How do you pull the stock HU out???

skallen

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I have an 09 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with the non-Blose stereo. How would I go about yanking the stock HU in favour of my aftermarket one? I have the dash kit and wiring already, just need to remove the HU. I couldn't find a thread in the how-to section.

It's certainly already in multiple threads, but here you go.

3 - Remove the carbon trim by opening the glove box, and pulling towards you. Work you way towards the drivers side first, go back to the right side, and finish on the driver's side again. Watch out for the right side, since it's got a tab that tucks underneath. If it doesn't come out easily, you need to clear more of it on the left side first.
GROMaudio_install06.jpg

GROMaudio_install07.jpg

4 - Now that you have removed the trim, unscrew the screws that hold the factory stereo in place (the botton row, as shown circled in red), and pull the stereo unit towards you (the LCD screen will stay attached to the unit).
GROMaudio_install08.jpg

GROMaudio_install09.jpg

GROMaudio_install10.jpg

GROMaudio_install11.jpg

5 - 2 cables will be plugged in the back of the stereo. The fat, square one is the main harness. To unplug it, push on the little tab at the bottom, then pull, gently but firmly. The round cable with a red tip is the antenna. To remove it, same thing, pull gently but firmly. Once you have removed these cables, you will be able to competely remove the stereo unit. Here's a photo of the back. The connector circled in red is the CD changer connector, the one you will use to plug the GROM audio vehicle specific cable into.
GROMaudio_install12.jpg

6 - Remove the cup holder compartment, by simply pulling on it, as indicated on the following photo:
GROMaudio_install13.jpg

7 - Release the gear shift knob unit, by simply lifting it, as shown:
GROMaudio_install14.jpg

GROMaudio_install15.jpg

8 - This will reveal 2 screws that hold the ashtray compartment. Unscrew them as indicated, then pull the ashtray compartment towards you (it helps to stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole):
GROMaudio_install16.jpg

GROMaudio_install17.jpg

GROMaudio_install18.jpg

GROMaudio_install19.jpg

9 - It is now time to feed the vehicle specific cable (the one that connects the back of the stereo to the grom audio interface box) downwards, towards the ashtray compartment:
GROMaudio_install20.jpg

GROMaudio_install21.jpg

10 - You can now connect that cable to the back of the stereo (not shown, but please refer to the picture in step 5 to see which connector it should plug into) and to the interface box, and also reconnect the antenna cable and the main harness cable:
GROMaudio_install22.jpg

11 - Plug the iPod docking cable into the interface box, and guide the cable as shown. I used double-sided sticky velcro to maintain the interface in place (I also made sure that the ashtray unit would still fit before sticking the interface definitively)
GROMaudio_install23.jpg

GROMaudio_install24.jpg

12 - It is now time to test the installation, before closing everything up. First, re-connect the negative terminal on your car battery. Then flip the key to ACC, turn on the stereo, plug the iPod docking cable into the iPod, and enjoy what's happening! Your iPod is playing through your car factory stereo!!! :-D You will see on the first pictures that, in basic mode, you keep control over your iPod:
GROMaudio_install25.jpg

GROMaudio_install26.jpg

However, in advanced mode, the iPod is locked out:
GROMaudio_install27.jpg

13 - Finish the installation by feeding the cable through the circled opening in the cup holder compartment:
GROMaudio_install28.jpg

GROMaudio_install29.jpg

14 - You can now put everything back in place. You're done! Put away your tools, and admire your installation!
GROMaudio_install30.jpg

GROMaudio_install31.jpg

GROMaudio_install32.jpg

I swear to god I searched for this and couldn't find **** all for it....I'm a dumbass...I'll admit it...But thank you anyways!!!

I've got a regular Kenwood MP3 CD player (dolphin deck) that I am going to put in my 07 Speed 3 for now until I get my Pioneer double DIN with Nav. Will this screw up my display for the climate control stuff? I am fairly new to Mazdas (and even newer to modding Mazdas). I have the dash trim piece as well as the wiring plug that goes into the factory Mazda wiring. I just want to make sure the LCD for the climate control will still work. I know the clock and CD display will not work if I go aftermarket. Any clarification on this would help huge.

I've got a regular Kenwood MP3 CD player (dolphin deck) that I am going to put in my 07 Speed 3 for now until I get my Pioneer double DIN with Nav. Will this screw up my display for the climate control stuff? I am fairly new to Mazdas (and even newer to modding Mazdas). I have the dash trim piece as well as the wiring plug that goes into the factory Mazda wiring. I just want to make sure the LCD for the climate control will still work. I know the clock and CD display will not work if I go aftermarket. Any clarification on this would help huge.

All '06+ US models have a separate plug for the HU LCD so even without the HU connected to the system you'll still have your AMB display and ACC display. You should also get to keep the display for the DIS, however it's only going to stay with whatever you have it set to with the OEM HU and you won't be able to change what it's displaying.

The catch is you need to make sure you get a dash kit that includes the brackets to hold the LCD, or fab your own.

Ya...I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure that the plug I pulled from the back of the headunit was for the top mount LCD display...Mainly because I didn't have to pull anything from the LCD to get the radio out...Damn that sucks...I guess I am going to have to source out an American LCD display!!

Successfully installed my CD player (although I had an issue with the wiring harness. Apparently the remote wire on the aftermarket wiring harness didn't match up with the stock wiring harness. That took me a while to figure out) I also dropped the retention plugs that hold the dash kit in. Well I didn't drop them...They fell out when I put the dash kit in. They are now somewhere down my centre stack. But the clips that hold the trim for the stock LCD will do until I get my double din Nav deck...Thanks for all the info and the help!!!

Back