The 100K (Mile or Kilometer) Mazda5 Club

My 2006 Touring hit 215K miles over the weekend. Owned since new. Great car but needing some love at the moment.

2003 P5 rolling past 180k this week, shooting for 200, just replaced the tranny. Never kept a Mazda beyond 185k - this is my 4th one. First was a used-up '72 RX2. That little 4-door would go like a bat outa hell, but used gas like a 'vette. I dont recall how many miles it had but was well over 100k. My new '82 GLC made it to 85k when it got sandwiched in a big traffic jam on the 270. It still ran but was never the same so we got rid of it. A '98 Protege went to 185k when it started developing oil leaks and rust, we sold it, though it probably could have made it beyond 200. I love driving my P5, like current Mazda ad says "feel like the car was engineered just for you" yep. A perfect fit.

Since you owned it since new

Would you let us know the things you replaced ?

When we bought in Dec 2005 it had less than 100 miles from test drives. Probably closer to 60 but it's been 12 years ago so hard to remember. For the time that we have had this car it has been awesome but we are at the point where we are having to choose between some expensive fixes or a newer vehicle. My MPG my last few tanks have bee around 25-27MPG. My commute is about 40-60 miles a day. We bought the touring because it had a sunroof and a 5-speed. I am sure that we have replaced other things however the 1st half of the time we had it my wife drove it, the 2nd half I drove it. So very possible that others were replaced when she drove it and I just don't remember.

Replaced alternator twice. I have a write-up on here somewhere.
Purge valve solenoid twice. expensive pain in the butt for a little piece.
Tons of tires.
Brake master cylinder (i think. i have had a few mazdas.)
Brakes as needed.
Water pump.

Need to fix
About to replace clutch. 1st one. It just started giving me problems around 210k. (anyone have the service manual??? thinking of tackling this one myself)
Thermostat is getting finicky. Need to replace. Good thing it is kinda winter so i can drive around with heater on.
O2 sensor just put on check engine light.

Things that I deal with.
Back door actuators went out @150k. Makes unlocking doors a pain but I don't carpool my kiddos as much anymore.
Radio shorted out @170k. I mostly listen to talk radio so not missing out on to much there.

Hope this gives some insights. Most of the issues we had were when we 1st bought it. We had to buy oil filters from ebay because the quick lube places did not carry them. Even now our Auto Zone list the Mzd5 under trucks (stupid). Parts were hard to find for routine maintenance stuff. Chilton does not make a service manual for these so most maintenance is trial and error or hoping someone on here has already suffered for the rest of us.

Darren

Last edited:
When we bought in Dec 2005 it had less than 100 miles from test drives. Probably closer to 60 but it's been 12 years ago so hard to remember. For the time that we have had this car it has been awesome but we are at the point where we are having to choose between some expensive fixes or a newer vehicle. My MPG my last few tanks have bee around 25-27MPG. My commute is about 40-60 miles a day. We bought the touring because it had a sunroof and a 5-speed. I am sure that we have replaced other things however the 1st half of the time we had it my wife drove it, the 2nd half I drove it. So very possible that others were replaced when she drove it and I just don't remember.

Tons of tires.
Brakes as needed.
Water pump.

Need to fix
About to replace clutch. 1st one. It just started giving me problems around 210k. (anyone have the service manual??? thinking of tackling this one myself)
Thermostat is getting finicky. Need to replace. Good thing it is kinda winter so i can drive around with heater on.

Things that I deal with.
Back door actuators went out @150k. Makes unlocking doors a pain but I don't carpool my kiddos as much anymore.
Radio shorted out @170k. I mostly listen to talk radio so not missing out on to much there.

Hope this gives some insights. Most of the issues we had were when we 1st bought it. We had to buy oil filters from ebay because the quick lube places did not carry them. Even now our Auto Zone list the Mzd5 under trucks (stupid). Parts were hard to find for routine maintenance stuff. Chilton does not make a service manual for these so most maintenance is trial and error or hoping someone on here has already suffered for the rest of us.

Darren
Thank you

In 87 k miles I had to replace all 4 shocks and two door lock actuators so far

I would like for it to reach 150k miles without major things going wrong

Tons of tires.
Brakes as needed.
Water pump.

Need to fix

Things that I deal with.

Darren
nice to see/hear from an original owner. After all these years, life would have been easier if you converted to the canister filter (use the cheaper Ford base). If you need parts, cross reference Mz3. Aside from body/plastics, mechanicals/electrical are almost identical.

