Will warranty fix cracked rear taillight?

iracer7

Noticed it tonight when getting gas. I haven't hit anything, but it's been really cold, and I'm thinking it could of cracked because of the recent cold? I ran my finger over it and it didn't feel like anything hit it...wasn't rough or anything. Do you think warranty will fix it?

48076752316850267300.jpg

technically that would be physically inclusive in the 'bumper-to-bumper' statement, but warranties don't cover cosmetic or body parts unless it is dealing with faulty factory parts. give it a try and let us know. good luck.

From my experience working as both a service advisor and parts counter guy over the years no dealer with warranty a cracked light. Like the others said go talk to the service department.

The picture looks like there is a star where the two sweeps of the crack come together, that is your impact point. If it was a single sweep from one end to the other it could be a mfg problem.

I'm just gonna wait until I need an oil change then ask them about it when I go in. Where can I find the part number for it? It's not the actual brake lights, it's the back up light housing.

Your only hope is to be able to make a good argument that it was not caused by an outside force and is due to a manufacturing defect.
I got my sister-in-law's side window replaced for that because the crack was obviously from the inside and was over the reinforcing gasket.
You have to know what you are talking about and make a very convincing argument.

This will be something for your insurance adjuster.

Probably way below the deductable and any claim just jacks up your premium next year.

What does the lens cost? Probably not much. Not like a headight lens. If they won't cover it under warranty, just buy one and replace it yourself. It will be the labor that will eat you alive.

Probably way below the deductable and any claim just jacks up your premium next year.

What does the lens cost? Probably not much. Not like a headight lens. If they won't cover it under warranty, just buy one and replace it yourself. It will be the labor that will eat you alive.

Agreed

mebbe one of the tailight bakers knows the price?

from what i remember, you can't bake the taillights...it's not sealed the same as the headlights. if dealer won't warranty it....your best bet is to search around on ebay...luckily it looks like it's just the reverse light section of the taillight so it shouldn't be as expensive.

editL did a quick search on ebay and came up with this.....

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I posted the below in a previous thread regarding the baking of tail lights:

From what I read, other members have discouraged baking and opening tail lights due to a different type of seal. A few people tried baking the tails (like the headlights) and they wouldn't budge. They kept trying and trying and they ended up melting them. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Here is someone else's post from another forum:

The reason why you can't bake them is because they are not sealed with glue . . . the lens is fused to the housing (read: housing is melted along the edges, then lens is stuck on it to while still hot). Or so it would seem from looking at it. The easiest way to open it up would be to cut around the outside very carefully. Not sure what the best way to do that is though since when I was grinding mine down, the plastic tended to melt and turn kind of gooey rather than turn into dust like you'd expect it to. It dremmels like styrene . . .

At this point, see what the dealer says. No harm in trying. If they don't repair it, buying just that one rear reverse tail light pod should be a cheaper than the tail light itself (especially if it's an LED version).

Back