Guide Self Programming Keys and Remote

VRMS6

:
2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport
Have seen a few posts asking how to program keys/remotes without going to the dealer. Im posting programming instructions for both. Please note you will need 2 working keys to program them. Remotes it doesnt matter if you have any or not...
NOTE: this is only for switchblade style and seperate key/remote fob only. Will not work with credit card type keys/remote.

Remote programming instructions

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6
: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

Key Programming Instructions

The timing is critical to this procedure, please read through the entire procedure before attempting.
Procedure:
1. Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (I wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
2. Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
3. within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.

If you are not successful the red key symbol will flash repeatedly to indicate that you have inserted an invalid key. Remove the key, wait a minute and try it again, it took me a few times to get it perfect and I had done it before.

Last edited:
Then I guess the obvious question is what the procedure for the credit card keys is...or do those have to go to the dealer for programming?

unfortunately credit card key/remote will have to go to dealer for programming....

Very nice. My dealer wanted $55 to program it...now, I'm thankful that I didn't have to pay him the money to open/close doors and locks for 2 minutes.

Thanks VRMS6...If you are ever in the greater Tucson area, drinks on me

Keep in mind I am the dealer. I write service for a local Mazda dealership. If I can help my fellow forum members I do what I can.

i have the advanced key for my ms6, but would like to get a switchblade style key so that i can feel cool. there wouldn't be any difference if i just bought one and then programmed it the way you mentioned right?

I just purchased a used 2007 cx-7 that only came with one switchblade key/remote. I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a spare as the dealer wants to charge about $360 (!?!). I have a new uncut key/remote coming from ebay. I understand how to program the remote, but I am concerned about programming the key as I only have one of the originals... am I destined to go to the dealer???

As far as I know 3 keys is the max you can program.

Jess unfortunately with only 1 working key you will have to go to the dealer for programming. If you had 2 working keys you could self program a third.

i have the advanced key for my ms6, but would like to get a switchblade style key so that i can feel cool. there wouldn't be any difference if i just bought one and then programmed it the way you mentioned right?

I talked to my tech and while we havent done this he doesnt see why it would not work... I suggest you get a switchblade key from ebay n give it a try...

Hey unfortunately you are going to have to hit up the dealership in your area to get them to wipe the keys from the and then reprogram the car for the one current key, and a news key. That is the only way. Last time I priced a switchblade key it was still over 200 dollars, and I think about 80 for programming.

That is the only way to do it with 1 key. If you have 2 keys you can go through the process fairly easily at home, and you can have up to 6 keys programed.

With the advanced key you can only use the advanced keys. I know that there is a normal key as part of the CC key, but the advanced CC key use a different deal for programming , and encryption. As far as I know you might be able to get the newer styly of advenced key for you car, but I'm not 100% sure

Keep in mind I am the dealer. I write service for a local Mazda dealership. If I can help my fellow forum members I do what I can.

Hello. I was reading the directions for key and remote programming. I have a question. I just got a 2007 Mazda 6 i Touring and the dealer only gave me one key (no remote). He said that's all there was and he gave me a deduction on the price so I could get a remote flip blade programmed at a dealer. Once I saw how expensive the keys and programming were, I decided to order two complete flip key sets online (making sure they were new and compatible with the 2007 keyless entry system. Each set has two parts, the head blank flip key and the corresponding remote section. I have read that you need two working keys to programe the remotes, so I went to a local dealer and the bastards charged me $150 for a blank transponder remote head and the programming to go with it. BUT now I have two working keys neither with the remote section. Now I should be able to program the two head blanks after I get them cut, but my question is will I be able to program both remotes with these working keys even though neither key has a remote section itself. The instructions do not say you need two working remotes, just two working keys. Please tell me I can progrma the remotes myself and don't need the greedy dealers anymore.

Follow the programming instructions for the remotes. You do not need to have a working remote to program a new one....

Can the op or anyone else confirm that these instructions will work for programming the remote and the key for a 2010 Mazda 3? Thanks for a wonderful resource...

Can someone please post up pics/PNs of keys that work with the MS6 (specifically an 07 if it matters).

I have two working FOBs with two working keys. Want to get a spare key so I have 3 keys programmed in case I lose one. I want to buy a programmable key without the FOB (cheaper insurance, and FOB can be programmed later without 2 FOBs), but I don't know what just the key looks like, or exactly which one I need.

Back