New problem - grinding noise front wheels

kubus_MP5

:
'11 Ford Flex
After I got my belts replaced, I have new annoying noise. Driver side wheel is making grinding noise, most apparent between 30-35mph. I'm thinking wheel bearing as it sounds like one that went bad on my Explorer.
Anyone had problems with wheel bearings, or the same noise and turned out to be something else then a bearing? I hope it doesn't go deeper then the bearing.

Sure they put the correct belts on? tensioned correctly?
Usually bearing noise is audible at lower speeds, not 30-35mph?
Lift the side of the car the noise is coming from and spin the wheel and see how mch play is in it?

I just mentioned the belts, cause they were so loud, they covered other noises, and yes they are correct.
The noise is there even at 10mph, so basically at any speed. I was just hearing it at 30 as that's pretty much the speed I was traveling yesterday on my way home. I wish i could just jack it up, as that's a sure way to figure out if it is a bearing. Except with all the snow, cold and still POed after changing the light bulb, I wasn't feeling like working on it.
I dropped it off last night at my mechanic.

My mechanic just called, it's not a wheel bearing... its transmission, I have the auto. This is just great!

well turns it wasn't tranny, but bearings and I had them replace both of them just in case. Under $400 for both and with Tranny fluid change (just in case, it was a little on a brown side).

Back