Guide Self Programming Keys and Remote

Thanks VRMS6!!
I bought a replacement remote/switchblade key (on eBay) to replace the one that broke for my CX-9 when I was replacing the battery.
(***Note to others: Be extremely delicate when following the procedure to separate the 2 parts of the remote - the locking tab is easily broken. It might be best to have a 3rd hand - have someone else gently pull on the 2 parts while you 'gingerly' press on the locking tab.)
I found the instructions online (perhaps from this forum, I can't remember now) but didn't realize that I only had the instructions to program the Remote, not the key. In fact, I didn't realize that there were separate instructions to program the key. After programming and re-programming my 3 remotes and still not having any luck with getting my new Key to start the car, I thought I either had a defective part, or that the remotes had to be from the same 'lot' as my originals.
Thankfully, after following the instructions to program the KEY, it looks like I now have a new, working Switchblade/Remote that isn't held together by electrical tape.
Thanks for posting the info for us DIY's!

Hey to all just got my new ebay bought key remote fob for my06 speed6 ,after i lost all remote function with my one & only key for my vehicle ,upon opening package i went into car & perform key programming process as above noting that it is the d/s frt door that needs to be open & close 3 times than u will see doors lock & unlock a couple time to indicate you r in programming mode then u press any button on the remote twice ,than doors will lock & unlock again ,then u most press the said button on the said remote twice again & then close doors take key out of ignition & enjoy your new remote,good lock .

Does anybody know what smartcard on ebay to buy. I bought a speed6 used and it didnt have any key fobs at all. Just the valet key. Didnt want to pay 500 bones at the dealership so was hoping to get the smartcards off ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The remote programming should be posted in the How-To section as it's the same for most Mazdas.

wondering if anyone knows if i can program a switch blade key to 2006 mazdaspeed 6, i have the stupid credit card key, and it pisses me off, if i get the switchblade key from ebay and then get it cut to my key, then program the clicker, will it all work?

I ordered one of the switch blade keys from Ebay for my MS6 and everything went well with the programming except when it came time to press the buttons on the remote, nothing happened. The remote does work, the light comes on when I press any of the buttons. Can someone help me and let me know what the problem could be or what im doing wrong, thanks.

Are there any instructions for self-programing of keys like this one...for my 2014 M6? Thanks!
20130225_164613_zps63716639.jpg

2009 6i GT w/"advance keyless fob"

Are there any instructions for self-programing of keys like this one...for my 2014 M6? Thanks!
20130225_164613_zps63716639.jpg

Same question. I have a 2009 6i MT6 GT with the same "advanced keyless" fob. I have two programmed emergency keys and fobs. Am I able to program additional keys and fobs myself, or will it require a trip to the stealership?

I am the original owner of a 2009 CX9 and have two switchblade keys - both start the car but the remote is no longer working. They stopped working probably while still under warranty but because we do not have a reputable Mazda dealer close by I have continued to walk to the driver side door to unlock doors and tailgate. I have tried the programming described above without luck. Any ideas?

We have just purchased a Japanese import 2008 (2009 model) Atenza 25S. It only came with one key/remote which is the blade style key/fob all in one. I have ordered an OBD2 key programmer and some blank keys with immobilizer chips in the hope I can program a 2nd/3rd using this device the same way as Mazda offered to do for NZ$557!!! (as I cannot use the key programming method on the first page without 2x keys to start with).

However, this is not my issue for now. I have a spare Mazda remote (no key, just a lock/unlock fob) that I want to program to the car (to go with my spare keys when they arrive), and was about to follow the remote programing instructions, however I am stuck at step 2 as this model does not have a power-lock button on the door panel..! (It has the lock rocker next to the door lever, but this cannot be operated with the door open) here is a picture of the same model as mine http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/mazda/atenza/12218138/photo/?sid=300&pn=14

Does anyone know the remote programming proceedure for this Japanese domestic market model?

