2002 Protege5 AWD conversion---> Possible?

I think the best way will be to use a Mitsubishi Evo parts because most the parts should fit. Because it's a transverse engine and the lay out the mostly the same.

Huh?

Why not use the drivetrain from the JDM AWD Sport 20?

There's a local guy here doing an AWD conversion, but this one has a little twist to it. Almost bulletproof drive train !!

DSC01600.jpg

Is that a Protege? can you tell all of what he did to this thing to get the AWD conversion done?

Thanks in advance!

Is that a Protege? can you tell all of what he did to this thing to get the AWD conversion done?

Thanks in advance!

Don't waste your time. The Protege is a neat car, but not a sports car. Unless you're REALLY sentimentally attached to the body, i would just leave the protege alone as a daily driver, buy yourself an AWD eclipse/talon. Already AWD and has twice the power of a protege right out of the box. The entire car ready to go would cost less than the conversion, and then you can let this thread die; after 7 years it is ready to rest.

Don't waste your time. The Protege is a neat car, but not a sports car. Unless you're REALLY sentimentally attached to the body, i would just leave the protege alone as a daily driver, buy yourself an AWD eclipse/talon. Already AWD and has twice the power of a protege right out of the box. The entire car ready to go would cost less than the conversion, and then you can let this thread die; after 7 years it is ready to rest.

Well, I am actually attached to this car... I have one that's been flooded (my original P5), and one that has rear end damage with 15K on it (won at an auction for $1500.00, 1 owner, all records and all paperwork accounted for, clean Carfax). I will be doing a full swap of everything from the totaled one to my original one and will have everything apart during the process. So that being said, While I have it apart, I with be "forging" the engine, adding turbo, etc. And while I am at it, Id like to do the AWD conversion as well.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! PM me if you can!

Thanks in advance!

sounds like an awful lot of work for a car that is worth only worth about $2k when it's all done and fixed up.

Is it just me or am I off base in seeing the contradiction between the totaled car that was won for $1500 and "clean carfax" lol. (which is way too much $ for a totaled car)

we all have cars that we have enjoyed in the past but sometimes you just have to move on. it would take such an incredible amount of work, time, and expense to not only turbo a N/A protege but also cut it up and fabricate all that would need to be fabbed to make it AWD (you're going to have to cut a LOT of sheet metal, rework the interior to compensate for the new driveline tunnel, engine/trans swap, make room for a rear diff, etc) that at that point i don't think the car would even be structurally sound anymore. is it POSSIBLE? sure, with enough time, money, and custom fabrication skills anything is possible. However i cringe to think what would happen if that thing were wrecked after you cut out all of the structural supports to make room for your AWD conversion, that thing would crinkle faster than a coors can. I would never feel comfortable driving that on the street.

Sell what you've got, get what you can for it. you can pick up a bug eye wrx wagon for pretty reasonable price that already has everything you want... turbo, AWD, handles great, etc. and you would be safe driving it on the street.

Well, I am actually attached to this car... I have one that's been flooded (my original P5), and one that has rear end damage with 15K on it (won at an auction for $1500.00, 1 owner, all records and all paperwork accounted for, clean Carfax). I will be doing a full swap of everything from the totaled one to my original one and will have everything apart during the process. So that being said, While I have it apart, I with be "forging" the engine, adding turbo, etc. And while I am at it, Id like to do the AWD conversion as well.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! PM me if you can!

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently doing the ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 conversion to my oem 4wd bj chassis. I've added the page with pix showing the start of conversion. My car is a jdm 4wd import.

http://www.wheelsjamaica.com/wheels_forum/index.php?topic=246687.50

i don't think it would be worth the effort unless your protege is in very good shape, you're willing to tune/and or boost the motor (if possible based on condition) and lets not forget that you will have to adjust damper rates front/rear to compensate for the modified power delivery, plus actually making it happen will be lots and lots of work... and I don't see much of a purpose in this plan to be perfectly honest. my recommendation is to get a LSD, better tires, sway bars, coilovers and some camber plates instead. I swear it would drive better than any AWD swap.

Back