How has the paint and interior held up over the years?

Last edited:
As of today, I have 462,000 km (about 287,000mi) on my 2008 Mazda5. Not one issue with the motor, clutch, or transmission yet. Knock on wood. A short term goal is 500,000km (should happen later this year). It would be nice if I could say I put 600,00km on it, but only time will tell if it actually goes that far.

As of today, I have 462,000 km (about 287,000mi) on my 2008 Mazda5. Not one issue with the motor, clutch, or transmission yet. Knock on wood. A short term goal is 500,000km (should happen later this year). It would be nice if I could say I put 600,00km on it, but only time will tell if it actually goes that far.

Wow thats great! My 2009M5 GT has 97k miles now. How do you maintain the car? How often do you do oil and other fluid changes?

Well, andresamia, I initially did oil changes every 5000km. That only lasted a few months, because I was changing the oil ever 5-6 weeks. I noticed that the owners manual recommended every 7500km for an oil change interval for severe duty service. I decided that 8000km oil change intervals were easier to keep track of in my head, so I started using that interval. I can now go 8-10 weeks between oil changes. Where I live I'm a long way from anywhere, so any short round-trip puts on at least 150km. Over this past Christmas holiday i put on almost 4000km - all of it on just getting from place to place, no real big trip involved. My engine doesn't use any oil at all, knock on wood. It starts and runs fine. I firmly believe that a vehicle that sits, ages quicker that one that is used all the time. Seals can dry up and wear out, bearings etc. can have the oil eventually flow away, and that creates extra wear when the engine is finally started after sitting for quite a while. Just my opinion.

I've gone through probably 3-4 sets of brake pads (no surprise), and I've changed all of the brake calipers and rotors once. They tend to live in a harsh environment under the car (salt, mud, wet, etc ...). I've changed the rear shocks and front struts once. I changed the manual transmission fluid once, at around 250,000km. There is no service interval for that fluid change. I noticed absolutely no difference in how the transmission shifted after the fluid change, so I probably didn't have to change it. I change the coolant every couple of years or so (about every 100,000km). I changed the spark plugs for the first time at 220,000km myself. I just changed them recently again at 440,000km. Changing them made no difference in how the engine ran or its fuel economy. The center electrode sure was worn down quite a bit compared to the new plugs, but that's it.

One problem I had was with the parking brake cables. The main one going from the handle broke once. And the cable that goes to the right rear brake started to stick and not release, so I had to replace it also. I did replace the right front wheel bearing at only 135,000km. I've replaced both half-shafts a number of times to get new CV joints (they start clicking). It's stupid that it's just as expensive to replace the whole half shaft (both CV joints) as it is to replace just the bad CV joint. I guess the extra spendt on parts is saved in labor costs. The last thing I've had to get fixed in the seal for the left half-shaft where it comes out of the transmission; it started leaking on me. That' it!

This car basically gets driven every day. I don't hesitate to hop in it and go anywhere and at anytime. Other than a spot of rust starting to show around one rear wheel well, all I have are lots of stone chips and parking lot dings/scratches. It's been a very good vehicle. I look forward to hoping in and driving it every time I need to go somewhere. I wish Mazda would make an updated 5 so that when my 5 finally dies, I don't have to buy a larger SUV in order to get 3 rows that seat at least 6 people. Oh well ....

P.S. - it now has 463,000km on it

Slept through the 100k but got it at 110k :)

20180113_204920.jpg

Lost the trans at 210,000. The crunchy synchros came back at 190,000, going to swap a 90,000 mile trans in and do the clutch while I’m in there. It’s a ‘12 sport.

My 2009 5 GT just passed 100k. I really enjoy the car but seems like theres always something that needs to be fixed. I just replaced the rear shocks and the car drives great. But now I am faced with spongy brakes even after replacing master cylinder. I have seen this issue posted here but I was wondering really how common this issue is especially as the 5 passes 100K mark.

My 2009 5 GT just passed 100k. I really enjoy the car but seems like theres always something that needs to be fixed. I just replaced the rear shocks and the car drives great. But now I am faced with spongy brakes even after replacing master cylinder. I have seen this issue posted here but I was wondering really how common this issue is especially as the 5 passes 100K mark.
I have 3,000 miles till passing 100k

No sponge brake issue yet

Did new rotors front once
All 4 new pads

That’s all so far

Back