Last edited:
Just a quick thank you for this informative how-to. My new-to-me '07 Mazda 5 came with two remotes of which only one worked. I assumed battery issue, but no go! This procedure has resulted in both remotes functioning and now I only need to purchase the key section which is missing from remote #2. Dave

Have seen a few posts asking how to program keys/remotes without going to the dealer. Im posting programming instructions for both. Please note you will need 2 working keys to program them. Remotes it doesnt matter if you have any or not...
NOTE: this is only for switchblade style and seperate key/remote fob only. Will not work with credit card type keys/remote.

Remote programming instructions

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the drivers door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6
: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Key Programming Instructions

The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.

Hi!
I have a 2008 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon 2.0TD. Just bought a new 2 button remote fob because original stopped working. Problem is that I can't get it programmed. I dont' have door lock switch on the drivers door. There's only a central lock knob which lock all the doors including trunck. Please help.

There are many things to keep in Mind while Self Programming Keys and Remote buimportant is that ALL vehicle alarm keyless remotes, fobs, and chipped or transponder*keys MUST BE PROGRAMMED TO A VEHICLE for them to work.*

Hey I know it has been years since this thread has been looked at but I have a question. I recently bought a second key for my Miata and I followed the steps to program the buttons on the remote and it worked fine. When I went to program the key so I could start the car I noticed that the way you wrote the instructions imply me having two working keys. Is there a way I can program the new key without 3 keys?

Programming your own keys update?

Hello,

I have been looking all over through threads about programming the Mazda keys. And finally took the leap and purchase some and had them cut yesterday. I have followed out the procedures from this thread comma quoted below. I have not yet had success but think that it could just be possibly might timing for the procedures or perhaps I got jipped on my transponder keys on eBay.

I have a 2013 CX9 Grand Touring. Can anyone verify that these procedures still work for my model year?

Here is specifically what I am trying to do. With the car we received two of the smart key fobs with the key that you can pull out of them as a backup. I've purchased on eBay two standard looking keys by themselves, no remote, but that are supposed to have the transponder chip built-in and they have around a 1/4 -3/8 inch thick plastic part to them so I believe they do have the transponders inside them.

I want to program these and keep them as backups in the event that we lose one of my original smart key fobs so that I would still have at least two programmed keys.

Thanks in advance for any help

Have seen a few posts asking how to program keys/remotes without going to the dealer. Im posting programming instructions for both. Please note you will need 2 working keys to program them. Remotes it doesnt matter if you have any or not...
NOTE: this is only for switchblade style and seperate key/remote fob only. Will not work with credit card type keys/remote.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the drivers door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.

The remote programming should be posted in the How-To section as it's the same for most Mazdas.
Also I have the HACK or DO IT YOURSELF KEY PROGRAMMING if you only have "1" key for 1998-2003 626, and other Mazda's I think if it's in those year's it should work check before you do It's at your own RISK. AND it's pretty intense to do but I got it done the first time, which amazed me! Thank's I think this is a first post for me here.
This Key program is if you only have 1 KEY so may help some. Also for this Key program to work you MUST HAVE A DEALER KEY !!!!!! not a clone type key !!!!!

Last edited:
One of my transponder key suddenly stopped working.

Step 6

Procedure:

\

VRMS6,

Thanks for this tutorial.
I have a 2011 Mazda 6 which I bought new but is, of course, long out of warranty.
One of my switchblade transponder keys stopped working today.
The remote still unlocks and locks the doors, but the security system doesn't recognize that key anymore and won't allow the car to start.
(This key is my wife's and she rarely drives the car)
I still have the other key (mine) and it works with no issues.

Any insight?
Any way at all to get that transponder working again (without going to the dealer, and without a third working key?)

Thanks!

Mark

Lost my 2016 Mazda6 Keys

Folks - so I ended up loosing one of my smart keys and using the spare key right now. Question is should I really bother getting a replacement key if I have a functional spare key? The replacement key all inclusive is costing around $325 at the dealership. Additionally, I am worried if the key gets into someone's hands, they can drive it away or steal stuff from the car. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back