Protege engine failure

jbencosme

:
2003mazdaspeed protege
I bought a 2003 mazdaspeed protege from a dealership and they told me all i had to do was replace the turbo for a new one for about $300 so i figured id get the money by working but for the next two days the shuts off on me everytime im idleling and the next day it turns off on me and wouldnt turn back on. i called the dealer i got it from and they told me they sold it to me as is (FML). it turns out the engine has mad problems so im plannig on swapping it to get rid of all the problems! im taking the ar to Orlando so i can get it analised and checked to findout if its the head, the cylinders or the pistons and rings>>>>ill let you guys know what the mechanic says is wrong but that wont be for another day or two (TEUSDAY AT THE MOST)

So anyone have any suggestions what i should do or anyone have a 2003 mazda protege mazdaspeed 2.0L engine for sale???????

THANKS

ken at protege garage has a used FSDE block for sale right now. i dont know if its a bare block or the whole bottom end. you could contact him through the website or he has a thread in the marketplace.
if the dealer told you it was 300 for a new turbo you should find out if you can sue them for some sort of misinformation, haha... a new turbo from mazda clocks in around 2 grand. i dont know if the dealer told you it was 300 bucks but that is a bald-faced lie if ive ever heard it. sorry you got taken advantage of so badly.

anyways, what do you want to do for the long haul with the car in terms of HP? if youre going to pull the engine (and sounds like you might be) if you can afford forged hardware you should probably do it. do some research, itll run you around 4 grand to forge the engine, and another thousand bucks to change to a new turbo (if you forge the engine youre going to need something bigger than a GT25 to make real HP).

by the way - what did you pay for this car, and what was the mileage?

You can pick up a JDM long block in Opa Locka for about $600. But it depends if you are planning to do.

ken at protege garage has a used FSDE block for sale right now. i dont know if its a bare block or the whole bottom end. you could contact him through the website or he has a thread in the marketplace.
if the dealer told you it was 300 for a new turbo you should find out if you can sue them for some sort of misinformation, haha... a new turbo from mazda clocks in around 2 grand. i dont know if the dealer told you it was 300 bucks but that is a bald-faced lie if ive ever heard it. sorry you got taken advantage of so badly.

anyways, what do you want to do for the long haul with the car in terms of HP? if youre going to pull the engine (and sounds like you might be) if you can afford forged hardware you should probably do it. do some research, itll run you around 4 grand to forge the engine, and another thousand bucks to change to a new turbo (if you forge the engine youre going to need something bigger than a GT25 to make real HP).

by the way - what did you pay for this car, and what was the mileage?
yea man the dealer showd me some ebay turbo for 300 bucks i told my friend and he slapped me for being an idiot! ummm as for horsepower im hopeing for 300+ :) and i paid $6,800 and the car had 59,000miles on it. a forged engine will cost me about $4,ooo and then i get a gt25 turbo and ill be set right like all i would have to get is an aftermarket exhauster manifold for the turbo i mean what should i do ??

what should you do? go and beat the s*** out of the dealer for ripping you off and saying you can solve your issue with a chinacharger. 6800 is steep but not completely unreasonable for a working MSP, but for one with a bad turbo its really high. i know im still waiting to hear whats wrong with it aside from the turbo.

sounds like you want the forged engine, and if you do, dont waste your money on a GT25. pick up a GT28RS, its almost a direct fit and supports much more hp. the major choke points for the MSP are the intercooler and midpipe, plus the factory tune is not very good. do some reading around here and youll learn whats next.

so the plan for now is to buy a fsde from a shop by my house then buying an oem total engine rebuilt package from kens website...what else should i get to make sure the engine is ready for a bigger turbo and more hp and boost??

where do you go from here? instead of just rebuilding with stock garbage internals work with ken and put together a package where you get forged rods and pistons.
then look up some of the build threads around here to see how other people took advantage of a built engine.

where do you go from here? instead of just rebuilding with stock garbage internals work with ken and put together a package where you get forged rods and pistons.
then look up some of the build threads around here to see how other people took advantage of a built engine.

thanks man
ill keep looking but for the money i have now getting th eoem package is fine with me but ima keepon looking for FORGED rods and pistons but would i need anything else besides the rods and pistons??

ok so i went and bought a stock fsde with about 55k on it for $535 and an additional $100 for the shipping to the shop installing it for me......now i geuss when the engine is fixed ill sell the car cause i dont have the money to put into the car to keep it running in the future with the turbo so ima just get the engine tuned with the turbo and drive it to school untill i convince my mom to buy the new pistons rods and entire gasket set and a radiator also then i geuss ill sell it or keep it idk yet.....if anyone has anyparts for sale that i would need to keep the engine and turbo in good shape let me know cause its iether that or i sell the car and then my mother losses alot of money :/ or she puts about 2k from her pocket into the car and shes not likeing that idea FML

Did you get the engine from Al jap ? If you did, I would recommend that you flush the cooling system. Rust builds up in the water jackets.

Did you get the engine from Al jap ? If you did, I would recommend that you flush the cooling system. Rust builds up in the water jackets.

yea man i got the engine from all jap dude that saved me mad money man thanks alot
the mechanic is recieveing the engine by noon today and thats when he is going to flush the b**** out and put it into the car and then retune it to a safe level of boost :)
do you think its safe for me to buy used engine internals like pistons and rods and other stuff like that ?? or should i get them new?? dose it really matter??

That is a hard call. To save money yes buy used. But if you buy new at least you have a warrenty. Make sure he removes the windage tray and oil cooler from your old engine and re-installs them on the replacement.

For sure, I hate that you got screwed. But for a build that they are talking about it will cost alot of money. If I were you just get that used engine in the car and then just drive it. If you do keep the car, stay around the forums and read ALOT before you start buying parts.

agreed. but under almost absolutely no circumstance buy a bigger turbo add more boost and shoot for more hp. if you really want to run a lot of boost just sell the car and take your licks and buy a WRX. a serious build to get you to good boost numbers will literally cost you more than a WRX anyways.

For sure, I hate that you got screwed. But for a build that they are talking about it will cost alot of money. If I were you just get that used engine in the car and then just drive it. If you do keep the car, stay around the forums and read ALOT before you start buying parts.

im still waiting on the engine to get to the shop so it can be put in and start running already, so far from what i know i have to buy a radiator now or im screwed AGAIN. my friend says i should get a koyo radiator cause they run for about the same as an oem so thats my best bet for now!!!!
when the car is running my mechanic is goin to check for any turbo problems (i hope theres no problems)
when i get the radioator i plann on getting a turbo timer and boost controller and a wideband gauge should i get a gauge
ill keep you guys posted on anything i know and buy also
thanks alot

ive never heard of a koyo radiator on these cars. look at corksport and ron davis, i think someone else makes one too, and one of the sponsors is considering it as well.

Back