Cams

Circuit

Low and Slow
:
03 Protege5
Wondering how well the JDM and CorkSport cams would work with an MP3 ECU on an NA Protege5. Are they worth it? What kind of gains will I see? Strange that the combo is much cheaper than the equivalents on protege garage, any comments on why?

The camshafts should work fine with your setup.

The intake camshaft will get you around 10-11hp. Adding the CorkSport exhaust camshaft if bumps it up to 15-16hp gain.

I am not sure how to answer the pricing differences. The price we offer the intake and the exhaust camshafts is $360 total plus shipping.

-Derrick

The camshafts should work fine with your setup.

The intake camshaft will get you around 10-11hp. Adding the CorkSport exhaust camshaft if bumps it up to 15-16hp gain.

I am not sure how to answer the pricing differences. The price we offer the intake and the exhaust camshafts is $360 total plus shipping.

-Derrick

Thanks Derrick! I will definitely look into adding them to my build!

I do not have back to back dyno results with the camshafts installed in a turbo model. I have seen dyno results from some people with a 17-20hp gain. I have also seen some people only get 13-14hp. The difference in numbers can be from all sorts of things like different dynos, the setups in the cars, the tune, a really humid day, the list goes on.

We have installed the camshafts in several turbocharged FS engines in our shop including the one below in the video showing the idle quality.

Link for the youtube video

-Derrick

from graphs you've seen so far , how much has power been shifted from low to mid or high end ??

I'm also interested in getting a set

you can't really notice a difference low end or atleast I couldn't but mid to high is insane. These are really worth every penny!

Derrick, how much work is involved? I'm looking to get into this, but want to know if I have to invest in cam gears, gaskets again, seals once I put the valve cover back on, approximately how many hours labor?

Thanks

Installation of the cams requires some stock parts and other option parts.

You will need to get cam seals, a valve cover gasket, and a tube of silicone.

When you have the engine taken down that far I recommend you change the water pump, timing belt, and crankshaft seal.

Cam gears are an optional.

If you change all of the parts I recommend you would be looking at 5-7 hours depending on the shop doing the work.

-Derrick

Man, I keep debating if I want to pick a set of cams up, but it's hard to decide without dyno results for a boosted application. I have been debating for several months now. Some say it's worth it and others say it isn't.

I could do some dyno work with my own car but it will be summer time until I get a chance to do a back to back dyno testing.

-Derrick

I could do some dyno work with my own car but it will be summer time until I get a chance to do a back to back dyno testing.

-Derrick

that would be great!! I always go to your website and it gets tempting to buy them, so I try to hold myself back until someone posts solid results with them.

Ive read conflicting reports regarding the Cams so any clarification would be great regarding this.

I have the U.K P5 and have been told the cams we have are Jdm? but also been told just to get the intake cam and swap the exhaust cam... or something along them lines. would you know anymore about this? (bow)

Last edited:
Ive read conflicting reports regarding the Cams so any clarification would be great regarding this.

I have the U.K P5 and have been told the cams we have are Jdm? but also been told just to get the intake cam and swap the exhaust cam... or something along them lines. would you know anymore about this? (bow)

Pull your valve cover and get the casting numbers from your cams. I have seen several different versions from european models of cars.

-Derrick

Back