Remote Starter

ganzhimself

:
2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatch
I'm thinking of buying and installing a remote starter in my 2003 P5 w/ Auto tranny. Car is equipped already with remote locks / panic button. I was wondering how difficult it is to install and if I should get just a starter kit or if I should spend some more and get the whole shebang (remote unlock/alarm). Does the P5 require any special bypasses or anything?

as long as you have a full vehicle wiring diagram and solid instructions for the new alarm, its just a lot of meticulous work.. only way to do it is to replace the factory system with the aftermarket one which can complicate things... maybe you could leave the factory system in parallel too... hmm... idk.

I think that if I get a system I'm going to have a local shop or whatever install it. Seeing as it's cold as hell out now and I don't like working out in the cold, might be worth the money to have someone else do it. Are there any special bypass modules required for the Protege/Protege5?

that one I have no idea.. replacing/paralleling/bypassing the factory system is what has stopped me from putting an aftermarket one in. I'd bet a shop would be OK with it, its just over my head.

that one I have no idea.. replacing/paralleling/bypassing the factory system is what has stopped me from putting an aftermarket one in. I'd bet a shop would be OK with it, its just over my head.

I think it's over my head too. There's way too much going on with the wiring under the dash for me to even want to bother with it.

P5s don't even have a factory alarm, so you wouldn't have to bypass anything.

I'm thinking of buying and installing a remote starter in my 2003 P5 w/ Auto tranny. Car is equipped already with remote locks / panic button. I was wondering how difficult it is to install and if I should get just a starter kit or if I should spend some more and get the whole shebang (remote unlock/alarm). Does the P5 require any special bypasses or anything?

Cool, so there's no fancy modules to add-on? I know for my Impala I had to buy an expensive add-on module to bypass the Passlock system, which drove up the install price considerably.

It is definitely a difficult job and is best left to professionals. Soldering 12 gauge wires while lying on your back in the footwell is no fun lol.

I installed my remote start/alarm/keyless with window control myself with supervision from professional installed and it literally took me 10 hours.

The P5 does not need an special modules for remote start. It is easier to just get a remote start with keyless entry, so you don't have to worry about having 2 remotes. Might as well do the alarm too, since it is not that much more work...

It is definitely a difficult job and is best left to professionals. Soldering 12 gauge wires while lying on your back in the footwell is no fun lol.

I installed my remote start/alarm/keyless with window control myself with supervision from professional installed and it literally took me 10 hours.

Yeah, that's not happening. I'm going to start calling around to see what it's going to cost. I really don't need the alarm, it's not like it's going to stop anyone motivated enough to steal the car anyway.

its not so much stealing the car, as stealing your s*** in the car that an alarm deturs.. most would be "smash and grab" theives will book it at the sound of an alarm.

its not so much stealing the car, as stealing your s*** in the car that an alarm deturs.. most would be "smash and grab" theives will book it at the sound of an alarm.

That's true... Especially with all the meth heads out there who will break into your car for a few bucks in loose change. Well, I'll have to see what a decent kit w/ alarm and good range will cost me to be installed.

Yeah, that's not happening. I'm going to start calling around to see what it's going to cost. I really don't need the alarm, it's not like it's going to stop anyone motivated enough to steal the car anyway.

For a remote start and keyless entry unit, you would be looking at about $100 - $150 for install...and then another ~$50 for the alarm install

The p5 does not have any type of transponder, and I would highly recomend getting it installed by a professional shop and go with what they sell, don't bring them one you purchased elsewhere. When people do that to me, 99% of the time I won't install it. If I do, I make sure that the customer realizes that there is ZERO warranty on the install.

I installed my 5901 (remote start, keyless, security), two 530T's (window roll up modules), a 529T(sunroof module), and a 515R (siren w/battery back-up) in my 02 5-speed P5 in around 4 hours. The P5 is a very easy car to put an aftermarket set up in. The keyless is the only kinda tricky thing, but the 451m that comes with most viper units makes that a hell of a lot easier.

Then again, I'm an MECP installer and I do this as my part-time job :)
So any professional installer shouldn't have any trouble at all.

For the p5 250 installed is what we would quote for our cheapest viper unit.

Best Buy quoted me $150 for the install for the install on one of their Viper units. Don't remember what one I was looking at, it was around $300, and was 2-way. I'm going to check with the local shops to see if any of them can beat that price.

300 for a 2-way installed sounds right, At that price it's probably a 5301. I hope they didn't quote you 150 installed on top of the 300, cause best buy factors their basic install into the price of the remote starter systems. Since the p5 is an easy vehicle the basic labor should cover everything.

Latest posts

Back