MT clutch question

lindsayt

:
Mazda 5
Let me start by saying that I've driven only standard transmissions for the last ten years - I hate automatics - and that in that time I've *never* burned out a clutch or had any troubles, including the car I learned on. That includes 120,000 on two previous cars and 35,000 miles on two motorcycles. The Mazda 5 has possibly the nicest clutch of the cars I've driven, and its shifter is pretty good.

My goal when I start from a stop is to keep the revs absolutely constant through the release of the clutch - once one really understands the car and the clutch in question, it's just so satisfying to have an absolutely, completely smooth start and to match the revs perfectly.

As with anybody learning a new car, there have been a few times - on hills, most notably - when I or my wife have overcompensated and spun the engine up around 2500 rpm before the engine engaged, for maybe a half second. I don't think anything of it, as that happens to everybody occasionally, except on our (brand new) 5 it produces a terrible smell. Given that it's a new car I sort of assume it's probably because the extra heat produced is burning some manufacturing compound off the exterior of the transmission casing (I have a scooter that came from the factory with cosmolene on everything, for example), but it does make me a bit nervous - is it possible this transmission is susceptible to severe overheating from a momentary, minor over-rev during engagement? Is it possible the smell is the transmission itself and not some manufacturing remnant on the outside?

Again, I'm not talking about revving the engine and dropping the clutch or anything like that - we get it on a smooth release of the clutch when we give it a little too much gas, such as on a hill start. It's only happened three or four times because we're both experienced manual drivers. Opinions?

hom many miles are on the car? i would think it would be normal for at least the first 10k or so. if it REALLY concerns you, call up the dealer and ask what they think.

You may want to report that to Mazda and see if there might be a PCM flash update. Throttle by wire can be kind of tricky. If the commanded throttle postion and actual throttle position differ, you can get surges.

Try moving your seat back a bit, and getting the clutch to engage a bit earlier. I had to do that (and I have driven a lot of manuals of all types) and so far, so good.

our new '09 M5 also produced a funny smell for a little while; I didn't notice it, my wife did (don't they always?) but I didn't think that much of it. w/o smoke, I tend not to worry about smells.

We'll pass 2000 miles today, most likely. I noticed this once when the car had about 100 miles, once at about 700 miles, and once yesterday; there might be another one in there. Again, the fact that we raced the engine a little is entirely *our* fault (user error on a new car), but that happens to everybody occasionally. I've just never experienced such a minor error producing such an awful smell. I can't even imagine some person learning to drive a stick on this car - it would probably permanently stink by now.

This may be a silly question:

Does it smell like clutch lining, or something else?

We've not experienced such a smell from our '06 MT, but then again the wife mainly drives the car, and she doesn't have a very good nose. I've never smelled it, though, and when it was new I drove it quite a bit. Sadly, the wife uses the clutch as a braking system when backing out of the garage (shifts to first (actually, to second and then immediately first) and slips the clutch to stop and then begin moving forward). Even with that ludicrous abuse, it doesn't smell. It's starting to shudder on takeoff for me now, which I expect is a partial sign of wear, but it doesn't smell.

P.S. We've got just over 50k miles on it now.

Wow, lindsayt, you "raced" the engine up to 2500 rpms. Can I buy that thing when you are done with it? Practially NOBODY has the restraint to actually treat their drivetrains right in the break-in period. HATS OFF TO YOU!

:) Thanks, I've broken in too many 3rd-world engines to go crazy during the break-in! How many Americans can say they've put 13,000 miles on a 150cc India-built engine?

To be fair though, the "2500 rpm" was in the context of engine speed during clutch engagement, and that is a bit too high.

How many Americans can say they've put 13,000 miles on a 150cc India-built engine?

Do you mean NOW or 10 years from now? Won't be long before they are building everything and not just taking tech support calls.

For what it's worth I've driven many different standard transmissions over the past 30 years and my wife's 2009 Mazda 5 has the most difficult to modulate clutch I've ever driven. Clutch pedal return is not linear and the engagement point is very high. I find it difficult to shift gears smoothly without over-revving the engine on occasion.

She has also noticed a burnt smell on occasion. I've taken it to the (useless) dealer twice and of course get the usual "there's nothing wrong sir", "it was fine when we drove it". :rolleyes:

Personally I don't have a lot of confidence in the life of the clutch on the 5.

