors before getting one that wasn't blown, another brother got a motor from bestofjdm.com and the motor looked really good until we ripped it apart and I was trying to put his side seals in for him and turned out the rotors were overheated and warped, just do your research on a site to find one that works for you.

I think you'll get it all figured out though it shouldn't be too bad. Just don't want you to get a bad motor after all the work you've done, just make sure to stay away from those sites. Once you get the motor and I can probably be more help for you if you need it, sorry I don't have more experiance in this area, I just build them haha

Back