Driver seat swap compatibility question

Lee MD

Contributor
:
2010 CX-9 AWD Touring
I don't know about you all, but I'm finding that the stock seats are not the most comfy after a long commute. Does anyone know if the seats on the Mazda 3 have more depth on the seat bottom? I was thinking of swapping since the 5 and 3 share lots of parts.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing that you need to make sure is if they share the same plugs for the side airbags... for the rest it's just a question of custom fit.

I thought about it, I will be hitting the auto show with a tape measure to see whats possible sunday. Also looking into visors with lights but thats another thread altogether. For now have you looked in on my other thread?

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123771131

Oh and they will NOT bolt right in, they are a different height altogether. If you look on www.metromotorparts.com you can get a parts diagram and compare the seat frames. More importantly, is there a matching interior on the 3 for the Sand interior on a 5?

Last edited:
The frame mounts are pretty easy to customize so its really more of an issue to see if the seat pads fit the power frame, if you can fabricate, its probably fairly easy. Unfortunately my auto show trip has been cancelled so I wont be able to measure anything. Anyone know if any Mazda had a memory seat with buttons built into the seat itself? That would be super slick!

power frame? The seats I found are manual.

As for the measurements, no worries. I am going to check out a MS3 locally.

Thanks.

It seems from the schematics that there is a seat height adjustment on the MS3 seats so that isn't a problem. I could toss in a couple of washers to raise the seat a bit if I needed to. The electronics under the seat should be able to clear the floor as is.

Yes there is a seat height adjuster like the 5 but if it starts to tilt the bottom forward when it goes up, you will have even less thigh support than you do now. Try the 1/2" spacer for a week and see if it works for you. It takes about 20 minutes to do and results are quite good.

Yes there is a seat height adjuster like the 5 but if it starts to tilt the bottom forward when it goes up, you will have even less thigh support than you do now. Try the 1/2" spacer for a week and see if it works for you. It takes about 20 minutes to do and results are quite good.

Ok I see now. I actually have support, but I hate having half my thigh not physically resting on the bottom cushion. When I test drove the 5, this was not something I noticed until I after I started commuting to work (about 1hr to drive 10 miles). When I drive my wife's Subaru Tribeca, I realize how much I want a deeper seat.

Back