Fixing Excessive Road Noise

I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar whirring road noise with their P5. The noise seems to change pitch with wheel speed and gets louder as the wheel speed increases.

I first noticed the noise when I purchased the car a year ago, but then one of my front sway bar end links went bad and the noise stopped. Last weekend I replaced the links and now the noise is back and even louder!

Has anyone else had a similar problem or know a fix?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, CV joint or bearing. Could be tranny as well. Doe sit change if you go into neutral? When safe to do so - turn the engine off and coast in neutral* and listen if the noise persists.

*Remember - you won'lt have power steerng or power brakes ;)

Yeah, CV joint or bearing. Could be tranny as well. Doe sit change if you go into neutral? When safe to do so - turn the engine off and coast in neutral* and listen if the noise persists.

*Remember - you won'lt have power steerng or power brakes ;)

Yeah, it's likely the wheel bearing. The noise persists in neutral and with the engine off. It's weird that the end links influence the wheel bearing enough to cause it make noise (uhm).

Yeah, it's likely the wheel bearing. The noise persists in neutral and with the engine off. It's weird that the end links influence the wheel bearing enough to cause it make noise (uhm).

It's not the endlinks that are causing the wheel bearings to make noise. It's the weight of the car, combined with the rotation of the wheels. All of these forces applied to bad wheel bearings will produce the whirring sound.

In other words, even if you disconnected the endlinks, you'd still get whirring.

I jacked my car up and wiggled the front driver side wheel (back and forth parallel to the axle). There was noticable play when I did this, so it's definitely the wheel bearings making the noise.

Reading other posts, failed wheel bearings seem to be a common problem with the P5.

Last edited:
CV Joint only comes into play when turning right? I thought I remember my mechanic telling me that blown CV joints give noise clues when you're turning.

At first, yes. But when they get really bad, they can make noise all the time, like wheel bearings. But if the CV boots aren't torn, the joints are probably fine.

Mine done this a while ago. It was the tires. The shop told me it is caused by mis alignment and the term they used is cupping. I changed the tires and don't have the problem anymore.

So I jack my car up and wiggle the wheel top and bottom to see for play to indicate a problem with the bearings. What do I do to check the bushings(?) or CV Joint?

Just like another guy said it could also be the tires.. My alignment is perfect (for now lol) but I get a whine that gets louder as I get faster. Took it to a shop and they said its my Directional V tread tires.

Back