Leather Steering Wheel Cover

hawkeyehep

:
2008 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring AWD
Anyone have a good source for a leather aftermarket steering wheel cover that will fit the CX-9?

Wheelskins makes nice leather steering wheel covers. It doesn't look quite as nice as from the factory, since you have to go around the spokes, but the feel is really nice. You need to take your time on the install, pulling each stitch real tight, but the end result is nice. I put one on my last car and really was pleased with it.

You can get them at wheelskins.com, or there are other vendors on ebay that will sell them for a little less.

I actually have exercised the idea of adding a leather steering wheel cover too because my leather is a little worn and looks blemishy but since I am out of warranty I would have to dish out the money for a new steering wheel or find a used one in great condition.

I haven't tried a dye but I have applied Lexol leather cleaner and then Lexol leather conditioner to no success. Come to think of it, I do beleive its a dye problem because if I look at it very close, it looks like the black color/film has comoe off in those certain areas and I can see the bare raw hide.

Yeah well I will have to look for a good leather dye and sealer although it sounds to complicated and time consuming for such a small area, maybe I can score on a used steering wheel on eBay, because at 61K miles I think I will find hard to get something covered under warranty...lol!

I'm going to add a cover just to make the wheel more padded and a bigger diameter. My other car is a BMW Z4M which has a thick padded wheel and I like the feel of that.

I know what you mean, my Mother in Law has a 2007 335ci and her steering wheel feels nice and fatly padded. Man that car moves....

Dallas Custom Steering wheels will recover your wheel. They also do custom color and stitching if you like. You will need to send them your wheel though and they're not cheap either.
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm

Or for a DIY project, I had luck dying the steering wheel on my other car. I used a product called "Color Plus" to change the color of my wheel from brown to black and it has held up well for the past 3 years.

http://www.colorplus.com/

Back