Turbo Rotary Mazda B2600i Minitruck Build!

Just got the latest edition of mini truck'n and let me say congrats.Your on page 46!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man! And yes i am lol.

I really need to update this. Got quite a bit done but been lazy on uploading pics..

Update pics or magazine pics? The pics from the magazine are on the previous page...

Will update tonight or tomorrow when i get time...

alright, heres some long due updates...

first off i got my new Walbro 255lph inline fuel pump and fittings...

7381997592_73170054fd_c.jpg

and then since i am totally set on getting this thing running as fast as possible and i have good info on everything i need for start up, i have been spending time figuring out wiring and buying stuff for the big day.

so i figured i need to get my intake manifold all squared away since i am running an fd upper on an s5 lower. so i need to port match the runners to use the adapter plate to pull this off.

heres the upper and lower manifolds seperated..

7381991564_7069ed7a73_c.jpg

upper with the adapter plate...

7381985958_cb7a93b346_c.jpg

this shows the material that needs to be removed so airflow is smooth....

7381973960_00ec00c598_c.jpg

7381970702_6b6b3dd7fa_c.jpg

now just gotta get out the dremel and get it smoothed out and cleaned up and get longer bolts and this will be one thing marked off the list...

7381967260_3315170d2c_c.jpg

so i started working on body dropping the bed to get all of my body lines matched up again...

heres the back cut out and seeing the concrete a bit closer

7381962832_8f52d292a8_c.jpg

sure wish my 4 link went frontwards. would make everything sooo much easier.

7381959328_56a54e8f8b_c.jpg

the front was a b****!

7381943754_b5e979dd83_c.jpg

7381933950_0a24cee306_c.jpg

all the way down. now to section some out of the sheetmetal to complete the 5 1/2" bodydrop...

7381928396_12640e9725_c.jpg

little by little sectioning this down...

7381921462_deb2d6433b_c.jpg

7381880016_50ab81799f_c.jpg

closer

7381835130_55851d73b3_c.jpg

there we go...

7381821184_e4967164a3_c.jpg

well another big deal item came in. this thing is hi-tech. AEM UEGO digital wideband.

7381806334_1bdf94265c_c.jpg

pretty sure im going to have the whole aem catalog on this truck once it is done...

7381797404_f733215fb3_c.jpg

7381787062_2b92c47bff_c.jpg

kit comes with different faceplates and bezels and is just extremely high quality. AEM is the s***!

7381784522_2cece7dc44_c.jpg

[IMG}http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7381781754_3c861b261d_c.jpg[/IMG]

7381776728_f492e1f425_c.jpg

7381770538_d22194f5a4_c.jpg

nice to see the updates, i think between us we have most of the catalog ordered from AEM. But why trust cheaper products when you have that much invested already, cant wait to see the next round of updates.

so since i have almost everything i need to start getting everything done for fuel concerns, i decided it was time to actually mount the fuel cell and get everything wired up and situated, so i mocked up where i want it and started figuring out how i was going to mount it...

7421859216_f017690e9e_c.jpg

playing around with ideas for mounting. i want to make sure that this tank is removable for just cuz, and also for when i get the frame and everything painted and such... so needless to say, this design wont work.

[IMG}http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7421862920_4e8071b6c0_c.jpg[/IMG]

so this is what i came up with. basically this will support the bottom and then i will build a cradle for the tank.

7421871776_96ae89bd9a_c.jpg

7421881218_6c99303492_c.jpg

tacked up and measuring up the cross bars...

7421891122_86cc314716_c.jpg

7421902146_a1354c1c15_c.jpg

7421918678_f079d145e7_c.jpg

all welded up and bolted up. now just have to build the cradle and get it all welded up snug. then run lines and wire up the fuel pump and all that fun jazz.

so i have been talking to a few companies about wiring this truck up and all the sensors and s*** i need, so i should have a harness here within a month im hoping. then its just figuring out vacuum lines and such and then i can turn it over and see if the engine needs rebuilt now or if i can drive it with this engine until final teardown.

seems like im soo close, but i tell u it still seems so far. s**** so expensive. i want to just clean out my savings and finish this thing, but im getting older and wiser and realize that this truck is the least of my worries right now...

