2002 Protege5 AWD conversion---> Possible?

I'm currently looking into buying a AWD sport20 here in Japan for like 1800 American dollars. My plan is to drive it for the 2 years I have left here and then strip all the parts off of it and send everything back to the states to mod my P5 there with the JDM stuff and the AWD system and components. Plus the FS-ZE motor that is in it is better than my standard 2.0 in the states with the extra 40hp.(cabpatch)

$1800 should get you a decent car. I have seen them sell for 30,000 yen at auction.

actually that might not be that bad if u do all the work yourself, this is actually the most realistic chance of getting a awd p5 in the states

Yes, it's possible!to the Japanese market are manufactured with all-wheel drive, there is even the mechanical transmission!Brought from Japan car for parts cut to the front of the car chati!

images

Let's see those STI swaps.

Do you still with the P5 AWD project? I have some input for you cheaper than import from china that can help.
I will start this project at middle of 2013, I’m saving money for the project. I did a lot of reseach on this. (long life to google and wikipedia!!!)
Yours is manual or automatic? You can do the conversion on bough.

it will cost arround $3000- to do it and you keep your original engine!!!!! (if is the 2.0)
the only down side for most of people is that the car can not go lower than the original hight do to the rear diferential but to me is not problem...

i was thinking not to share this so i can be the first one to have it AWD but that is to selfish so however wan to know PM me and i let you know, theoricly realy easy.

lets do this!!! - (next year)

If you did research you would know how weak those transmissions are. Seriously the stock diff in the msp is stronger

I've seen a couple threads where people have broken transfer cases on the bone stock fsze. If 170 chp can break a trans its not worth it

If you did research you would know how weak those transmissions are. Seriously the stock diff in the msp is stronger

I've seen a couple threads where people have broken transfer cases on the bone stock fsze. If 170 chp can break a trans its not worth it

you will need to replace the trany with one that come with the transfer and is for that engine up to V6 3.0, the ratio in gears is the same of the original for the P5. personaly I think that it can hold it...

But again i do not start the project yet so i dont know.

Don't discourage tweety. We all love MP5's, I am understanding a lot of frustrations with the motor already. I too wish I had the time and money to hack this thing apart and make it nothing than a nice looking shell to a beast drivetrain.

Not discouraging I just hope its Atleast boosted. You want enough power to spin a lil bit. Awd hooking up on hard launches= lots of broken things

thing right and it will bring quality parts from Japanese Mazda name AWD!povdu on how to bring spare parts, better communicate with BRIAN_MP5T, he has such an experience!all you potrebutesya is to remake the back of the floor!if you want I can give you part numbers and diagrams!

reference to the transmission in my country
http://parts.japancar.ru/jc/view/parts/P244832024/photo3.html

Last edited:
Pretty sure the system on those cars are 4WD and not AWD. Not worth it in my opinion unless you will leave it stock and live in a snowy region.

thing right and it will bring quality parts from Japanese Mazda name AWD!povdu on how to bring spare parts, better communicate with BRIAN_MP5T, he has such an experience!all you potrebutesya is to remake the back of the floor!if you want I can give you part numbers and diagrams!

reference to the transmission in my country
http://parts.japancar.ru/jc/view/parts/P244832024/photo3.html

brian is not the one who imported the car that he bought the pieces off of. I'm all for AWD but that is why i bought a turboed car that came with factory AWD, too much work and money to spend on a 10+ year old car to make it 4wd IMO

I'm gona have a 400 ish awhp car that's 25 years old. What's wrong with that?

Also I'm pretty sure it's full time 4wd. Better for snow and mud but worse for longevity. So I've read anyway

Back