Changed spark plugs, differential oil, and transfer case oil...WOW!!

skarab

:
Liquid Platinum 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
I switched out my transfer case and differential oil at 30K and it really felt like it made a big difference in the shifting. It may just be in my head though...but the gears feel like they shift much smoother. I used Amsoil and some other brand (maybe Mobil 1?) I don't remember since I couldn't find a single brand with both the weights I needed. I changed my spark plugs also with NGK ones and my uncle was on my case stating...."oh those plugs shouldn't need to be changed...they will last you 80K." Oh well I feel better about my engine with fresh plugs. (burnout) Any thoughts or concerns about

I had the same experience...bought mine, shifting was a real interesting experience. Changed the fluids, and shifting became a lot smoother. I'm getting smooth shifts now, more than missed ones, and when I miss it's a small jump instead of a big wallop from before. I haven't changed the plugs yet...I'm stock but I hear getting the Densos one step colder is fine even stock, so I'll probably do it at some point. Though, I'm not looking forward to taking the engine half apart to do it...intercooler, coil packs, it's a lot of stuff to pull to change the plugs out.

Yeah the plugs are easy once you get the shroud and intercooler pulled away enough to get underneath it.

I switched out my transfer case and differential oil at 30K and it really felt like it made a big difference in the shifting. It may just be in my head though...but the gears feel like they shift much smoother. I used Amsoil and some other brand (maybe Mobil 1?) I don't remember since I couldn't find a single brand with both the weights I needed. I changed my spark plugs also with NGK ones and my uncle was on my case stating...."oh those plugs shouldn't need to be changed...they will last you 80K." Oh well I feel better about my engine with fresh plugs. (burnout) Any thoughts or concerns about

Oh....forgot to say I changed the tranny oil too not just transfer case and rear differential......which would indicate the smoother shifting lol

what are the torque specs for the differential when changing the oil?

You shouldn't need to torque anything. There is no need to remove the PTO or rear differential (or transmission for that matter) when changing the gear oil for them. They have a fill tap and a drain plug that are easily accessible.

Latest posts

Back