GI: Carbon fiber parts for MS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

destrux

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT Black Mica
I've seen carbon fiber lips, hoods, and hatches for the 07-09 mazdaspeed3, but is there any interest in other body parts made out of carbon fiber or carbon kevlar? Mostly thinking of medium and small sized parts like grilles, trim, interior, underhood parts (IC ducting, intake kits). Some stuff will be OEM style, some will be restyled. I'm trying to gauge how interested people would be in these parts before I invest money in making molds for the parts.

Also, would you be willing to pay extra (about 70% increase in price) for lighter weight and stronger dry carbon (true pre-preg) or would you rather have lower cost (but still high quality vac-bagged) wet carbon fiber parts?

One last thing... Any particular parts you'd like to see made of carbon?

Depending on interest, prototypes will follow and I'll apply for AV status and post more info on availability and pricing then.

Myself. I've been working with composites on a hobby level for a few years, and I've been modding cars (mostly sport compacts) for 10 years. I'd be designing, producing, marketing, and selling the parts myself.

OK, then I'd imagine this is more likely to produce some products. Personaly I would be interested in seeing most of the products already out by DG but at a better price.

You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone around here that's willing to pay for true pre-preg. Trust me I know, after being in the industry for years now. However, they will expect pre-preg quality for the price of a wet lay up. That's just the way it is.

I would be very interested in dash pieces, door trim, console pieces, etc..Let me know if you get that up and running

I kind of figured on the pre-preg being a hard sell. There isn't that much extra you have to do to make a mold that can be used to make pre-preg parts so I'll probably just make molds that can be used for both.

I'll take a look at what DG makes, I can't produce exact copies of what they are already selling, but I can design parts for the same area/purpose.

I'm going to start off with the mazdaspeed3, then branch off into other vehicles. I will need a car to use to make molds and test fit parts onto for each vehicle type (I only have a mazdaspeed3), but when the time comes, I'll post for volunteers.

I'd be interested in a rear diffuser at a reasonable price. The DG one looks good, but is a gamble as to whether it will fit right. That is a definite gap in the market as the rearend of our cars look incomplete.

rear diffuser absolutely. needs to be functional though. I will be interested to see where you go with this project and good luck!

I'd be interested in a rear diffuser at a reasonable price. The DG one looks good, but is a gamble as to whether it will fit right. That is a definite gap in the market as the rearend of our cars look incomplete.

+1. I'd be definitely down as well.

destrux, You do realize, I hope, that in order to sell products like a vendor here, or on any privately owned forum that you would be required to become an authorized vendor, don't you?
That expense would have to be added to your bottom line, should you qualify to become authorized.
If you are serious about doing this, may I suggest you do a little preliminary research... e.g. write to Antoine to get an idea what it might entale.

Just thought I would add that the MS6 guys have been looking for a quality carbon fiber chin spoiler for quite a while. There is the AutoEXE product, and subsequent knock-offs, but that is about it.

Just a heads-up.

even beyond that. . . Us MS6 guys would love CF interior pieces as well. Whether they be A-pillars, radio surround, the triple dash gauge pod, or other parts. I am a CF fiend. Come out with it at a reasonable price and others will buy it.

I hope this thread doesnt get wiped before we can get any pics of sample work. It would be nice to have an in house carbon guy on 24/7. It would be 1up on other boards, if it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back