2009 Mid-Year Change For Oil Filter

Curious: How does making the housing out of plastic (cartridge filter system on the 5) make these issues less likely than using a steel can (spin-on filter system on the 5)?
The plastic part of the cartridge housing is stronger than the rolled seam of the spin-on can or the gasket surface, which is where spin-on filters tend to fail.

I see. I think it would be interesting to make a comparison of actual failure rates between:

The metal spin-on filters used on the new 5s in the manner you describe
vs.
The plastic cartridge housing being broken/compromised by people as they unscrew and screw them back on.

Personally, I'll take a spin-on every time, but that's not to do with the failure rates either way.

I see. I think it would be interesting to make a comparison of actual failure rates between:

The metal spin-on filters used on the new 5s in the manner you describe
vs.
The plastic cartridge housing being broken/compromised by people as they unscrew and screw them back on.

Personally, I'll take a spin-on every time, but that's not to do with the failure rates either way.

yeah ive got the cartridge kind and after ever oil change it leaks for about 2 hours of driving then seals up, so i bought the conversion kit and ive heard they are pretty nice and are alot easier to change. I also had the problem like the 1000000000 other mazda owners where the oil filter is not where the hole is so i took a 4 inch disk drilling bit, for a pvc plumbing tube, and just drilled right where the filter is. works so much easier then taking the entire plastic dirt shield off everytime. and no oil drips on the plastic either so no more smellin the burnt oil.

I just recently had the dealer do the oil and filter change under the dealer's supplied 1-year maintenance plan on my 2009 Mazda5.

I was surprised that the dealer used a spin-on oil filter during the first scheduled maintenance.

The dealer's itemized invoice listed the following for this first scheduled maintenance service:

Parts:

1 9956-41-400 Gasket
5 Oil
1 LF05-14-302A Filter, Oil Assy

I believe part number LF05-14-302A is the latest part number used by Mazda for the spin-on oil filter.

Last edited:
Back