After all this time

Welcome!!!
Now get that 80mm MSP exhaust on the market....and please tell me your adding that 3"dp to the line up

We are working on the 80mm exhaust, it should be available soon.

-Derrick

definitly on the market for a 3 inch downpipe, my corksport S pipe has held very well in the last 3 years!

would love to upgrade

definitly on the market for a 3 inch downpipe, my corksport S pipe has held very well in the last 3 years!

would love to upgrade

DO you see any gains from the corkport dp? will it bolt up to the vibrant exhaust? will just the s pipe bolt up to the vibrant exhaust?

its a factory replacement to the stock parts, so the vibrant fits

i cant say i saw a gain, but i love having it

We do not have a 3 inch downpipe for the MSP and I do not have a yes or no answer on the development of one either.

-Derrick

No. We're not. :-(

Now, that being said we wouldn't be against making one in the future, but it is nowhere in the pipeline right now.

When we do decide to make products, we look at what the need is, how manufacturable the parts are, what the market looks like, etc. These are all things that would be necessary for us to investigate prior to putting resources toward that product.

I'll have a stock MSP here for the next two weeks and I'll take a look at what our options could be while I'm under there and I'll come back and ask some more questions once I rough out what potential exists and most importantly how manufacturable that design is, after looking over the stock setup.

:D

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer

I can tell you the market is great. Alot of MSPs and boosted proteges are at the point where we have the full 3" exhaust with larger turbos ect. We lack a true 3" DP and the demand is high. The ones that are in production are small backyard projects that lack true R&D and don't already have a solid DP on the market like you guys have. In all reality Corksport is our only real hope for a DP in the near future.
WILL YOU HELP US????

Tough call. I have a stock MSP that I picked up from a customer today that is bone stock.

It's just such a tight fit in there. I have some flange ideas that might assist in getting around that initial corner to flow decently and get a standard L in there without a bunch of hand massaging prior to welding the pipe to the flange. But I guess what I was getting at last time is that this isn't something that we'll be doing overnight. We really need to just look over it and see what the options are. Unfortunately what you're seeing with the backyard projects, etc is that you can probably do it but it's immensely time consuming and the repeatability is difficult, etc. No matter how hard you try you'll find that improving the manufacturability through methods like casting or complex machined parts that improve the actual fabrication of the part all cost money. It's tough to hit a decent price point and achieve the nearly impossible simultaneously. ;-)

But let me run it through at next week's R&D Meeting and discuss.

Jason Griffith
CorkSport Mazda Performance

Jason

Talked about the 80mm DP at yesterday's R&D meeting and took a look over the car and our current design and I've got to say at this point, the requirements to make a quality product are going to be substantially expensive. There are a number of substantial design constraints that would limit our abilities to be successful at something like this without a horrendous installation process and/or expensive stainless casting or billet stainless machined flange would be really difficult. It would almost certainly also require a stainless coolant line that would replace the majority of the lower radiator hose as the 80mm pipe would be extremely close to that hose and it would melt without a doubt. I could see us expanding to an 80mm diameter at the J in our current design or perhaps just a bit upstream of that. But right now, this is not something we'll be investing a large amount of time in designing.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd prefer to keep you in on our reasoning rather than leave you all in the dark.

That being said, our current design most certainly flows a hell of a lot better than the stock cast S pipe.

Jason Griffith
CorkSport Mazda Performance

thanks for letting us know, That seems to be the same answer from everyone else that has looked into this damn 3"dp. I figured if anyone could it would be you guys!!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a few more questions for Mr. Corksport...

1. Nobody ever said your downpipe for the MSP increased horsepower. Are there any gains at all? Even 1 HP? I'm just curious

2. Our stock turbo spools very quickly as it is, does adding your dp risk hurting the tranny or anything like that?

3. Your website says motor mounts are required for a warranty. I am thinking about some inserts instead. Would that be sufficient?

4. If all my requirements are met, I already have the Vibrant J-pipe back exhaust and therefore would only need the s-pipe. Is there any way I would be able to order the s-pipe alone without buying one used?

Thanks.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a few more questions for Mr. Corksport...

1. Nobody ever said your downpipe for the MSP increased horsepower. Are there any gains at all? Even 1 HP? I'm just curious

2. Our stock turbo spools very quickly as it is, does adding your dp risk hurting the tranny or anything like that?

3. Your website says motor mounts are required for a warranty. I am thinking about some inserts instead. Would that be sufficient?

4. If all my requirements are met, I already have the Vibrant J-pipe back exhaust and therefore would only need the s-pipe. Is there any way I would be able to order the s-pipe alone without buying one used?

Thanks.

#1 I will see if I can get a dyno sheet for just the downpipe installation before and after for our downpipe. This is really tough though. Most of the time the downpipes get installed with other parts making a back to back dyno sheet hard to come by. Downpipes normally make power by increasing boost by being less restrictive.

#2 Any mod you make to the MSP is a risk to the transmission. I hate to say it but I worry for the gearbox in my MP3 with the huge turbo I have.

#3 Inserts are fine. There just needs to be something in there beside the POS stock mounts.

#4 The weld point for the original flange at the S pipe is still there. You can cut the downpipe there if you wanted to connect it to the vibrant system. I recommend getting a flange to weld to the downpipe

-Derrick

Hmm. I think I should probably source one of your old model s-pipes rather than cut a brand new one. Thanks for the answers.

Back