Squeaks and Rattles

Not many, but two I am after are:

1. Transmission selector panel on the center console.
2. Headliner above driver has a minor ticking-rattle.

For 1., I suspect it's the two trim plates. When pushed gently they rub and squeak against each other. I do not want to have to remove a lot to get to it. Anyone with advice appreciated. I if I could get them off, I would simply put some goo under them.

For 2., I am going to try to look through the sunroof mechanism to see if I can see anything. A very quiet rattle but right over my head.

So transmission selector trim plate squeaks where it meets the center console. It's actually a pretty snug fit, yet on certain pavement it can be annoying. Anyone have any suggestions? I am not excited about removing the trimplate just to get under it with some goo. Maybe ther is some fine tip injectable foam?

Well, using AllDataDiy.com I found a short and simple way to remove the indicator panel. Apparently, the rubber cubby "floor" pops up and out. It has a "service" slot 1.2" from it's left side along the edge with the indicator panel section. I taped up a flat head screwdriver tip (to stop scuffing), inserted it about 1/2" and pried the panel up. It popped out and slid towards the rear of the car and came out.

I then reached under the indicator panel with three-four fingers and gently popped it up. Takes all of about 60 seconds.

I examined all of the parts and couldn't quite ascertain where it was coming from so I unclipped a couple of obvious pieces on the selector mechanism and covered much of the clips and mating surfaces with black electrical tape. I then reinstalled everything. Have not tried it yet to see if that got it. The slotted gate piece around the selector seemed to be a little creaky if torqued, but not anything that I would expect to cause any noise installed.

I did tighten up those four torx screws but they seemed sufficiently tight already.

Also, the four white clips under the console panel did not seem to be the culprits either.

Either way, if I did not get it, it is very easy to get in and out.

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get this solved? M wife's 2014 GT has the same issue. Thanks

Hah! I'm back! Yes I did solve it permanently. I needed to pull the trim plate around the selector and applied Strip Caulk (by 3M) to the various surfaces I suspected. All gone.

Thanks. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the trim plate off. I don't want to break it. Can you help me out?

Thanks

Hah! I'm back! Yes I did solve it permanently. I needed to pull the trim plate around the selector and applied Strip Caulk (by 3M) to the various surfaces I suspected. All gone.
How do you remove the trim plate around the selector? I ended up spraying SeaFoam Deep Creep around the entire selector area and the creaks are pretty much all gone. But it's probably only a temporary solution so I'd like to try pulling it off and applying the 3M Strip Caulk.

Pull the two plastic panels off next to the radio and then you can lift the selector panel off.

Hmm. That doesn't make sense to me. I'll have to look at my wife's. She has factory nav, so no separate radio controls. The shifter seems to be plenty far away from the radio are that the panels wouldn't impact each other. Thanks for the tip though, I will take a look.

So you use a flat head screwdriver and pry and pop the rubbery cubby up (its just forward of the transmission selector, under the climate control). You insert the screwdriver under the cubby rubber where it meets the selector trim plate plastic. The screwdriver pry slots are located (if I recall correctly) in about an inch from either end (there are two).

My mistake...I thought you meant the actual panel under the shifter. Pootie Tang is correct. You just need a flat head screwdriver to pry it up. I believe that is called the console mat which is right below the climate control.

Back