Knock/click engine noise

Dano2010

:
07 Speed3
I hope you guys can help me out with a noise that is between a knock and a click in my engine while at idle. I know I need to post a vid but dont have a camera right now, and just ran into this problem last night. The noise is an intermittent knock/click coming from the passenger side of the motor so its not CDFP nor is it the valves. I would think it might be the VVT pin thing but in the vids of those the click was constant and increased as the RPMs went up, mine is intermittent and goes away just off idle [or at least you cant hear it anymore]

Also, I just started tuning with ATR a month ago and have increased Boost and now I see that my CDFP is crapping out [due to sustained boost I guess] but my AFRs look good. I know what a V8 rod knock sounds like and this isnt it but maybe on this little 4 banger it could be?? Has anyone out there with a blown motor noticed a noise like this prior to Kaboom!!! Have 28K miles with moderate hammering, no tracking.

Thanks for any advice you may have!!

Attachments

• 120709-2.xls
    34.5 KB · Views: 83
The VVT pin will only make noise at start up. That sounds like you have a heat shield that is rattling than a tick.

Why do you rule out the valves? The valve train is notoriously loud...

I suppose a bad or going bad fuel injector could even be a possibility

I would get that fuel pump issue fixed/checked immediately and see if that helps...

Do you have any CELs?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I was ruling out the valves because I think I know what they sound like, a constant rattle/ticking wheras this sound is new and just started yesterday which appears to be coming from deaper in the engine and comes and goes, unfortunately like some rod knocks do. Since I have a DP there is only one heat sheild left, top of the exmaini and that is tight.

And yes now that I am running more boost for longer I need a new CDFP. for the longest I thought I was a lucky one and never saw PSI below 1600. Just switched from an Injen to a MACAI2 and now with more air and more boost = need more fuel...bummer another 600 gone.

I hope you guys can help me out with a noise that is between a knock and a click in my engine while at idle. I know I need to post a vid but dont have a camera right now, and just ran into this problem last night. The noise is an intermittent knock/click coming from the passenger side of the motor so its not CDFP nor is it the valves. I would think it might be the VVT pin thing but in the vids of those the click was constant and increased as the RPMs went up, mine is intermittent and goes away just off idle [or at least you cant hear it anymore]

Also, I just started tuning with ATR a month ago and have increased Boost and now I see that my CDFP is crapping out [due to sustained boost I guess] but my AFRs look good. I know what a V8 rod knock sounds like and this isnt it but maybe on this little 4 banger it could be?? Has anyone out there with a blown motor noticed a noise like this prior to Kaboom!!! Have 28K miles with moderate hammering, no tracking.

Thanks for any advice you may have!!

Do you hear the noise with the clutch pedal depressed?

yes its still there and actually easier to hear. Could the balance shaft make a "clunk" noise? It isn't there on a cold start and the engine has to be hot before it starts so I think I can forget about a rod issue. Maybe its nothing to worry about but I was tuning with ATR and did 5 hard runs to capture logs and that's when it started.

Back