2005 Mazda 3 Single CD player vs. 6-disc CD player

Kevin.

Hey guys.

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 and the bottom row of controls on my single CD player aren't working anymore. I'm looking at getting a replacement on eBay but I am wondering if a 6-disc will work with my car considering it didn't come with a 6-disc from the factory.

Will it bolt up exactly the same? Wire up the same? Also, is the CD changer in the dash unit or is it some kind of external CD changer in the trunk or somewhere else in the car that it works off of?

I think I read somewhere that the single CD player plays MP3's and the 6-disc will not.

Let me know if there is anything else I would need to swap a 6-disc into my car.

Thanks, Kevin. (2thumbs)

The changer is internal in the headunit. Non Bose headunits made before Jan. 2009 should all work for you. Bose 6 CD changers are not amplified so they won't work as a direct replacement if your car didn't have the Bose system. MP3 capability depends on the year I think.

The changer is internal in the headunit. Non Bose headunits made before Jan. 2009 should all work for you. Bose 6 CD changers are not amplified so they won't work as a direct replacement if your car didn't have the Bose system. MP3 capability depends on the year I think.

Thanks a lot man!

Not quite correct. In 2006 the wiring for the LCD was separated from the HU and given it's own dedicated harness. A '06-'08 HU would work but nothing would be displayed on the HU. In '08.5 the main harness was changed from a 32 pin to a 30 pin, so a '08.5+ HU won't work in the '05 car. You're spot on about the bose though.

To the OP. For a direct swap you'll want to find a HU out of either a '04 or a '05 model. The only real difference between the two is the '04 did not have the SAT button and weren't compatible with sirius. If you have the OEM sirius (or are planning on getting it) then you'll need a '05 HU.

For the CD changer. The changer is integral with the HU, and you can swap a 6CD for a single CD with no problems whatsoever. Make sure to check the new HU has the 6CD logo by the left of the CD slot as all of the HUs have the load/eject buttons.

For Mp3 capability. From '04-'05 there was an accessory only (i.e. didn't come standard on any trim levels) single CD/Mp3 player. For '06-'08 there was an accessory only 6CD/Mp3 player. For '08.5+ all HU's play Mp3 standard.

I believe it would be possible to mix and match components. You could theoretically get any year HU and just take the front panel off of it. Likewise you could try to swap just the changer from a newer Mp3/6CD changer onto a '04-'05 HU.... in theory. In theory communism works. In any case your best bet is going to be with a '04-'05 HU for a direct swap.

Ask for Mazda 3 navigation help

Hello everybody, I'm from Bulgaria and I have a few questions about Mazda 3 Factory build in GPS navigation system.

1. I know that the model is CN... from Panasonic but i have no other information.
I want to ask someone for firmware updete and for OS type of that navigation. Can i update it's OS for example with WinCE?

Sincerely
Rain_max

Back