505's Custom XC RC Hood...

i was wondering about the XC hood

I think Cindy had some sort of cover/drain/hose setup for her RC. Wouldn't be too difficult to fab one up, but I honestly don't see the need. I ran with those EVO vents in a couple of absolute torrential downpours here, completely sitting still on the highway for long intervals with the engine idling. This also with the SRI almost directly under the drivers vent, and I never saw any problems.

If anything I would build a shield for the top of the airfilter and leave those hood vents functional. (rockon)

even when there not cheap it happens sometimes, ive seen a few DG and even a few XC hoods yellow/haze up

Do you have proof of one of my hoods doing that? I am only aware of ONE out of the hundreds of Protege hoods I've sold, and that was due to the work that was done by a previous employee who has since been let go.

well yea, i was only talking about the one XC hood that you know of, sorry
but DG has had numerous hoods fade/chip/crack so if i was to buy another hood it would def be fom you guys :D
edited my post

well yea, i was only talking about the one XC hood that you know of, sorry
but DG has had numerous hoods fade/chip/crack so if i was to buy another hood it would def be fom you guys :D
edited my post

No worries, when you said a "few" I was wondering if you knew something I didn't lol.

The main reason our hoods are able to stand up to most UV damage over years of use is due to a special mixture we use. This mixture is proprietary, and my buddy that developed it has looked into patenting it, but it is very expensive to do. So we just don't talk about how it's done lol.

very nice, makes me want one even more

any pics of the damage on the evo style? ive got the same one but i have it completely painted so hopefully it wont mess up

any chances on getting GB on hoods? My VIS is cracking, faded, yellow, and nasty... i was actually looking at XC hoods earlier last week, but for a one-man buy, its pretty darn pricey.

any chances on getting GB on hoods? My VIS is cracking, faded, yellow, and nasty... i was actually looking at XC hoods earlier last week, but for a one-man buy, its pretty darn pricey.

once and awhile he has sales, just keep a eye on his site.

I think Cindy had some sort of cover/drain/hose setup for her RC. Wouldn't be too difficult to fab one up, but I honestly don't see the need. I ran with those EVO vents in a couple of absolute torrential downpours here, completely sitting still on the highway for long intervals with the engine idling. This also with the SRI almost directly under the drivers vent, and I never saw any problems.

If anything I would build a shield for the top of the airfilter and leave those hood vents functional. (rockon)

did some searching and came up with some mixed reviews on vented hoods and water. one person said that with the reverse cowl design the water falls between the radiator and exhaust manifold... would running this hood in rain potentially cause an aftermarket header to crack from water falling on it? I live in washington state... it rains quite a bit sometimes.

did some searching and came up with some mixed reviews on vented hoods and water. one person said that with the reverse cowl design the water falls between the radiator and exhaust manifold... would running this hood in rain potentially cause an aftermarket header to crack from water falling on it? I live in washington state... it rains quite a bit sometimes.

I have driven in serious rain here with that evo hood. The passenger side vent was directly over the exhaust manifold. I can't even count how many times I drove around and got that manifold super hot, parked in the rain, let it sit there for various amounts of time, and never had any problems.

If someone would rather play it safe, covers are not hard to fab up.

What about rust? Can you tell if anything under the hood is corroding faster than it should be? my guess would be no cause in a rain storm or heck even if the roads are just damp you are getting all kinds of water from under the car up in the engine bay.

I've had the hood for a year and have had no problems with rust in the engine bay. None at all...

Oh, and that hood is beautiful. :)

Last edited:
Why does it look so messy and unfinished underneath the hood?

They are usually smooth and uniform black on the entire underside. Mine looks the way it does because that is how I ordered it. haha. They slapped 2 extra layers on there for me to help block the heat from getting to the top.

The original plan back before I got it was to cut out the center part of the insulation from the stock hood and slap it on there, but now I am leaning more towards the thermal blanket/sheet style approach.

Basically, anything to make it stay cherry on the topside. I don't want to ever see any cooking on this one like I had with that WW.

What about rust? Can you tell if anything under the hood is corroding faster than it should be? my guess would be no cause in a rain storm or heck even if the roads are just damp you are getting all kinds of water from under the car up in the engine bay.

Exactly. Even with a stock hood, go drive around for awhile when it's wet and I betcha you end up with water everywhere. You of course want to avoid LOTS of it going into the intake, but everything else is going to be fine.

I used to worry about this a lot back when I first got the evo hood. I insisted on rain covers from them when I bought it. Never installed them once, never had an issue in 6 years.

I have a XC dual vented hood and have had it for 2/3 years now if not longer and i havent had any issues with the water in the engine bay or any problems with the hood it self 100% top quality .

Latest posts

Back