Oddly (or maybe not) my 2009 Mazda 3 (same 2.3 L engine and 5 speed transmission) has a much more linear clutch return and is also lighter to boot.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I've driven many different standard transmissions over the past 30 years and my wife's 2009 Mazda 5 has the most difficult to modulate clutch I've ever driven. Clutch pedal return is not linear and the engagement point is very high. I find it difficult to shift gears smoothly without over-revving the engine on occasion.

She has also noticed a burnt smell on occasion. I've taken it to the (useless) dealer twice and of course get the usual "there's nothing wrong sir", "it was fine when we drove it". :rolleyes:

Personally I don't have a lot of confidence in the life of the clutch on the 5.

Oddly (or maybe not) my 2009 Mazda 3 (same 2.3 L engine and 5 speed transmission) has a much more linear clutch return and is also lighter to boot.

I think you have an odd one there. I've also driven manual almost exclusively the last 20+ yrs, and I was immediately happy w/ the M5 clutch. mine I would describe as short throw, close to the floor/mid point engagement, definetly not high engagement. I can shift mine so smooth that passengers didn't realize it was a manual!

I think you have an odd one there. I've also driven manual almost exclusively the last 20+ yrs, and I was immediately happy w/ the M5 clutch. mine I would describe as short throw, close to the floor/mid point engagement, definetly not high engagement. I can shift mine so smooth that passengers didn't realize it was a manual!

Yeah I'll probably go test drive another 5 to see if it's any better.

.... my wife's 2009 Mazda 5 has the most difficult to modulate clutch I've ever driven. Clutch pedal return is not linear and the engagement point is very high. I find it difficult to shift gears smoothly without over-revving the engine on occasion..... Personally I don't have a lot of confidence in the life of the clutch on the 5...

I'm sorta with you on this one. Mine is an 08 and I've found it to be sometimes tempermental and more difficult to modulate than anything else I've owned. It it is 30F or below outside the clutch pedal almost doesn't want to come up off the floor. Sometimes there is clutch chatter, the a/c cycling makes this thing bounce off the mounts in slow traffic, etc... Not the smoothest I've ever had. My wife who rarely drives a stick can get in my V8, 5-speed Dodge Dakota and run it like a pro. She stalls or over-revs the 5 ever time..... I have an 06 Sentra Spec-V also. Way easier to modulate.

Well... I'm only too eager to chime in!

My 2009 exhibits that smell occasionally (I'm at 18,000 miles) and, yes, my situation is similar having driven mostly manual transmission-equipped cars for the past 20+ years. I notice the smell on steep hills which, fortunately, is a rare occurence.

I find that the clutch/throttle relationship exhibits an unnerving (though inconsistent) artificial feeling, moreso than any other DBW car I've owned or driven. I generally have to concentrate to be smooth, with higher revs than usual, as if the 5 had a super light flywheel.

I've gone to the dealer and their response is that clutch operation is normal. My guess is that the clutch material Mazda uses is, perhaps, made of dried saurkraut and that a TSB will be issues any day now...

I've gone to the dealer and their response is that clutch operation is normal. My guess is that the clutch material Mazda uses is, perhaps, made of dried saurkraut and that a TSB will be issues any day now...

I hope you're right about the TSB. I had the clutch replaced under a "secret" warranty on my 1987 Mazda 323 due to clutch chatter. It did improve it but didn't totally resolve it. Based on the weather and temperature of the car I could basically predict when it would happen which sort of made it tolerable given it wasn't a totally random event.

Well there are a handful of us here with this clutch issue-- pobably others. The smell is one thing but I wonder more about the heat generated. I've never experienced clutch stink like this before...

While almost all of the 8000 km i've driven over the past 7 months has been in above freezing weather, I have been very satisfied with the operation of the clutch.

Normally, I'm able to release the clutch with the engine at idle speed (at least on flat or down slopes), and almost never stall. Minor revs (800-1000rpm) are required for hills.

I love this clutch!

That's the one thing that has kept me from enjoying this amazingly capable vehicle (the clutch). I envy anyone with "normal" clutch operation...

While almost all of the 8000 km i've driven over the past 7 months has been in above freezing weather, I have been very satisfied with the operation of the clutch.

Normally, I'm able to release the clutch with the engine at idle speed (at least on flat or down slopes), and almost never stall. Minor revs (800-1000rpm) are required for hills.

I love this clutch!

thinking about this thread, I started paying attention to how I've been driving it; I've been letting the clutch out until it grabs, then pressing the gas. clutch operation is so smooth, you can let it out from a stop and barely give it gas.

Back