budget headers?

hello all, new here. i just purchased a 2003 Mazda Protege. i bought it used, with 103,XXX miles. i was told before buying it the header was cracked. After doing some research on the header that was on it, i realized it was complete junk. It's a "Forza Tuning" header. So after reading that the header was a pile of s***, i decided why waste my money on getting it re-welded when i could save for a better header. I would like to spend as little as possible (which i realize, with headers, is not easy to do)so what do you guys recommend?

since im new car, ill post some info of my car, and some poor quality pics:
2003 Protege (unsure of the trim package, as it looks totally different from stock)
Auto
AEM Cold Air Intake
Upgraded rims (still unsure of what they are, but they do have a flying M in the center cap, so their something from mazda)
Sony CDX-F5000 Head Unit

1211091334.jpg

1211091334a.jpg

Well, you could get an eBay header for $50 and risk fitment issues. Or buy an OBX header for a ridiculous $2XX. But really, either of those 2 will run the risk of fitment issues. Even my OBX doesn't fit perfectly.

It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to spend.

ebay headers suck period

dont waste your money, i have an ebay header that i had on my car for a while, and the quality was great, no cracks or anything like that, but the EGR bung was waaaaay off
it was at a completely different angle, i got it too work but ened up stripping a bolt in the head and when i took it off i had to cut the EGR pipe to get it off

dont get a header, just get a cat back and maybe a test pipe and youll have a great sounding car, headers make the car sound like crap if you already have an exhaust

Not true.

I have a Magnaflow catback with an OBX header with the stock midpipe and it sounds great. A bit like an Impreza. No raspy or farty sounds at all.

Last edited:
well i ment with a test pipe, i had a header and megan racing cat back and it sounded ok

sounded alot better when i had the megan racing catback and test pipe with no header

header+test pipe+CBE= horrible sounding exhaust

and not to burst your bubble, but our cars will never sound like a impreza lol i wish though, they sound so nice

Welcome to the forum. A little OT but you have an 03 with 4 bolt wheels?
I didn't think any '03s had them but if anything then it's a probably a DX...the base model.
Unless you aren't in the U.S.
Where are you located?

i have an OBX header i just took off the car when i turbo'd it. im gonna put it up for sale tomorrow probably if you want it. it was on the car for about a year and a few months and is in great condition. i'll get some pics up tomorrow

well i ment with a test pipe, i had a header and megan racing cat back and it sounded ok

sounded alot better when i had the megan racing catback and test pipe with no header

header+test pipe+CBE= horrible sounding exhaust

and not to burst your bubble, but our cars will never sound like a impreza lol i wish though, they sound so nice

i dont agree with this statement of that setup sounding bad. i run a head high flow mid pipe and a racing beat catback and i think it sounds amazing. to each their own i guess.

i ran the header and catless midpipe (so no cats at all) with a mazdaspeed axle back and it sounded pretty good. a little raspy but more of a racecar sound than a honda

i dont agree with this statement of that setup sounding bad. i run a head high flow mid pipe and a racing beat catback and i think it sounds amazing. to each their own i guess.

well good thing i said, TEST PIPE
my car sounds good right now i guess but im just saying i liked it better with just the test pipe and the CBE

and to the video, if that car was turbo i think it would be closer, it sounds nice yea, but the subarus have that rumble that we will never have

a wrx actually was coming to a stop at a light and passd me while down shifting, almost blew my eardrums out lol it wasnt load but its crazy how much...bass i guess would be the word, there exhausts have

JC: im willing to spend the $2XX on a quality header, i just dont want it to crack like the one i have now is. ill try to get a pic of the crack(s)...its awful

just: CBE will come later...and thats a whole other story (getting a good sound, without it sounding too ricey), right now im trying to fix the cracked header...its making the car sound and run like crap

Protephile: im pretty new to protege's so im also stumped on the trim model. yes im in the U.S., Michigan to be exact...and the spedo reads MPH so i doubt the car was from canada...and it was listed as an 03, but its possible its not an 03

Mike: i see your from Detroit. im just west of Detroit, in Oakland County. and i would love to buy your header, but with christmas in a week....i just dont have the cash right now...

JC (again): WOW! i LOVE the sound of your car! at :07/:08 when the car shifts....wow. thats all i really can say. i would LOVE to get my car to sound like that!!

I can see this car costing me alot of money in the near future. Theres so many things i want!!

thanks for all the replies!

Back