getting old sucks...

nice to see the updates, i think between us we have most of the catalog ordered from AEM. But why trust cheaper products when you have that much invested already, cant wait to see the next round of updates.
ya, i was wanting to do all aem gauges and s*** too, but goddamn theyre expensive lol.

also been looking into the smart coils for this build from AEM also, but i may just go with ls1 or ls2 coils. but i really like the idea of not having an ignitor, so i may jut splurge for the AEM coils...

time will only tell..

ya, i was wanting to do all aem gauges and s*** too, but goddamn theyre expensive lol.

also been looking into the smart coils for this build from AEM also, but i may just go with ls1 or ls2 coils. but i really like the idea of not having an ignitor, so i may jut splurge for the AEM coils...

time will only tell..
I really liked my AEM UEGO when I had one installed in my turbocharged Protege5. I also had their digital oil pressure and oil temperature gauges. I never had any problems but the plastic construction makes them feel cheap to me. The 0-1V and 0-5V outputs are excellent extras though.

I highly suggest looking into the IGN-1A coils some more. Anyone with a RX-7 that has them has nothing but good things to say about them. They are supposedly much stronger than the LSx coils.

Ya im pretty sure i will be going with the aem coils.

More concerned with getting my engine harness made first though!

Ya im pretty sure i will be going with the aem coils.

More concerned with getting my engine harness made first though!
I will be installing the AEM coils in my RX-7. One point of advice I was given was to ignore the grounding instructions that come with the coils. I was told to gang all the grounds (3 per coil) together and ground them to the engine.

Who's making your harness and do they have a reference to use? I'd be afraid whatever gets made won't fit properly unless they're working directly with your truck.

I have been talking with a couple very reputable shops.

The harness will be made to my specs from ecu placement to firewall bulkhead to being completely tucked.

It will be quite a process, but these companies seem very interested and want to work with what ive got. Its still in the planning stages, so i wont mention company names as of yet since i am still between two companies right now.

Once money has been sent, then i can obviously divulge more info!

Last edited:
Jon, whats the difference between the coils u are suggesting and the aem 30-2853?

Those are the ones i was planning on getting...

Jon, whats the difference between the coils u are suggesting and the aem 30-2853?

Those are the ones i was planning on getting...
Sorry, they're the same thing. AEM buys these and rebrands them. I don't know who the original manufacturer is but I've seen them referred as "Mercury Marine" coils and "IGN-1A." FWIW, I have the AEM-branded ones as well. I'm actually trying to figure out where/how to mount these now.

I was hoping to mount mine under the uim, but you're running itbs, so that probably wont work for you...

Our builds are so much the same but yet so different also that its interesting to see the different options everyone has as far as personal preference go on certain things!

Well i found the coils for around $200 for all four, so i may just jump on that. How much did you pay for yours?

I was hoping to mount mine under the uim, but you're running itbs, so that probably wont work for you...

Our builds are so much the same but yet so different also that its interesting to see the different options everyone has as far as personal preference go on certain things!

Well i found the coils for around $200 for all four, so i may just jump on that. How much did you pay for yours?
Yeah, I know a lot of people mount them on top of the engine under the intake manifold. The way my manifold is setup with the ITB's hugging the engine prevents me from mounting them there. I not sure I would have mounted them on the engine anyway because I'm nervous of what the heat would do. Right now I'm debating between mounting mine on the driver's strut tower or behind the driver's headlight.

At that price make sure you're getting the "smart" coils with the built in ignitor. In my experience the "dumb" coils are usually around $55/each and the "smart" coils are $70+. I want to say I spent closer to $300 on all four.

Yeah i will make sure they are smart and ignitorless.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just left the tire shop getting the old lady tires. So no coils this week...

Yeah i will make sure they are smart and ignitorless.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just left the tire shop getting the old lady tires. So no coils this week...
I think you want the coils with the ignitor, right? Are you planning on running some other kind of ignitor setup? That might be why the ones you found were so cheap. The coils with the built-in ignitor are the "smart" coils. You'd only go with the other kind if you're going to use some other ignitor source (MSD, etc.).

Back